Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious friends, I want a nice little bag for my car. Something light weight that will hold 72 hours of supplies. What would you recommend? Second question, what would you put it in it if you had to hall this thing for oh lets say 10 miles to make it to your bug out location. I know.. I know... everyone's is different yadda yadda just looking for some ideas.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I gotta get my ass out the door for work, so sorry for the brief response.

If my trip was only 10 miles I'd pack some emergency shelter and climate appropriate warmth/blanket/bivy, two days worth of food, water, small mess kit, methods of securing more water, first aid kit, favorite knife, extra socks, gloves, fire making tools, hat, cordage, and of course personal protection as a minimum.

I'm actually rethinking my "Get Home Bag" to expand it to 2 days for worst case scenarios incase the AO ever suddenly became Indian Country and stealth took on more important consideration. Stealth translates to slower progress.

If I were you I'd think of a Get Home Bag on steroids if my BOL was only 10 miles away.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Might help it you told us about you location and the kind of terrain you will cross. A pack for 10 miles in Alaska will be very different than one designed to get you across the suburbs of Houston.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I've used a medium duffel bag for 35 years. It has 3 days of clothes, meds ,energy bars, water, knife ,duct tape and cord. KISS principle

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
The pistol is on my hip or in my pocket as an EDC

It finds it's way into the gunvault when visiting the Criminal Empowerment Zones.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Here is a full check list of bug out supplies. You likely know from this list the items you will need.

http://www.prepperforums.net/Full-Size-Bug-Out-Bag-Checklist.pdf

I would look at these packs after making my list and buy one slightly larger than will handle what you pick. If you are going to have trouble affording another bag then I would plan a much bigger combination from these bags then start with the base model that will let you carry add ons.
Tactical Bags - Range, Duffel & Gear Packs | 5.11 Tactical

Good luck

·
Registered
257 Posts
Beyond the typical food, water, shelter, water storage/filtration, fire capabilities, first aid, etc., for me a good road atlas makes a lot of sense. I'm still pretty new to my area (SE Virginia). I have a mid-size one, it's detailed enough for me and doesn't weigh much of anything. It's good in case I have to plan an alternative route on the road.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
This is not something I'd necessarily include in a bag, but I'd have a change of clothing and footwear available. Clothing appropriate for the office etc. maynot be appropriate for a hike home.

If you think about it, water is going to be more critical than food. I'd make plans for taking along some water maybe not physically carried in the bag, but along with it. Finding potable water or relying on filtering water sources along the way may not be an option. I think it would be nice to find potable or filterable water. I just wouldn't count on that being the case.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
One thing I rarely see on BOB lists is a tube of deep-heating muscle rub. Since most preppers are at least a little out of shape and tend to pack way more stuff than they actually need, a small tube of sports rub would be a welcome addition once you make camp for the night.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
10 miles isn't really that far to me either, but with any bag I believe you should start first off with a good bag. Bag meaning backpack or satchel. Buy crap and you'll enjoy a shit sandwich instead of getting home or your BOL. I prefer Maxpedition these days having used their gear for years now and knowing I can rely on it. For 10 miles there's no need to have a 72 hour bag in my opinion unless you want to carry a fullsize BOB as that basically will be. I'd suggest a change of durable warm/cool clothes if you wear dress clothes to work and a comfortable pair of hiking boots. A few MRE entree's with some snackbars mixed in. Than a good water container (bladder, canteen or nalgene bottle), a sillcock key and some water purification tablets. A water filter is always a plus, but if your hike is through the city there should be enough water pipe sources and less clean natural sources. Than a small med kit with some liquid bandage and bandaids, superglue and a Adventures Medical Kit with QuikClot. A good pocket knife, multitool, some 550, small sewing kit with curved needles, a compass, a local map, a lighter, firesteel and a flashlight. A pistol and spare mags is a definite with me, but I see you live in California.

Maxpedition.com - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical Concealed Carry; Tailored to Perform Tactical

1 - 10 of 10 Posts