Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a pistol for myself for quite awhile now. My husband has an XD .40 I believe (for the life of me I can't remember the maker and I'm too lazy to go upstairs and look). It's a nice gun, with a lot of power, but it takes me FOREVER to rack the slide back. I'm kinda wimpy. So I need a gun that I can handle with confidence and easily.

My husband keeps suggesting a revolver, and while it would be easy to use, I don't like the idea of reloading and only having 5 shots. Maybe as a secondary weapon? We also have two rifles (though one is my daughters pink .22) and a shotgun, but I want something I can carry with me easily and have accessibility to it without a problem. It doesn't have to be super big and powerful, but be able to stop someone when I need it to.

I know next to nothing about what exactly is out there...that's my husbands thing...but maybe I could get pointed in the right direction?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I carry a S&W .38. I like the revolver and it has a hand grip laser sight. I also practice reloading with a speed loader. It kicks a bit but practice helps.

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
My wife was very good, back in the day, with my Colt 45 Automatic. But age and arthritis has taken it's toll and she can not longer manipulate the slide. That was the reason we decided she should try revolvers.
We live in a rural very low violent crime area but she wanted something she could keep with her doing chores on our small homestead/farm.
So I bought her a Charter Arms 38 Special snubnose. It's stainless steel for rust resistance (but she insisted on the black coated model so the glint of shiney steel wouldn't give away her position. She's been living with me too long). It's a 5 shot and has a bobbed hammer so it won't snag on her pocket on the draw. I got her an HKS speedloader and showed her how to use it.
She also wanted access to something with more power so she now has a dedicated 357 magnum and a 20 gauge pump that both stay in the house in a place where she can quickly get them.
My hobby is firearms and I have "more than a few":mrgreen: , and I gave her the opportunity to select what she was comfortable with. So many guys get all macho and insist their significant other must use a certain firearm.

Many ranges have a rental program where you could try various guns. That is better than spending hundreds of dollars on a gun only to find out you don't like it.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Denton and MrsInor

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your opinion! The more you know, and all that. :) I'll take a look online at what everyone's suggested so far.

Another thing I don't like about my husbands handgun is that it has two safeties. One on the trigger and one way high up on the grip. My hands are smaller than my husbands and I have a hard time pressing both down at the same time. I think taking me to the range is frustrating since it takes me so long to rack the slide and then get my hands into a position where I can push them both simultaneously.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
None of my pistols or revolver have a safety. Well the Glock does have a shoe type safety on the trigger.

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
Another thing I don't like about my husbands handgun is that it has two safeties. One on the trigger and one way high up on the grip. My hands are smaller than my husbands and I have a hard time pressing both down at the same time. I think taking me to the range is frustrating since it takes me so long to rack the slide and then get my hands into a position where I can push them both simultaneously.
So, imagine you are home alone with your children. Someone starts beaking in the door. All of a sudden you need a gun, any gun, RIGHT NOW!
With a revolver you pick it up, aim, press the trigger.

Reactions: Denton and indie

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I like the idea of larger capacity, but having tried out hubby's different guns, I keep going back to the revolver. Like MrsInor said, you can get a speed loader. They're just so much simpler. I asked this same question recently here and got lots of ideas. Though it's not a revolver, I keep going back to the Ruger SR9. The compact version, SR9C, fits well in my small hands. I tried one out at the store the other day and I really liked the looks of it but decided if I'm going that route, I'd rather have the full size.

Right now I have a 38 special revolver and S&W 40. I sleep with the revolver nearby and have the 40 where I can quickly get to it if needed.

You mentioned you have dogs. Do they bark at intruders? For me, that's a critical part of my home defense. I bought two German Shepherds to help defend the kids and give me enough time to get to the guns, since during the day they're stored up away from kids. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm awfully close to carrying all the time. If it's on me, the kids won't get to it. The fact is, if someone breaks in during the day, they're not likely to be obliging when I say, "Hey, bad guy, hold on real quick while I run back to the corner of the house and grab a gun."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, imagine you are home alone with your children. Someone starts beaking in the door. All of a sudden you need a gun, any gun, RIGHT NOW!
With a revolver you pick it up, aim, press the trigger.
This is true! To be honest, I've never thought of it like that. My husband works long hours and I obsess over this, and I did a lot more when he was deployed last year. That's a really good point so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

·
Registered
24,399 Posts
Yes, revolvers are good. You probably won't have to worry about reloading if it is a simple home invasion. Easy victims are the target of the dirt bags, not angry, armed mothers accompanied by large dogs.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
So I bought her a Charter Arms 38 Special snubnose.
My wife carries the same in .357. In just over 1500 rounds through it, the only issue we had was one wheel full of steel cased Tula seized up and was a pain in the rear to knock out, but that was the ammo's fault, not the guns.

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
Indie, we have always had dogs. We have had as many as 8 at one time, right now we have 5. All rescues, from death row at the pound, or from the side of the road where they were dumped.
They are outside during the day and are inside at night, or if there is nobody home. Their main function other than as pets is to alert the big dog (me). This is important if some woodland creature is looking for the all-you-can-eat chicken buffet.
And, a year ago when there were daylight burglaries in our area, several houses were broken into but ours never has been in the 15 years we have been here.
Our place is on a dead end dirt road 6 miles outside a one stop light town of 2,000 people. But drugs are everywhere these days, along with addicts who have habits to feed. And the cops are 10 minutes away minimum.

Reactions: Denton and indie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have two dogs. Ones just a fat old girl though ( I'm blame my toddlers who drop food all over the place).

Our newest mutt, with some training, would scare the bejesus out of someone. She's on the smaller side, but man her bark is scary when she's all riled up. She actually had me on guard last night, up in our bedroom barking up a storm. Came downstairs with her hair all sticking up and walking around by my feet.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Indie, we have always had dogs. We have had as many as 8 at one time, right now we have 5. All rescues, from death row at the pound, or from the side of the road where they were dumped.
They are outside during the day and are inside at night, or if there is nobody home. Their main function other than as pets is to alert the big dog (me). This is important if some woodland creature is looking for the all-you-can-eat chicken buffet.
And, a year ago when there were daylight burglaries in our area, several houses were broken into but ours never has been in the 15 years we have been here.
Our place is on a dead end dirt road 6 miles outside a one stop light town of 2,000 people. But drugs are everywhere these days, along with addicts who have habits to feed. And the cops are 10 minutes away minimum.
I grew up in this house and never had to lock the doors until recently. We're near a small town but drugs have become a major issue and there is a lot of theft these days. I sure feel safer with my two, who are extremely protective of the kids, just like they should be. I just added Hamish, my 6-month GSD, as my profile pic. He's already as big as the full grown GSD and a big doof but talk wrong to the kids and watch out!

We have two dogs. Ones just a fat old girl though ( I'm blame my toddlers who drop food all over the place).

Our newest mutt, with some training, would scare the bejesus out of someone. She's on the smaller side, but man her bark is scary when she's all riled up. She actually had me on guard last night, up in our bedroom barking up a storm. Came downstairs with her hair all sticking up and walking around by my feet.
I think most would-be bad guys will be deterred just from the barking, especially if they can't see what's making the sound. Even a Chihuahua can cause damage if it feels the need to protect its own, so having dogs is more important than having a certain type of dog.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think most would-be bad guys will be deterred just from the barking, especially if they can't see what's making the sound. Even a Chihuahua can cause damage if it feels the need to protect its own, so having dogs is more important than having a certain type of dog.
Agreed. Our old dog isn't much of a barker so I have zero faith in her as a "guard dog". Haha. Poor old girl. I watched something on 20/20 once that bad guys are less likely to break into a house with a "beware of dog" sign than they are a home security system sign because most people just don't turn on their security systems. Can't turn off a barking dog. :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Agreed. Our old dog isn't much of a barker so I have zero faith in her as a "guard dog". Haha. Poor old girl. I watched something on 20/20 once that bad guys are less likely to break into a house with a "beware of dog" sign than they are a home security system sign because most people just don't turn on their security systems. Can't turn off a barking dog. :)
That makes sense. Especially if you have kids. Can you imagine how much the alarm would be going off in a given day with little kids? :D

I've heard that having a "Beware of Dog" sign opens you up to liability in the event of a dog attack, because it's essentially admitting to having an aggressive dog. We don't have signs, but if people decide to break in when they can hear my dogs barking, they deserve what they get.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see how that could be the case. We don't have signs, but you can definitely hear our dog even out in the middle of the road. They totally get what they deserve!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I see how that could be the case. We don't have signs, but you can definitely hear our dog even out in the middle of the road. They totally get what they deserve!
It'll be fun to compare notes since we have a lot in common with the same struggles to work out for prepping, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Most definitely! It's always good to have someone who is going through or been through the same stuff you are!

·
Banned
148 Posts
My wife carries a lady smith 38 special with a laser. If you are not that proficient with a semi-auto pistol or don’t plan on taking the time to become proficient then I would recommend a revolver.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts