Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question...........
I hear a lot about people buying up small amounts of gold and silver to use for buying things in the event that TSHF.
Is this really feasable? Here's what I'm getting at: I have an apple that will feed me breakfast, along comes a stranger
with a small silver bar and ask's if I would be willing to sell/trade for my apple. Now, I'm hungry and I only have a few
apples; would I really be tempted to trade food for a useless (come on now) piece metal? That is after all what it is.....
So called precious metals and money are the same thing and when TSHF not only will currency be worthless in my opinion
so will the precious metals; you can't hunt, cook, or sleep with a piece of useless metal.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
634 Posts
in a True SHTF, Lead and brass will be worth it's weight in Gold and silver. with a little back powder between the two. Heck that apple will be worth way more than silver or gold. Personally I don't get the whole silver and gold thing for a true SHTF. there are going to be alot of things worth way more.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
There is that point of SHTF where silver and gold would have little value over food, water, good shelter, defense/safety, etc.

However there are two points in which gold and silver could be quite valuable - in the very begginning. NO one can tell how
SHTF might occur. Would it be instant like an EMP or would it take 6 months for our economy to deteriorate into pure hell?
No one knows - if its the later silver and gold would have significant value in that first six months - we'd probably see its
value reported on the rise dramatically - especially if we began suffering hyper inflation. There are reports of Jewish people
in Germany during the onset of the holocaust using gold bullion to buy their safe passage out of the country - clearly it can
have dramatic value - hence save you life.

After SHTF I predict our capitalist roots will shine through; and in that we'll need a monetary system. I'm not about to
trust one printed up - we've already been through that - but I'd trust silver and gold so long as I could identify it as real
and not worry about it being fake - IE pre 64 US coins, government minted coins like Maple Leafs / Eagles, etc. I think
in a post SHTF world these will be used to pay for labor, buy large ticket items like working equipment/vehicles, and
even land.

PS. Someone comes to me and wants to trade ammunition will probably scare me a whole lot more than someone that
has a traditional silver coin. And I also notice the typical "you can't eat" silver/gold comments usually come from those
who don't have it.

I hear a lot about people buying up small amounts of gold and silver to use for buying things in the event that TSHF.
Is this really feasable? Here's what I'm getting at: I have an apple that will feed me breakfast, along comes a stranger
with a small silver bar and ask's if I would be willing to sell/trade for my apple. Now, I'm hungry and I only have a few
apples; would I really be tempted to trade food for a useless (come on now) piece metal? That is after all what it is.....
So called precious metals and money are the same thing and when TSHF not only will currency be worthless in my opinion
so will the precious metals; you can't hunt, cook, or sleep with a piece of useless metal.
What are your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
What are your thoughts?
It's whatever is right for you. I buy silver in small amounts a time. You are correct that when the SHTF silver and gold will be useless. But what about afterward? Ok, you have an apple. But what about other needs? How do you plan to get what you don't have? Are you just gonna take what you need? Will someone else to that to you? You may have other things that you can trade. But what if no one needs what you have and you still have a need for whatever reason? How would you plan to handle that?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Imo, gold and silver are worthless. Food, hygeinic, alcohol, etc are worth what gold is today.
Like alluded to, what is all of fort knox to me if I'm hungry?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts

I agree with you that food, water, and shelter are key to survival. An example were the gold and silver are important is when events leading up to TSHF and times after TSHF. An example would be let say a person has all their savings in the bank or in the excepted paper money and the government anounces that all paper money is worthless and must be turned in for the new government printed money at $10 old money for $1 new money exchange rate. Gold and Silver are valuable world wide and have held their value thru the worst of times. If you are looking for a stable conservative investment it's hard to beat gold and silver but if your looking for barter material for TSHF, I would think guns, bullets, and survival needs would be better.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If that same guy walked up to you with a handful of bullets that would work in your gun would you trade it then. If the answer is yes then.....
I have silver/gold at the low end of my prep needs list but it would be nice to have a few of the small bars for after the SHTF calmed down. Thats when they would become valuable again IMO.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Again, gold and silver are stores of wealth. Bullets, alcohol and tampons are not. While one may have them on hand for barter, they are consumed and ghey evdntually deteriorate.
Silver and gold are means by which wealth may be transported, a standard for trade and ways with which wealth may be passed to future generations.

This has been understood through the millenia, during good times and continental chaos. You might not be able to grasp the concept, but that changes nothing at all. You will still be wise to store these items. Especially considering we are entering a time when national economies are in turmoil and the status of the dollar is quickly declining.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Imo, gold and silver are worthless. Food, hygeinic, alcohol, etc are worth what gold is today.
Like alluded to, what is all of fort knox to me if I'm hungry?
Give me an ounce of silver and I will feed you for two days.

By the way, nobody said forgo bullets for silver. Hungry? Shoot something.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Silver and gold will have value as a medium of exchange for goods and services when paper money has lost most or all of its value. It will allow for payment for those goods and services. For example, if a trench needs to be dug and food is available, people could be paid in silver, which then could be exchanged for food. People will not dig for the junk paper money, but if food can be bought with silver, and silver is offered for pay, people will dig, so they can eat.

You could pay them all with food, but silver and gold do not require anything be done to them (such as keep them fresh and not rotten) that food cannot offer. Plus food for 500 diggers takes up a lot of space. 500 pieces of silver fits in a box.

It would become currency again, in short.

Besides, everyone knows it has value, largely based on people's greed and desire to obtain something others see as precious.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What are your thoughts?
I stand somewhere in the middle. I am not buying any gold/silver at today's prices. But I'm not selling the gold/silver jewelry and coins I've had since the 1980's either. I buy whatever I can get the best value at the time. Right now it's things on clearance like camping, hunting, and fishing supplies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
#Ripon: Damn straight I don't have any, I'm a hunter/gatherer, not a slave to money. My bills get paid and like everyone else at the end of the week all I have left are more bills! What is that silver coin going to do for you? Who's going to decide what it's worth? You? Come on, like I said before, it's useless metal. The "governments" determine the value of their currency (which includes gold and silver), same goes for diamonds. And I gotta tell you, if I'm hungry and you need some work done, I don't have a problem doing your work but I'll be damned if, instead of food, I would do it for a metal that I either have to travel 2??? miles to spend or just can not use period----like wesley762 said, "Lead and brass will be worth more than silver and gold." Thanks for your opinion, it is much appreciated. #oswegoscott: I'm glad to see that some people still like to act like 5 year olds and call others names or put them down! I was just asking a question. don't like it? Move on.

May We All Survive but the Zombies
Gary

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As for everyone else, thank you, you've given me something to think about. I guess IF you're not carrying around too much of it it won't weigh you down much. And I can also see where it would be useful should a reasonable facsimile of a civilized society be created. How's that for close minded!

Peace
Gary

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think you've already made up your mind to be narrow minded. So,why bother with this post?
If you read his post, he has made a statement regarding his feelings towards gold/silver stockpiling...but is asking what your thoughts regarding it are. As a civil society, we seek knowledge through questions and the knowledge of others. I too dont believe in stockpiling metal (other than round lead balls with gunpowder behind them!), but am interested to hear why others do. Hell, maybe someone's opinion might change my thinking!?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
There does seem to be a trait there; those who have it like to point out its not worth anything. Those who do seem to think it will be worth plenty / fortune. I think the truth will be in the middle.

Right now there are many "preparations" I would rather have then a $33/$34 one ounce silver coin. That is just my position in life.
But I can say that because I bought the coin years ago - decades ago actually. I sold a few last year - bought a solar system and
a well with the money. How'd I do? I wouldn't have been able to without the purchases of silver I made decades back. I just
don't see how people can declare it worthless - especially when they don't have any.

#Ripon: Damn straight I don't have any, I'm a hunter/gatherer, not a slave to money. My bills get paid and like everyone else at the end of the week all I have left are more bills! What is that silver coin going to do for you? Who's going to decide what it's worth? You? Come on, like I said before, it's useless metal. The "governments" determine the value of their currency (which includes gold and silver), same goes for diamonds. And I gotta tell you, if I'm hungry and you need some work done, I don't have a problem doing your work but I'll be damned if, instead of food, I would do it for a metal that I either have to travel 2??? miles to spend or just can not use period----like wesley762 said, "Lead and brass will be worth more than silver and gold." Thanks for your opinion, it is much appreciated. #oswegoscott: I'm glad to see that some people still like to act like 5 year olds and call others names or put them down! I was just asking a question. don't like it? Move on.

Gary

·
Registered
335 Posts
I agree. Goods will be the new currency. No one is going to want to carry heavy gold/silver around - where are you going to cash it in? and for what? I think it is a good investment - but barter in the end of the world - it is useless

I have a bunch of silver coins, but I have been collecting those since I was about 7 years old. Maybe 100 various coins - if they can get me more useful items in trade, ill do it in a second.
Here is what I think will be high end currency
- coffee, alcohol and cigarettes - vices that people have now will be even more so in a bad situation
- food - this goes without saying. Also, thinking long term - fruit and vegetable seeds.
- comfort items - diapers for families with babies - people laugh at this when I bring it up, but where will they get diapers. i have a few small packs of 5 diapers from the dollar store for trade and if I need bandages. basic food staples - flour, sugar, cooking oil, salt/pepper. body soap, shampoo, dish soap, soap for cleaning clothes too.
- fishing tackle - hooks, line, etc. I have a ton of this - probably 5000+ hooks and miles of fishing line. Id bet that 5 hooks and 25ft of line would be worth a few things in trade. Very easy to sit and catch small fish all day long with a few hooks and line.
- fuel - gas, diesel, kerosene, lamp oil. These will be huge. Think about the road warrior movies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I only say it's worthless because it's true value in society is dertermined by greed and because there is nothing, and I mean nothing, that it is useful for OTHER than trade......i.e. you can't make tools with it, you're right you can't eat it, and it's not going to make you sleep any better. Remember IF the SHTF I and other's like me may not value your gold and silver as much as you do. And when I'm done learning how to cast my own bullets lead is what I will value most, with that I will be able to get and defend what I need! Thanks everyone this has been interesting.

Peace
Gary

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
I agree. Goods will be the new currency. No one is going to want to carry heavy gold/silver around - where are you going to cash it in? and for what? I think it is a good investment - but barter in the end of the world - it is useless

I have a bunch of silver coins, but I have been collecting those since I was about 7 years old. Maybe 100 various coins - if they can get me more useful items in trade, ill do it in a second.
Here is what I think will be high end currency
- coffee, alcohol and cigarettes - vices that people have now will be even more so in a bad situation
- food - this goes without saying. Also, thinking long term - fruit and vegetable seeds.
- comfort items - diapers for families with babies - people laugh at this when I bring it up, but where will they get diapers. i have a few small packs of 5 diapers from the dollar store for trade and if I need bandages. basic food staples - flour, sugar, cooking oil, salt/pepper. body soap, shampoo, dish soap, soap for cleaning clothes too.
- fishing tackle - hooks, line, etc. I have a ton of this - probably 5000+ hooks and miles of fishing line. Id bet that 5 hooks and 25ft of line would be worth a few things in trade. Very easy to sit and catch small fish all day long with a few hooks and line.
- fuel - gas, diesel, kerosene, lamp oil. These will be huge. Think about the road warrior movies.
I think you are missing a very big point in your thought process, when it comes to silver and gold. Gary is missing it, too.

What makes silver and gold different than fishing tackle, chopped wood, five gallons of gas, a killed and dressed deer, a herd of cattle, etc.?

If you say it is because silver and gold are transportable and can be used for trade, you are correct. If you say that they are money and not currency, you are correct, again! If you say there is a reason they have been used for thousands of years because of this, you win the prize.

If you also know there is a reason governments and banks around the world are hoarding the precious metals, you are seeing something that is an important indicator of things to come.

As some have a propensity for saying, you are now charged with the knowledge. If you prefer to ignore it, you do so at your own detriment.

My question is, will this same topic come up again? Two other threads of the same nature weren't even rolled off the active topics list before this one came up. Do people read before posting?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
#oswegoscott, what's your problem? I didn't come on here to get PC lesson's from you! AND I did ASK a question! Is your problem that I expressed my "current" opinion on the subject? I'm sorry, I didn't know I had to run my opinions and questions by you before I posted them. Do me a favor......back the hell off! and don't bother clicking on any post I make in the future. I don't need your flack and you're not really worth the time it's taking to write this. I'm here to get idea's and knowledge from my brothers and sisters in the prepper culture and you DEFINATELY don't want to be include in that family. Maybe you should find a nice quilting bee to join. Talk about knit picky. Why don't we cry a little more! IF you didn't want to comment who the hell asked you!? If you want to sit there and attack people now, I'd hate to see you when you're three days into a SHTF situation. I'm sorry, if that's all you have time to do......then you've got too much time on your hands, go do some preps and leave me alone!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts