Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sure. I have a GMRS license. I'm also a General class Ham operator and involved with AmRRON. If you'd like a really good set of Radio operator's instructions,go check them out. It's a great source of Info and you can download the newest S.O.I. (Signal Operators Instructions) from their website.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I am a member of a completed 50 adult survival group. I am also a HAM operator.

We hang our hats mostly on the Baofeng- UV5R HAM radios, at about $25 each.
We also have a lot of GMRS radios (non-HAM).

The Baofeng UV5R has a quirk in them in that they are the only HAM radio that will also communicate with the GMRS (much cheaper) radios.

Now here is what you need to know about the GMRS radios. If we assume you keep one alert guard in the house and one or two guards outside, you have a problem with the GMRS radios. There are times that they cannot pierce the walls of the house. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. You are betting your family's life on that "Sometime".

To prevent this problem, purchase at lease one Baofeng UV5R and put it inside the home.
Then purchase an automobile antenna for the Baofeng with a long cable on it. Place the antenna on the roof, this way you will always be in contact with the GMRS radios.

Icening on the cake? Purchase a 12VDC Baofeng battery adopter and an automobile cigarette lighter socket to power the Baofeng with a car battery long term.

I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m setting up a GMRS system for my group/ family. I have been working on mostly the hand held units. I’m am in the middle of building my base station. I just put up a antenna last weekend. Today I’m going to move it and raise higher. I have not decided what radio I want for my base radio yet. I have narrowed them down to 3 different brands and models. 1. A Midland micro mobile. It is the MXT115 the transmit power is 15watts . The price is $149.99 plus shipping.
2. Is the BTech GMRS 50x1 transmit power for it is 50watts. The price is $199.99 . The only problem with it the power source is a little more in price then I really want to spend vs what I would need to power the Midland .
3. Is probably the best but most expensive the Wouxun KG1000G . Like the BTech it’s also a 50 watt radio . Price is $369.99 then there is the power source for it . Same as the BTech. When I say power source I’m talking AC - DC converter.
I think the Wouxun and BTech are a little of over kill as far as transmit power. Why I say that when I first started this project I was range testing my HT units . From the house to another HT in a vehicle. I was getting 4-5 miles . That was on a clear day and in the middle of winter. There was no foliage on the trees and we live on top of a hill.
With that said we were using 2watt BTech V1 GMRS radios .
Now that summer is in full swing and the trees are full we get 2 miles .
Now back to me putting up a base antenna.
I hooked up on of those HT units to the base antenna. So from base to vehicle I was getting 7 miles . My transmission was loud and clear. So then I tried a 5watt HT same distance loud and clear. Mind you that it was not a good test. The other HT was in the vehicle and it was raining. So the transmission from the vehicle was not so good on my end . Had the radio in the vehicle had a antenna on the outside I might have gotten 10 miles or more . Also the base antenna is only 10 feet high . That’s going to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I forgot to mention that I’m new to the forum . Sorry for butting in .
I thinking for now for my base station I’m going to buy a AC-DC converter and a Amplifier and use a 5watt HT radio. The Amp will boost my transmit power to 40watts . If I use a 2watt radio I will get 15-20watts. I think that will meet the the range requirements that we are looking for. Also for our ATVs and vehicles the is going to be a mag mounted antenna.
Later on down the road I may add a better base radio set up.
Also the area that most of my family and Friends that are part of our little pepping group are in at least 15 miles of each other. Most of us live on the outskirts of a small town . The plan we have as far as GMRS is that we will be able to communicate any where we go in the town to each other and back to our homes. We have even discussed putting a small portable repeater in the small town then all we have to do is reach it and it will extend our range plus be able to communicate to each other from each individuals base /home.
Also one of the guys is putting together a few simplex repeaters. Also known as pariot .
To explain our area we all live around a small town surrounded by a National forest. We want to be able to basically have communication just about any where we go . So with good antenna’s good radios and a small portable 10watt repeater at the center of town we should be able to communicate. The idea of spreading out a few simplex repeaters is then to widen our area of communication. Basically have our own little communication network.
GMRS isn’t the only thing either we are going to have some Ham/Amateur radios for long range.
A few CB’s . We are not depending on on form.
I would imagine that in a real SHTF that all the radio services will be loaded for days . Depending on your area and what the majority of the people have . One reason we decided on GMRS is that CB seems to be the most popular. There are a few ham repeaters in our area . So GMRS is probably our best bet for clear communication.
Sorry for the long winded post

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good post, communictions is one area where one size does not fit all. I have been an amateur operator for over 35 years yet I still have a CB radio to interface with the general public. With VHF and UHF radio systems antenna height is more important than power. Another thing to consider is coax quality, at VHF and UHF frequencies 100 feet of poor coax will kill 1/2 of your transmitted power, not to mention the loss of the received signal. Remember the old amateur radio rule: 60% of your budget spent on radio, 40% spent on antenna system. de KA5SIW

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
I'm also a ham. I do believe given your set of goals, what you have chosen in the best choice. The only thing I would add is to have backups for everything. Two is one and one is none. Things break so having a backup will help continue your setup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am working on that now as far as backup to the HT units now . I have even thought about buying a couple of the 8 watt BTech dual band radios and making one of them the base unit added to a amp . Then just programming the radio for GMRS . I know that it’s not FCC approved for GMRS but in my area not much going on in radio to begin with . At least not in GMRS or amateur radio don’t have a CB to know for sure . So I don’t see it being a big deal using one for GMRS. No more use of it then will be used . We will do a few range and perimeter test . Then do some of our own repeater test . Plus 90% of the time the dual band will be used to scan outside the GMRS. There will be no transmission from it in those bands . Listen only

·
Registered
198 Posts
With VHF and UHF radio systems antenna height is more important than power.
That's certain. Without regrets, I will change part of the power to the antenna height.
Also one of the guys is putting together a few simplex repeaters. Also known as pariot .
Good thing. It would be interesting to know how real the idea of placing a repeater on a drone for a long-distance session at the agreed time?
I personally have not been immersed in technical details yet, but this thought is spinning in my head.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
.....Good thing. It would be interesting to know how real the idea of placing a repeater on a drone for a long-distance session at the agreed time?......
I recall reading an article not long ago about someone developing a tethered drone. The tether would not only carry the RF signal, but power to the drone itself. So as long as there was power to fly, it can stay in the air. I can't find it ATM though.

I've toyed with the idea of using a small weather balloon to send an antenna aloft.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like the drone idea .Think of the range possibilities. Strap a simplex repeater and radio to the drone . Then I would bet that you could talk to people 20 or more miles .
Those and other repeater experiments will be done later for now we just want to have a small network for our family and friends. In a SHTF situation. I’m just really surprised just with some nice antennas tuned for GMRS has added to the range of HT units.
No increase in transmit power just antenna.
I’m hoping to get some more things done this coming weekend. I would like to raise the antenna.I want to get a Nagoya tuned GMRS antenna put on my personal HT and see what ranges I get from it. Those test will be done with me in the woods on our property and surrounding property. A lot of foot work. Then I want to be dropped off in town so I can see what areas I can cover from base to HT. After I do that I’m going to add a mag mounted antenna to our vehicle to see what ranges I get from base station to vehicle. Same test from HT to vehicle in various locations. Idea is to be able be anywhere in our small community and be able to relay information back to home . Even if it’s HT to vehicle,from vehicle to base. Kinda want have similar communication set up like other organizations have. It will be a little more primitive then what the military and police have . Even more primitive then how the police had there communication’s 30 years ago . Just a lot cheaper and less permanent. Money is the biggest factor.
We don’t / I don’t want to go broke setting something up that we may never have to use.
Thing is I like the learning experience. I also like to see just what we can cover with GMRS. With the least amount of complexity. If that makes since. Or it can be complex and simple. Also keeping things budget friendly.
Having our own little network would be very beneficial in a grid down situation. It would also be nice to be able to to help the ones that are not part of our little group.
I also know everyone says GMRS isn’t private. I don’t think any radio services are. At least the ones that are available to the public.
With that said as far as keeping our group safe we will definitely keep important information off of the radio.
Also we will have scheduled times we will talk on the radio . Then we are going to have zones and other radio languages to keep outside listening people from figuring out where we are,what we are doing and what we have . Even down to the point of the size of our group.
I know you are not supposed to talk codes and give misinformation on the radio . We are taking grid down, WROL it’s a different story . We will just have things worked out so if it goes bad we have it in place already.
Until then we will do our radio training with regular talking . Just practicing. Also part of the plan for more radio security. We will also never be on the same channel from day to day . Also when the time is needed and we have to go out from the safety of home. That mission of the day will be set up so we know after each check in we will be on a different channel.
Meaning if I go to town when I get there I check in on channel 5 . Then when I accomplish goal my next transmission will be on channel 11 . Some one will also be on the base radio all the time . They will have the days schedule. That way they know the time and channel to be on . What if help is needed? Again the next scheduled channel will be used .
There will not be a set pattern for us until each day. That way it will make it hard for anyone to monitor us .
As for ones that are outsiders that we help are friends with we will have a set channel and times for that also.
Unless we are out trading, hunting or scavenging.
Sorry for rambling. I just sometimes go over board with things that interest me. Plus I’m new to radio and I’m always learning and ideas keep coming the more I learn

·
Registered
19 Posts
All forgot to mention I plan on switching the base antenna cable to a heavier coax . I’m thinking about using LM-400

·
Registered
550 Posts
Instead of putting all of this effort into GMRS, Consider getting together with all of your group and getting a HAM Technician License. They are not that hard to get. Set up study sessions. With a Tech License, you open up many more possibilities.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I recall reading an article not long ago about someone developing a tethered drone. The tether would not only carry the RF signal, but power to the drone itself. So as long as there was power to fly, it can stay in the air.
This idea looks attractive. I only scares the mass of the cable and loss.
If I am not mistaken, then, for example, the mass of 100 meter segment of the 5D-FB PVC cable with attenuation of 13.5 dB at 450 MHz will be about 7 kilograms.
Perhaps the design contains some tricks.
I've toyed with the idea of using a small weather balloon to send an antenna aloft.
And what is your conclusion, if not a secret?

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
This idea looks attractive. I only scares the mass of the cable and loss.
If I am not mistaken, then, for example, the mass of 100 meter segment of the 5D-FB PVC cable with attenuation of 13.5 dB at 450 MHz will be about 7 kilograms.
Perhaps the design contains some tricks.
I'm sure it's going to be a pretty hefty drone... not a $300 DJI job.

And what is your conclusion, if not a secret?
Haven't attempted it.

Yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Today I ordered a 15 inch Nagoya GMRS antenna. It will be put on my personal HT . I also ordered a midland antenna and mount for the vehicle. That should help with base to vehicle range . The Nagoya 15 inch antenna will help with range from HT to base . As far as the base station I raised the antenna another 6 feet .
Has far as not going to Ham is because we can use the FRS frequencies to practice till everyone has a license.
Also like I said not everyone is going to or interested into getting the Ham license. I will have mine at some point.
GMRS or Ham in my area there is not a whole lot of repeater support. I do believe there is one GMRS repeater west of my home 15-20 miles away . It’s a private repeater. When I scan other frequencies I do hit a amateur radio repeater. There isn’t a whole lot of activity on it . It just gives the time, frequency and the location. That’s about every 20-30 minutes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know I was just in here I decided to get a 8 watt Baofeng radio . It is a Dual band radio but I’m going to use it for a base radio for now . On one band I will use it just for scanner . Most of the time it will be used for GMRS. I also like I can transmit on MURS . MURS will be used for more sensitive matters . Of course for now we are just going to use GMRS/FRS . I just like the Baofeng for versatility and the accessories available for it are almost limitless. . Who knows I may go after my amateur license. Plus for the type of radio and it’s features you can’t beat the price.

·
Registered
550 Posts
One of the advantages of getting a HAM Technician License, is you can leagally use VHF ( 2m and 6m) which will give you much more range than UHF ( GMRS). You can also run digital modes which will keep casual listeners from eavesdropping on your comms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I received my Baofeng BF-F8HP today. It works I did some frequency test . Then I set it on a GMRS frequency. Tested it with my BTech v1 GMRS. All was good . Only a couple yards . I haven’t had a chance to do any range test so Friday or Saturday afternoon i am going to hook the F8HP to the base antenna and see what range I get.
I haven’t received my mobile antenna or new Nagoya 771G antenna. So until then I don’t expect to get much more range with the BF-F8HP and it’s 8watt high power . Then I do with my Wouxun KG805G or the BTech v1 GMRS.
With that said I know that adding a outside antenna to the vehicle. Will improve base to vehicle radio range quit a bit.
As far as HT to base range I’m not sure about the new Nagoya 771G . It’s a 15 inch GMRS tuned antenna so it should .
I will let everyone know what the results are this weekend if all goes well .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts