Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
@Steve40th

Heirloom and/or open-pollinated varieties produce seed that carries the characteristics of the parent plant, provided you control pollination. Some hybrids produce sterile seeds, but even if the seeds aren't sterile, you can't predict the characteristics of the offspring plants. They could be inferior in terms of disease resistance, eating quality, keeping quality or general vigor. Or they could be fine. There is, as I said, no way to know.

Calorically dense crops include all the root crops plus shelling beans and winter squashes.
That is all true.......if @Steve40th plans to save seed from those crops and hopefully he does, or he has to buy plenty enough seed to last a few years.

Most of the time hybrid seeds/plants, have better growth & vigor, pest & disease resistence and more harvest.......but no saving seeds for future crops.

Open pollinated seeds usually do very well and saving seeds for the future is fine.

Heirlooms, like open pollinated, can do well but may require more TLC and more susceptible to problems BUT saving seeds from heirlooms is ensuring that seed is available for future generations......which can be a great thing for old & rare varieties.

As for carrots......I just think it was a bad year for carrots, period. I planted mine 5 or 6 times in different areas and got maybe a handful. Tried again in late summer for a fall crop in a different bed, and still nothing. :vs_mad:

· Registered
8,215 Posts
I disagree. Most supermarket produce is grown from hybrid, not GMO, seed. But we can still be friends, right? I once mentioned in a FB group that Burpee didn't sell GMO seeds and the Admin banned me.
One of the first GMO foods were tomatoes. The other thing to think about concerning grocery store produce is, some GMO crops cannot be grown in the USA, but the crops can be imported and sold.

I try to save seeds if the cultivar is not a PITA to save seed for. I only grow heirloom and open pollinated varieties.

· Registered
2,323 Posts
That is all true......

As for carrots......I just think it was a bad year for carrots, period. I planted mine 5 or 6 times in different areas and got maybe a handful. Tried again in late summer for a fall crop in a different bed, and still nothing. :vs_mad:
I know for certain that it was the grasshoppers in my garden. The carrots were thick with them. I'm using nolo bait next year.

Now the beans...I don't know if you remember me talking about my pole beans not setting fruit, but they weren't even into August. I thought it was something I was doing, but then I found out that my neighbor's beans were doing the same thing. We both got a late start with them (for different reasons) so that may have had something to do with it but I'm not sure. And my scarlet runner beans didn't set a single pod. How weird is that?

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I know for certain that it was the grasshoppers in my garden. The carrots were thick with them. I'm using nolo bait next year.

Now the beans...I don't know if you remember me talking about my pole beans not setting fruit, but they weren't even into August. I thought it was something I was doing, but then I found out that my neighbor's beans were doing the same thing. We both got a late start with them (for different reasons) so that may have had something to do with it but I'm not sure. And my scarlet runner beans didn't set a single pod. How weird is that?
Since beans are usually one of my best crops, I'd say that's pretty weird. Since both of you had the same problem, maybe the grasshoppers or some pests ate the flowers??? I will say I did have issues with my beans but I think it had more to do with the soil in that/those spots. I have 3 towers and normally they are all loaded but this year 1 tower only grew beans on 2 sides (north/east), another tower grew beans on 2 opposite sides (south/west) and the third tower didn't grow anything....the beans that did manage to grow did great

· Registered
2,323 Posts
Since beans are usually one of my best crops, I'd say that's pretty weird. Since both of you had the same problem, maybe the grasshoppers or some pests ate the flowers??? I will say I did have issues with my beans but I think it had more to do with the soil in that/those spots. I have 3 towers and normally they are all loaded but this year 1 tower only grew beans on 2 sides (north/east), another tower grew beans on 2 opposite sides (south/west) and the third tower didn't grow anything....the beans that did manage to grow did great
The bush beans I had planted in my garden tower were fine. It was so frustrating about the pole beans because they're usually so reliable. Nothing was eating the flowers, they just weren't making any beans. Like I said...weird. I kept thinking how terrifying it would be to have a crop fail like that if you were in a survival situation.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I kept thinking how terrifying it would be to have a crop fail like that if you were in a survival situation.
I've thought the same or similar.......every year I try to grow as much of our food as possible to last a year (next years harvest season) and nearly every year there are a handful of things that just don't produce and I've wondered how in the heck have we survived as a species if you can't get the food to grow.

I guess they just relied on the crops that did well and went without those that didn't.

· Registered
2,323 Posts
I've thought the same or similar.......every year I try to grow as much of our food as possible to last a year (next years harvest season) and nearly every year there are a handful of things that just don't produce and I've wondered how in the heck have we survived as a species if you can't get the food to grow.

I guess they just relied on the crops that did well and went without those that didn't.
Or they starved. The Irish potato famine killed 20 to 25% of the population.

· Registered
8,215 Posts
These are varieties of tomatoes I plant:

Eva purple ball

Roma
Disease resistant
determinant

Abe Lincoln
Heirloom 12 oz. acidic indeterminate continuous harvest

Box car Willie
Heirloom 12-18 oz.
Blight resistant

Big boy

Early girl

Amish paste
Heirloom ½ pound indeterminate

Big red
Heirloom indeterminate 1.5 pds

Rutgers Determinante
Wilt resistant

Large red (hancock shaker village seed)
Indeterminate
Med size may be lobed

Manitoba
determinante
Very early

Moskvich
Semi-determinant

I put in 60 plants this year and gave away many starts

· Registered
2,323 Posts
These are varieties of tomatoes I plant:

Eva purple ball

Roma
Disease resistant
determinant

Abe Lincoln
Heirloom 12 oz. acidic indeterminate continuous harvest

Box car Willie
Heirloom 12-18 oz.
Blight resistant

Big boy

Early girl

Amish paste
Heirloom ½ pound indeterminate

Big red
Heirloom indeterminate 1.5 pds

Rutgers Determinante
Wilt resistant

Large red (hancock shaker village seed)
Indeterminate
Med size may be lobed

Manitoba
determinante
Very early

Moskvich
Semi-determinant

I put in 60 plants this year and gave away many starts
Sixty!!! How do you keep up with the harvest? How much of it do you can?

· Registered
8,215 Posts
Sixty!!! How do you keep up with the harvest? How much of it do you can?
I got hit broadside in my truck this summer, neck injury, kind of lost a lot. of garden...had plants in, could not tend them well. Lost most of tomatoes. My best year I canned 15-gal sauce (sauce with all the fixins).

My peppers did OK, I hired a friend to transplant my starts/potted, have harvested those: Bells. habaneo, hot cherry, cayanne, jalepeno, some canned/frozen/pickeled.

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,155 Posts
I got hit broadside in my truck this summer, neck injury, kind of lost a lot. of garden...had plants in, could not tend them well. Lost most of tomatoes. My best year I canned 15-gal sauce (sauce with all the fixins).

My peppers did OK, I hired a friend to transplant my starts/potted, have harvested those: Bells. habaneo, hot cherry, cayanne, jalepeno, some canned/frozen/pickeled.
Hope you're feeling better now.

· Registered
2,323 Posts

I hope you're feeling better. I am curious about how long 15 gallons of sauce lasted you.

· Registered
8,215 Posts
I hope you're feeling better. I am curious about how long 15 gallons of sauce lasted you.
A long time. It was for times like this summer when a lot of stuff did not get put up, or a crop failure. I've got a few (8?) gallons from years past so I'm not busted, some is just tomatoes and not sauce. Same with other stores: beans, beets, peaches,pickles.....

Spaghetti sauce is one of my main stores. Just add some pasta, meat and cheese and it's close to complete nutrition. My sauce has lots of peppers, onions, garlic, wild mushrooms, basil, oregano, hot pepper .

My neck is still screwed from the truck hit. I can't turn my head around on one side. But God was good enough to let me heal up pretty well. Had to fight with at fault party's insurance carrier, this was June, I might have the truck back/fixed next week. Truck is a 1985, no rust/bondo/accidents ever 32,000 original miles. I was so pissed my neck didn't hurt when it happened......:vs_mad:

· Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I have tried Burpee seed tapes two times. Beets and also carrots. Both times the tapes were a giant failure. Big $ and very poor results. In both tests I also planted regular seeds from packets in the same soil, and both times the packet seeds did much better.

· Registered
Bugging IN
203 Posts
I've had best results starting seeds in water like Aerogarden and IDOO then transplanting. Exception is bean seeds which like it warmer. Nice to see them germinated instead of wondering what's happening in soil.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts