Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that 299 Days is a great book to read but what other books can one read that will help them devise plans for certain scenarios?
Are there books dedicated to BOB and weapons etc.

I apologize if there is already a thread about this but I'm on the tapatalk app and searching for threads is not too easy.

-Frank

·
Registered
280 Posts
Family Survival Course.....$27 [download]

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Its just my personal preference, but if you are prepared for an EMP type event (solar or man made) you are pretty
much ready for anything. I thus found "One Second After" a nice piece of fiction, and my reasoning is that its not
about preppers like say - Patriots and the other James Rawles books. Its about what happens to man kind, common
people, and communities in a SHTF situation; and there are a few references to "others" getting by better in the
book and reasons (very few but notable). As I said if you are prepaed for an EMP event - I think you can handle
just about anything God throws at ya.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
A worst-case SHTF scenario would be one that lasts many years such as in the aftermath of a plague that's wiped out nearly everybody on earth, forcing us to become self-sufficient and grow our own food and make our own basic things like candles etc to survive.
This is one of the best books I've seen on the subject, the artwork is sensational..:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lucky Jim that looks like a great book thank you very much!
I will have to check amazon for it. The illustrations in it look extremely helpful!
Does it cover plants in many regions or just one?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Here's my Disaster List in no particular order, some are obviously worse than others.
Most are survivable if we've simply got enough food/water to ride it out, but the worst are ones that last for years, forcing us to grow our own food to stay alive-

1- Chernobyl-type nuclear plant accident, but on a much bigger scale, poisoning an area as big as the USA or the whole of Europe and Asia.
2- Massive meteor or asteroid strike wiping out millions with blast and tsunami, and kicking up enough dust to black out the sun for years like what wiped out the dinosaurs.
3- World War 3 exchange of nuclear weapons poisoning virtually the entire planet.
4- A plague wiping out most humans on earth after accidental release from a bio research lab, or a deliberate release by terrorists to wipe out the population of a specific country, or perhaps a virus naturally evolves that has no cure.
5- EC Event (Economic Collapse) triggering total breakdown of law and order resulting in looting gangs etc.
6- EM pulse (from a solar flare or nuclear bomb) blows out the electricity grid and electronics, it'll be bad but hopefully the govt will have contingency plans to get relief food and medicine convoys up and running.
7- Mega-earthquake bigger than anything the earth has experienced before, demolishing a whole bunch of cities across countries or continents.
8- Mega-tsunami triggered by gigantic quake at sea, wiping out coastal areas for a hundred miles or more inland.
9- Runaway volcano that carries on spewing out dust and ash for months, throwing a grey wind-carried shroud around the planet blocking out sunlight and triggering subzero temperature drops.
10- Haywire weather (nonstop storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, floods etc) caused by global warming, pollution, ozone depletion etc
11- Race War where armed mobs invade each others districts on killing/looting/raping sprees

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Lucky Jim that looks like a great book thank you very much!
I will have to check amazon for it. The illustrations in it look extremely helpful!
Does it cover plants in many regions or just one?
Good question, it was written by the late John Seymour who lived the self-sufficient life on a farm in Wales so i suppose the book is geared more towards temperate climates such as Europe and most of the USA.
If somebody lives in a hotter or colder area such as Arizona or Alaska, or wet or dry, or up in the mountains they might need another book specializing in their own area.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great resources guys thanks!
Lucky Jim those are the scenarios that I see as being the ones ill plan for as that will also keep me covered for smaller disasters as well.
The book is probably suited for me then because I live in Michigan which is closer in latitude to the UK than the southern states.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
And don't forget to have a good look around this forum and subforums on all sorts of topics, there are plenty of experts here who you can ask for advice about anything

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And don't forget to have a good look around this forum and subforums on all sorts of topics, there are plenty of experts here who you can ask for advice about anything
Will do thanks so much! I'm getting a nook simple touch today because its on sale and you get a gift card when buying it. I will buy the first 299 Days book.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Currently reading "the road home" from that list of pdfs. Awesome, right up my alley..\
Also, there is a series of books about "rifters", that I loved, the first one is called "starfish" by Peter Weller, if you like the gritty sci-fi stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just read "one second after" wow of the four novels I have read in the jaundra it is by far the scareiest and realistic and definitly gets you Prepping.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just read "one second after" wow of the four novels I have read in the jaundra it is by far the scareiest and realistic and definitly gets you Prepping.
Hi, I'm punch. Long time listener, first time caller...I have one question and I'll hang up and listen for your answer... Does everyone get hepatitis? What is the basic plot and story line? Oh, and could I give a shout-out to my boys, "Pooky" and "Ray-ray". Thanks! Ravens rule! (Click Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumm)

·
Super Moderator
8,608 Posts
Hi, I'm punch. Long time listner, first time caller...I have one question and I'll hang up and listen for your answer... Does everyone get hepatitis? What is the basic plot and story line? Oh, and could I give a shout-out to my boys, "Pooky" and "Ray-ray". Thanks! Ravens rule! (Click Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumm)
This is a really good book punch. You should check it out. If you have trouble reading, it's available as an audiobook. I did the audio.

·
Registered
492 Posts
This is a really good book punch. You should check it out. If you have trouble reading, it's available as an audiobook. I did the audio.
no offense intended sir, just me being me...I will buy that book just because of your involvement. You're golden in my book. I still highly reccommend, "Curious George and the High Voltage Fence" and "Does This Look Infected?" by Michele Hussein "What the Hell Happened to My Eyebrows?" Bouvier Obama. (Two tumbs up)

punch

1 - 20 of 42 Posts