Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First i want to thank you for the wealth of information in this forum i have learned a lot here :)
I got ton of candles and ligthers and been thinking on buying flashlights.how long can i store batteries? What about pest control? I figure there will be flies all over so i stock up on fly tape and mosquito coils, also got a citronella bucket candle but can i stock up on raid for long term?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well for the batteries Durrcell and Energizer are claiming a 10 year self life, and as far as pest control, .97 cent fly swatter.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well for the batteries Durrcell and Energizer are claiming a 10 year self life, and as far as pest control, .97 cent fly swatter.
Agree 100%... the local "swat team" won't be around so we are all on our own.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
You might want to study what it takes to make a citronella candle. I honestly don't know, but its possible the ingredents don't have the limited shelf life the finished product might and you could easily store up enough of those ingredients to insure you are not without. I agree with you its an area of concern. I have probably 20 cans of bug spray but I doubt they have enough shelf life. You may also want to consider a bug zapper and corresponding solar panel to charge it up and run it for a few hours each evening - though I think they use lots of juice. As for batteries I'd definitely invest in rechargable batteries - I've heard there are many that can last much longer then the typical over the counter types. Again a single solar panel, inverter and charger and you can have daily battery charging.

·
8,976 Posts
I talked with engineers at the big 3. They all say that once the chemical process is started (even by turning the light or whatever on just to test it) the battery life drops to maybe 3 or 4 years at best even if you never turn the light on again.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
This universally applies to all problems so listen up. The best way to combat a problem is not to have it in the beginning. That means if you are averse to flies, keep your stuff clean. Reduce putrid waste near the home, burn your fecal material fast - that includes pet poop.

Some pests like mosquitoes are going to be pests. Can't avoid them. Best bet is to prep clothing that keeps them away from the skin.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The only 2 companies I know of making the very low self discharge alkaline batteries is Duracell with their Duralock batteries and Energizer with their Energizer Max. But Duracell Duralock has a specification of 80% capacity after 10 years and I can't find any specification on Energizer Max after 10 year storage so until they release that info I will buy the Duracell Duralock.

One Rechargeable batteries I buy the low self discharging ni mh batteries. Most Low self discharge batteries are not labeled and are sold as pre-charged NiMh batteries. AA batteries should have a rating of at least 2300 mahr There are batteries that have higher mahr ratings but will not hold a charge as long. I always try to buy things that will use AA instead of AAA batteries as they cost the same but AA has twice the storage. Be very careful if you buy any D recharge NiMh batteries a lot have the same rating as their AA batteries. Tenergy has D Ni-MH batteries rated at 10000 mahr where as Energizer's D Ni-Mh batteries are only 2500 mahr the same as some of their AA batteries.

I store some Lithium Ultimate Energizer because they have the longest shelf life 12 years. highest capacity 3000 mahr. and are the lightest. But mainly for things like Eotech sights because they will work at very low temperatures.
For pest control I suggest going on Amazon.com and buying 1 quart bottles of Bifen xts (bifenthrin) 25.1 % and or Permethrin sfr 36.8% These are industrial strengths and when properly diluted with water will make many gallons of insecticide like you buy at Walmart usual strength is Bifenthrin .06% to .12% (Ortho Home Defense Max is .05% Bifenthrin) Permethrin is usually used at .25% to .5% but is faster acting. Each bottle comes with dilution information and charts.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Ask and you shall receive - awsome info on the chemicals. Do you know the shelf life of that stuff?

The only 2 companies I know of making the very low self discharge alkaline batteries is Duracell with their Duralock batteries and Energizer with their Energizer Max. But Duracell Duralock has a specification of 80% capacity after 10 years and I can't find any specification on Energizer Max after 10 year storage so until they release that info I will buy the Duracell Duralock.

One Rechargeable batteries I buy the low self discharging ni mh batteries. Most Low self discharge batteries are not labeled and are sold as pre-charged NiMh batteries. AA batteries should have a rating of at least 2300 mahr There are batteries that have higher mahr ratings but will not hold a charge as long. I always try to buy things that will use AA instead of AAA batteries as they cost the same but AA has twice the storage. Be very careful if you buy any D recharge NiMh batteries a lot have the same rating as their AA batteries. Tenergy has D Ni-MH batteries rated at 10000 mahr where as Energizer's D Ni-Mh batteries are only 2500 mahr the same as some of their AA batteries.

For pest control I suggest going on Amazon.com and buying 1 quart bottles of Bifen xts (bifenthrin) 25.1 % and or Permethrin sfr 36.8% These are industrial strengths and when properly diluted with water will make many gallons of insecticide like you buy at Walmart usual strength is Bifenthrin .06% to .12% (Ortho Home Defense Max is .05% Bifenthrin) Permethrin is usually used at .5% but is faster acting. Each bottle comes with dilution information and charts.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Ouch - 3 year shelf life bummer
Permethrin SFR 36.8% - 1 Quart Help - Questions and Answers - DoMyOwnPestControl.com

Both are 3 years
Bifen XTS

According to post responses.
At the time I did some research and it seems that just like medicines the actual date is mush longer, in fact when looking at several products that uses these chemicals there is no exploration date on them. Also like most things they don't just stop working but lose some of it potency. For clothing you may want to get Permethrin that is non-oil base. The army use permethrin in .5% to 1% for clothing and tents. Sawyer insect repellent for clothing sells for $9 dollars for 9 oz and permethrin is the only listed active ingredient at .5% To make .5% from 36.8% Permethrin you just mix 1.2/3 fluid oz to 126 1/3 oz of water to make 1 gallon. You can use Bifen but at a much reduced rate.

I think this may be one of the most overlooked area in preppering But don't ever take someones word for anything and do your own research as you have.
PS: Permethrin should not be used around cats.

·
Registered
277 Posts
A couple years ago I bought 2 of those flashlights that wind up. they no longer hold a charge and you have to crank them the entire time you want light.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
A couple years ago I bought 2 of those flashlights that wind up. they no longer hold a charge and you have to crank them the entire time you want light.
I purchased one of these called a Energizer Solar crank and so for it has been doing ok but the battery doesn't hold a charge very long I took one apart in hope to replace the internal batteries with regular NIMh rechargeable AA batteries but they use very small rechargeable batteries and didn't have room internally for larger batteries. But in a SHTF situation I would mount some 2300 mah AA batteries on the out side. They seem to have a very good crank generator inside.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I store batteries in a cool dark room and they seem to work fine - ive been keeping them for years without a problem. i also have about 40 rechargeable ones with a solar charging unit. I have been using 4 rechargeable AA batteries in my flashlight for the past 3 years, charging them and putting them back in the flashlight. I would estimate they have kept about 95% of their charge. As for insects, I have a few gallons containers of yard bug spray. I figure I can use that in a spray bottle with some water in a pinch.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
To keep flies out of the kitchen, Put a bucket of shit in the living room... Old joke, couldnt resist,
I have about ten cans off, and 8 pump spray bottles I picked up last year, but being very active after dark outside, we keep the little ones sprayed down. I expect between two vehicles and all our adventures, we will use them all this summer. I have some citronella, but I personally cant stand the smell, I have a "bloodhounds nose", but If I was out for any exteneded time, i would rather hate the smell than be bitten.
I have some batteries i need to cycle through, and I will hopefully invest in the rechargable batteries soon.
There is an interesting flashlight test on youtube, regarding dollar tree batteries vs. higher price, and its pretty interesting.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
1. Keep screens on your windows

2. Fill a plastic Baggie with water and put in 2 pennies and hang where flies congregate, they will avoid the area.

3. Wear loose fitting long sleeve shirts and pants, smoke them in a fire for extra effect, cotton or silk are best as it breathes.

4. A fly net that fits over our brimmed hat, also doubles as good camouflage if its green.

5. Gloves as per the job and weather.

6. Eat a couple cloves of garlic and go naked.

7. Chickens in abundance

8. Proper waste disposal, keep livestock away from the house.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts