Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, can anyone suggest a good, reliable rifle for someone with some, but not tons of experience shooting? I would want to include it as part of my survival kit. I was thinking Remington 700 based on my research but then started thinking maybe a shotgun would be better for self defense due to the spread of the shot requiring less accuracy. Also, is rimfire vs centerfire preferred?

Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I really like my Henry Repeating Arms because not only does it store completely in the stock but it's a great rifle to teach people how to shoot.

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Remington 700 isn't a bad choice but I would recommend finding an older used one because the new ones are made with questionable manufacturing. I would suggest something with more round count like an AR or AK but if you want to stay more to the hunting type weapon, how about a Model 94? I know the collectivity of these weapons and the single action shooting society (SASS) has really driven the price up but mossberg is know making an affordable version called the 464.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

You have opened a can of worms with bringing up shotguns and it has been discussed to no end here on the site but if you decide, both Mossberg and Remington will fit the bill. I like the Remington 870 because it is what I'm trained on and I like the ease of cleaning, dissemble/assembly. The shotgun is hard to beat as the most versatile weapon because of the many types of ammo available, lengths of barrels, and chokes.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm sure you will get lots of different opinions for your question. There is no one holy grail, right for everyone, perfect survival rifle for the beginner. The Ruger 10/22 and the Remington 870 come pretty close though. You wouldn't be wrong with either.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Allot depends on the terrain and vegetation of where you will be. If it is heavily wooded and you usually can't see game that is further away then 100 yards, then a Remington 700 may not be your best choice. If you can routinely see several hundred yards then it would make sense. Then what is the most common game in your area. Do you think that most of the meat that you will get will be small game or larger game like deer? Personally I think that if you are planning on deer, they are going to become scarce real fast if things go south. There will be hundreds if not thousands of people hunting them. Allot will depend on the population density in your area, and you should plan on it going up dramatically if you live in the country.

A Remington 700 is a good weapon. So is a lever action 30-30, but both of them require some shooting skill, as do ALL firearms, but some seem to need more then others. A shotgun is more forgiving then others and probably is the quickest for becoming proficient with. My suggestion is for right now get a shotgun until you can become more proficient in firearms, and then go to a local range and do so. Get some marksmanship training and then practice, practice, practice. Once you do that, then you can move on to other firearms if you so desire. Before you do, sit down and think about where you will be, what the terrain and foliage will be like, how far will most of your shots be, and what you will be shooting at. Generally speaking if you are just starting out a shotgun may be your best choice, but only YOU can determine that. Just remember that. No one else giving all this advice actually knows where you live, where you plan on going, how proficient you are with specific weapons, and how much you are planning on spending. Only YOU do.
All good advise.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Question 1

If your choice is between a Center Rifle and a Shotgun, I think I would be more inclined to take the Remington 700 or similar. Yes the shotgun has more potential as long as the ranges stay pretty short. The ammo is heavy, bulky and range is limiting. Grab 100 rounds of shotgun ammo and grab 100 rounds of 308 or better yet 223 and tell me what you think? Do you want to own the next 50 yards of realestate or the next 300 yards? Is this strictly for survival or is it for BO only? Whats the area like where you will most likely find yourself, wooded area, open areas, suburbs, these are some questions you need to ask yourself first cause what works or makes sense to me might be a hole nother thing for you!

Question 2

For strictly survival the 22 makes a lot of sense especially in a long term situation. Its light, compact cheap to feed and its capable of covering a lot of situations. However if your in an area where there are bears or where you might find yourself in a brief fire fight (not that anyone in their right mind would go looking for one but sometimes "it" happens) then I would lean more towards the Center Fire Rifle instead.

There is a lot more that could be said on this subject but those where your two questions and that's my thoughts on the subject to that end.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Just to let you know, the snow is flying, I just put some veggies and pasta sauce in the slow cooker and I'm heading back out for a Buck. I'll be bringing my Rem 7600,with Leupold 3 x9 x 40 VXII,with 180 gr coreLokt Soft Point in 30/06.
Security Six with 158 gr JSP for my BUG

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Just to let you know, the snow is flying, I just put some veggies and pasta sauce in the slow cooker and I'm heading back out for a Buck. I'll be bringing my Rem 7600,with Leupold 3 x9 x 40 VXII,with 180 gr coreLokt Soft Point in 30/06.
Security Six with 158 gr JSP for my BUG
Good Luck! Don't forget to post us some pictures!

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
IMO, I'd go with the shotgun first. A nice pump with an added rifled barrel for hunting small to big. What ever you buy, get trained. Experienced, well trained people make enough mistakes. If you have children, have you given thought about how to secure it?

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you are looking for something for self Defence I would not recomend a 22 at all. a 700 is nice but I would not say great for protecting your self, it really is more of a hunting rifle. A Shotgun would be good or something in the AR or AK would be a much more universal weapon. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I prefer my 10/22 takedown to my Henry as a 22 takedown. If you are buying a gun for a SHTF then buy an AR 556. Then you can use 223 or 556 ammo.

If you are looking for an all round weapon for now and a SHTF then buy the Ruger Gunsite Scout with a long eye relief scope.

I have a lot of guns. If I had to grab 2 it would be my 10/22 takedown and my Ruger Gunsite Scout. If I had to grab one it would be my AR.

Everyone has a bias toward how they think things might play out. As long as you pick something with common ammo you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts