Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fell into the trap of "more is better". And although I have other ARs I took one and put a bunch of crap on it (and spent a lot of money) that a prepper does
not need. I went "tacticool" and lost sight of why I was putting it together. You do not need or want a geissele S3G trigger the rest of the 2300.00 worth of s*** I put into it. I now know the error of my ways. Henceforth I will use my money more wisely

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I do think there is such a thing as overkill, but the whole point of the AR platform is its ability to be customized. People scream "mall ninja", but I like my weapon to versatile, adaptable, and be a "swiss-army tool" of engagement situations.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's not really all that heavy. Most of the things I put on it were polymer to keep the weight down and stuck with the FDE furniture that came with it already:) about the only extras I added were the light laser and optic. Changed out the buffer to a Spike's heavy Tungsten and added the angled fore grip. Still pretty basic as far as function goes:)

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I never had a need for the fancy triggers . Went a bit nuts with add on for a few . But I do like to keep them clean and light.
We do own some costly sights and scopes the Aim point,ACOG and MARS are well worth even if they are not a requirement.
The Army's idea with the rail system was not to over load the weapon , but to have a platform any of the tools could be mounted on quickly as needed

Reactions: rickkyw1720pf

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Mine is an A-2 clone with the addition of a heavy barrel. Fixed stock A2 sights GI handguards, I like to stick with what I know.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
I think Waylon and Willie said it best, Back to the basics:

(Luckenbach, Texas / Back to the Basics)

The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women
I don't need my name in the marquee lights
I got my song and I got you with me tonight
Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love

Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas
With Waylon and Willie and the boys
This successful life we're livin'
Got us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys
Between Hank Williams' pain songs and
Newberry's train songs and Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain
Out in Luckenbach, Texas ain't nobody feelin' no pain

So baby, let's sell your diamond ring
Buy some boots and faded jeans and go away
This coat and tie is choking me
In your high society you cry all day
We've been so busy keepin' up with the Jones
Four car garage and we're still building on
Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love

With Waylon and Willie and the boys
This successful life we're livin' got us feudin'
Like the Hatfield and McCoys
Between Hank Williams' pain songs and
Newberry's train songs and Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain
Out in Luckenbach, Texas ain't nobody feelin' no pain

With Willie and Waylon and the boys
This successful life we're livin's got us feudin'
Like the Hatfield and McCoys
Between Hank Williams' pain songs
And Jerry Jeff's train songs and Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain
Out in Luckenbach, Texas there ain't nobody feelin' no pain

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Eotech has filled a big void in the middle of the market for sights. It was not to long ago you could not even buy this type of sight and scopes out side the military and then latter LE. Our first MARS was still stamped Military/LE only .
When you first start shooting and acquiring the things you want it seems like a slow process , after 40 plus years of it you turn around and ask where did all the S come from.
Unlike some once I acquired a weapon I never parted with it, other than passing it to a son or Daughter. Except one scary R&G revolver I destroyed. The first Marlin rifle that shot 22 shorts I ever own is still in a box here somewhere. A few months ago We were moving some stuff and found a Mk90 bought right after the Brady bill passed we had totally forgotten about.
With both sons in the Army also we sent a lot of time shooting and did what we could to purchase what we needed to improve our skills.
As the need to prepare for what could come became clear we stepped up that effort. Clearly we went over board. But that was part of the fun.
Over time you do come full circle and see that you may not really need it all.
Like anything when you want to push the limits there are times only the best will do. But even those that train hard may never get to the point their skills surpass the equipment. There is just to much good stuff at all levels.
Nothing wrong with dressing up your AR. If it don't cut into the family budget part of the fun and learning. I never spent my extra income on drinking ,smoking or partying. If I had it to spend my two passions out side work and family has always been the guns and Motorcycles. Passions both my wife Sons and Daughter share.
Two items you can never run out of things to do to them.
Some of you that are just starting on this path may in 40 plus years ask where did all this S come from.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I fell into the trap of "more is better". And although I have other ARs I took one and put a bunch of crap on it (and spent a lot of money) that a prepper does
not need. I went "tacticool" and lost sight of why I was putting it together. You do not need or want a geissele S3G trigger the rest of the 2300.00 worth of s*** I put into it. I now know the error of my ways. Henceforth I will use my money more wisely
That is why I sold both of the AR's I used to own. As soon as I would purchase one, I would find myself surfing the internet and cruising catalogs, endlessly looking for ways to take out small mortgages. I decided enough was enough and gave up on them as I knew that eventually, I would wind up with a rifle worth more than my car. I'm not a sniper, I'm not a special forces operator, I'm not "in country" taking out insurgents and the Taliban, nor am I SWAT. So I don't even remotely need the crap we all find to be really cool for our AR's.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I disagree

My "AR" is a bushmaster with a varmint barrel, it drills sub MOA groups at 100 yards over my truck hood, bullets touch off of a shooting bench.

Of all my rifles I have a 22-250 which is equally accurate but not auto loading which is a huge advantage against any prairie dog town if you know what I mean.

I use a 4-14 power scope, which IMO is ultimate form my uses.

For night time use I have a M4 type as you will be shooting close quarters and a scope is useless.

My point is that these weapons platforms have vaiable uses, but it doesn't cost a lot.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is why I sold both of the AR's I used to own. As soon as I would purchase one, I would find myself surfing the internet and cruising catalogs, endlessly looking for ways to take out small mortgages. I decided enough was enough and gave up on them as I knew that eventually, I would wind up with a rifle worth more than my car. I'm not a sniper, I'm not a special forces operator, I'm not "in country" taking out insurgents and the Taliban, nor am I SWAT. So I don't even remotely need the crap we all find to be really cool for our AR's.
I sold both my AR's as well. Honestly I can't stand the platform. For close quarters fighting I feel better served with a Remmy 870. For long range I would much rather have something in .30 caliber than .22 caliber. So I bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. I have a Burris Scout Scope and a Galco Ching Sling on it and that is all. If I were to get a semi auto fighting rifle it would be a M1A. Maybe someday but right now my money is better spent on beans, bullets and Band-Aids.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.