Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably something most folks already know but I just found out today.

Never was much of a Glock fan, not into plastic guns but . . .

I bought a Glock just to have something that was chambered in 40 S&W because it was becoming so popular with Leo, Gen 4 22. This is the full size Glock with 114mm barrel. I was interested in the .357 Sig because of the ballistic numbers published in the Glock owners manual, more muzzel energy than the 10mm. Down side is that it ain't a very popular caliber, ammo is scarce and expensive. So the 40 S&W and .357 Sig case is identical except for the bullet. You don't need to change anything but the barrel to swap cartridges. Magazines are identical for both cartridges except for the marking.

Bought a Glock 33, Gen 4 at the local gun show. This is the sub-compact with the 88mm barrel. Planned to buy extra barrels for both the 22 and 33. Barrel are pricey, 'bout $160/ea. Come to find out that the longer barrel will fit and function in the shorter gun just fine. I will just use the barrel from my Glock 22 in my Glock 33 for practice with cheap 40 S&W ammo. The barrel will stick out an extra 26mm (about an inch). All the magazine will fit in the 33. The 22 magazine will stick out some. The 33 magazine won't fit the 22 (too short).

While I was there I got my hands on the FN Five Seven and some of the ammo. Too bad the cheapest one was $1,200. Ammo is dear at about $2/rnd but wow! Ammo weighs about half of what 9mm weighs, muzzle velocity around 2,500 fps. Guns is very Glockish. Standard mag is 20 rnds. I can see now how Hasan walked in with 400 rnds in his pockets.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
The G22 is a good gun and I like the performance of the round. I like it even better that I don't have to buy ammo for it. My department supplies all I need. Very few LE agencies use the .357 Sig; The only one I know of off the top of my head, at least at the time, was the Federal Protective Service. And they wished they had .40's. It seems to be kind of an odd-ball that never really took. You love it or hate it.

The longer barrel is cool though. You could it threaded for a suppressor. Definitely a cool factor that all you need to do is switch barrels. ::clapping:: That's why I want one of those S&W 460 Magnums; .45 Colt, 454 Casull or the .460 Magnum. I want an H&R Handi Rifle in .500 S&W Magnum, but wish they would make one in the 460. Oh well. Nice job at the gun show. I hope you enjoy them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glock must have changed something.
I have owned a couple of dozen Glock pistols, ranging from the G26 and G27 up to three of the G35s.
I once owned a Glock 35, 22, and 23 [all Gen 3 versions] all at the same time.

The longer G35 and G22 barrels definitely did NOT fit into my G23.
And neither did the shorter G27 slides fit on the G23 sized frame ... which believe me I wanted to do.

The G22 was set up to shoot .40 S&W, .357 SIG, 9 MM and .22 LR, and also fit into a Carbine Conversion stock.

Both the 9 mm and the .357 SIG barrels were 6" Stainless, and worked well in the shorter G22, but not in the G23 or G27.

Shooting .357 SIG is a blast ...
quite LITERALLY A BLAST!!!
A very fast bullet with minimum drop even out to 100 yds. Hold about neck height at 100 yds for center of mass hits on a PPC target.

However, I personally found my up close quick and dirty shooting with the .357 SIG was compromised by the heavier recoil and muzzle blast.
But I know at least two people who can shoot a .357 SIG Glock faster and as accurately as I can shoot a 9 mm Glock.
YPMMV,

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried the Glock 22 (full size 40 S&W) in the Glock 33 (sub-compact 357 Sig) and it didn't work. Don't know if the full size barrel would work in the middle size gun. I bought an OEM Glock 27 barrel for the 33 and it fits and functions. All Gen 4 stuff.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
It's a good way to be able to swap between ammo without the expense of another gun. I do the same with my Sig P229; 357Sig-40S&W. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts