Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at grain mills and have a question.....

Have any of you actually used one? Specifically the manual non electric type. But if uou do use an electric one, have you used it with a solar charged set up.

How long does it take to grind out a pound of flour? Do you even bother grinding a pound of flour. And are the manufacturers right about the stones lasting a decade or longer with moderate use?

And is there any brand to steer clear of or is the a certain set up that has hidden advantages over the others?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have one that my mom gave me, I can't remember the maker off hand but it is electric and cost new over $400 20 years ago. It still grinds flour like it did the first day with no noticable wear. I wouldn't want to hand crank mill because the electric turns the stones so much faster. Mine has a control on the back that control the texture of the flour by moving the grinding stones. You can turn out a pound of flour in minutes.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
We have a Country Living mill and love it. We do not have the conversion for electric for it and decided not to get that. Inor mounted it on a board and we clamp it onto a counter when using it. It takes Inor about an hour to grind 4 to 5 cups of flour. It would probably be less time without the beer, but then he would complain too much.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I bought the Wonder jr. I think it may be a bit faster than the country living mill just from what MrsInor said, I can grind enough flour to bake a loaf of bread in about a half hour. Not sure how much it is in pounds, great cardio, but be sure to put it somewhere that you can use both hands interchangeably.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have some ancient grinder that smells like Grandma when it's grinding...you know the smell I mean. It takes 20 mins to do a hopper which would be more than enough to do a loaf but I haven't measured the output. I am only keeping this until I afford a Country Living. Country Living (same with Wonder Jr.) has a flywheel that can attach to an electric motor or a bicycle, so you can have bicycle power when the power goes out. I have operated one briefly by hand and they are both quiet and smooth - the kids love playing with it.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I use a country Living mill for grinding my chicken feed

Automotive tire Wheel Wood Motor vehicle Gas

Sorry for the poor shot, I took this a couple minutes ago in my garage after dark.

I used a 110v motor off of a salvaged Harbor Freight drill press, and had to step it down from the 1760rpm that the motor gave to about 120rpm

That explains the double pulley system

The country grain mill is REALLY FREEKING SLOW to put out "flour"

I do have a hand crank that would fit on the flywheel, I use this to grind my chicken feed so my grind is a lot coarser.

IMO the country Mill is the BEST FREEKING GRAIN MILL ON THE MARKET

Edit
I built a "hopper" on top of the grain mill out of scrap cardboard, so it will hold more grain, not needed but convenient.

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Montana, I have a central machine drill press from Harbor Freight..... works fine. Harbor freight is that one place thay I go in with one thing in mind and come out with a buggy full lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts