Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to keep my hands dry and warm which means waterproof, breathable and some sort of insulation. I'm sick of cold wet hands, seriously.

I don't work outside except around the house like shoveling and whatever. They are for everyday wear and light work around the house. Let's just say also for sitting outside at sporting events or whatnot.

Please help, there are a world of them out there and all have good and bad comments. I just want something that will work. Everything I buy always get wet and my hands freeze

Examples:

Amazon.com: Heritage Extreme Winter Glove: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Carhartt Men's W.B. Waterproof Windproof Insulated Work Glove, Black, Large: Clothing

·
Registered
634 Posts
I learned this weekend I need a nicer pair, was out on the last hunting trip this weekend up in the mountains. 4 hours in 18 degrees on a 4 wheeler and the gloves I had just did not cut it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I know what ya mean. We had the first winter storm advisory this weekend here in Montana. I had some friends form Florida here huntin elk and deer and it was down to 10 degrees. I have one of the Volt Heat vests I keep over my first layer and use the rest of the layers as insulation. I was NICE an toasty except for my feet and hands. I picked up a pair of 60 below Muck Boots and they are awesome. I am still trying out gloves. I am prlly goin to grab some of the Volt ones but just have to be careful here on the ranch not to tear em up..

I am all about being comfortable.. I have had a few people say that if something were to happen, I couldn't charge the batteries for the vest. I have a solar charger that will work till the batteries are worn out. We even have several sets of extra batteries that we got with the vests.. It was 17 this mornin and we were out sorting cows for shipping and I got hot and had to turn the vest down.. I have suffered in the cold in the Marines and overseas as a contractor. I am all about being comfortable now..

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I just use hand warmers a dollar a pair at Walmart or get them on Amazon.com by the balk and the things last for 10 hours. They work by a chemical reaction with oxygen so they will last a long time if not opened. They make feet warmers (the only difference is the feet warmers have a sticky tape on the bottom of them) and some big chest warmers also .
Amazon.com: HeatMax Hot Hands 2 Handwarmer (40 Pairs): Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
They might make you feel like a six year old, but mittens will outperform gloves about 100% of the time as long as what you are doing does not require manipulating things with your fingers.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If it is cold enough for gloves I wear mittens over the gloves and then when I need to go "digital" I remove the mittens.

Reactions: Inor and jimb1972

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use snowboarding gloves. If you live close to a town I would make a trip into a good sporting good store and see if they have any. Or good skiing gloves.

Sounds like you might need some heavy duty Gore-tex gloves. The non Gore-tex gloves are cheaper and work good. The non Gore-tex gloves use a coating to make them water tight.

I mainly use the Gore-tex ones, and they have lasted me for years. They are basically a Gore-tex shell with insulated hand warmers. Draw string on the top so snow cannot get it. Might cost you $60 or even 80. But they will last for years. Especially snowboarding gloves like Burton etc. They are made for abuse. And believe it or not have very good dexterity for your fingers. These are mainly for very cold weather. Different temperatures different gloves.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
For working try something like these

Wells Lamont 194 Heavyweight Fully Coated PVC Glove, Acrylic Winter Knit Lining, 12-inch Gauntlet Cuff, One-size, Blue - Amazon.com

Or

Cold Resistant PVC Gloves in Orange, Large

You cannot imagine how superior these are to most gloves, often you can find them at farm supply stores in black.

Besides that if you feel like fabric gloves search out ski gloves, they are usually better than most hunting gloves for waterproofness
I use the Wells 194 around the ranch a lot when I'm workin.. Just not building fence.. Then I just use a good insulated leather glove.. It's always nice when it is so cold that even the gloves stick to the wire..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts