Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know anything about the 380 Bursa? I have a friend that recently got one and I am in love. I have small girley hands and this just seems to be made for my short fingers. Very comfortable to use and great balance. Always leary to jump into buying anything and haven't heard anything about this gun so any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not a bad gun. In line with the Walther PPK and Sig 232. Only thing my wife didn't like was the heavy slide spring and she thought it was "snappy".

She now uses a Walther PK380. It has a delayed blowback design rather than a direct blowback like most 380s. The delayed design allows for a much lighter spring so it is much easier for her to operate and the recoil is more of a push rather than a snap. I got her a P22 to practice with since it has identical operating controls.

I only throw that out there as something you may want to try. If you like the Bersa, go for it. It is a good gun.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have owned a Bersa and it's a proven design following the Walther and Sig but it's an antiquated system. Now a days you can find .380 half the size and weight for the same price like the Ruger LCP. If you're set on the Bersa, by all means you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Lots of small parts on the Bersa, questionable warranty service In My Experience.

Ruger on the other hand has great Customer Service with no written warranty.

The Ruger will have more felt recoil though.

Have you thought about a Kahr CW9? It's the same size as the Bersa,shoots a 9mm and recoils less than the Ruger LCP,Bersa 380,and Ruger LC9

I've owned all the pistols in this post.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of small parts on the Bersa, questionable warranty service In My Experience.

Ruger on the other hand has great Customer Service with no written warranty.

The Ruger will have more felt recoil though.

Have you thought about a Kahr CW9? It's the same size as the Bersa,shoots a 9mm and recoils less than the Ruger LCP,Bersa 380,and Ruger LC9

I've owned all the pistols in this post.
I do like the idea of less recoil.....I guess my issue is that I want a gun that is mine and not one of the collection of guns we have accumulated. Most of these are from my boyfriends father or "good buys" that have been found over the years. Except my old riffles I guess that are what I have hunted with for years. Not a self defense weapon that I could keep with me. These other pistols just don't fit me right. I want it to feel like a part of me not some forgein object at the end of my hand. I like the size and feel of the Bersa but if there is another better one out there that I could count on if things get ruff. thats what I want. Not really concerned about price. Not that I have money to waste, but I always feel quality far out weights the cost difference.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Have you considered the Makarov? It and it's variants are Soviet Block surplus and copies. As with most Soviet era weapon they are not as refined as their western counterparts but usually dependable as your "Pet Rock". It features a long heavy DA pull for first shot with subsequent shots being SA. The caliber depending on variant 9mmx18mm (Not the same as standard 9mm Parabellum which is 9mmx19mm) or .380 acp magazine capacity dependent on variant is 8-12 rds. This is not a target pistol but perfectly adequate for defensive distances. I have seen them retailing from $225 to $300.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you considered the Makarov? It and it's variants are Soviet Block surplus and copies. As with most Soviet era weapon they are not as refined as their western counterparts but usually dependable as your "Pet Rock". It features a long heavy DA pull for first shot with subsequent shots being SA. The caliber depending on variant 9mmx18mm (Not the same as standard 9mm Parabellum which is 9mmx19mm) or .380 acp magazine capacity dependent on variant is 8-12 rds. This is not a target pistol but perfectly adequate for defensive distances. I have seen them retailing from $225 to $300.
wouldn't it be better to go with something with standard size ammo?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've got a Bersa UC 9mm I carry sometimes in the summer. It's an OK gun, and I've sold a couple of the .380's while working for an FFL. The Bersa quality is the same for all models in my opinion. Functional, but just above low end quality. It shouldn't give you any problem and I'd take one over a Taurus or Keltec anyday. The LCP's are better quality but have that stupid magazine detach, trigger doesn't work anymore feature. You'd be better stepping up to a higher quality sub-compact 9mm to me, but you've got to do what's best for you. Beretta sub-compact PX4's or NANO are not that expensive and a far better pistol for example.

Buy Beretta Pistols and Revolvers

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
wouldn't it be better to go with something with standard size ammo?
.380 acp is fairly standard. Small defensive pistol other than practice is carried a lot shot a little. If you are in a scenario where you anticipate a lot of shooting your probably looking at a shoulder weapon. Ancient rule of thumb the concealable handgun is to disrupt an attackers control of an enviorment until you can access a weapon that allows you to assert control of the environment. IE a pistol lets you fight your way to a shoulder weapon.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you have weak hands and wrists, it's not the gun for you. The Bersa 380s are an excellent series of guns and according to most of the major reviews I've read over the years rate them as one of the best unsung values on the market. It is of the older blow back design and is harder to rack than than most of the plastic framed guns now on the marked. In addition to my primary carry, a Bersa 9UC, I've got two of the Bersa Thunder 380s, one of them I bought used several years after I bought my first one. It's about a year older than my first one, but is still an excellent gun. I use the 9 round DLX mags in both guns. I use the older of the two as an under the pillow gun and one, the original, that I call my "Sunday go to meeting gun" for occasional carry as it is far less printable than my 9mm. Personally, I'd stay away from the Walther PK380. I bought one for the wife and I thought it was a piece of junk. She could rack it, but it was a PIA to break down and worse to reassemble. After one firing at the range, I traded it for the second Bersa. Going to get her a 357 or 38 revolver. No racking, simple to fire and clean. There are a couple of Bersa sites, check them out.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
A Bersa Thundered in .380 is a good choice for the budget minded. They don't have the name recognition of some of the more expensive pistols, yet they do work and are reliable.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've got a friend that's got one of the Bersa .380 ACPs and he's very fond of it. As said it's patterned after the Walther PPK which has been around a for decades and is still popular. When I bought my wife her handgun she handled just about every gun in the case before she decided on the Sig P232 which is similar in design to the Walther also. If you want to upgrade from the Bersa look into the P232, Sig has an excellent reputation and hers has been very reliable with just about any ammo we could throw at it. The recoil spring in the gun is pretty stiff but still manageable for her once she learned how to manipulate it.

-Infidel

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Any Bersa is a poor choice. I've owned one and regretted it. Several design flaws. Right now the budget choices are the Kahr CW9, the Smith and Wesson Shield and the Ruger SR-9C. Don't trust your life to anything less. I think I have worked on every brand out there at one time or another.

·
Super Moderator
9,507 Posts
You keep hearing 9mm. A .380 is a 9mm short. If it's a .380 you want, go for it. Someone said earlier a handgun is designed to help you get to a rifle. I believe that cc is designed to get you out of a situation, not fight a war. I need it to give me and my wife time to get the hell out of there alive.

There are as many types of handguns has you can imagine. The best advice is to see what feels good and try it. If it don't feel good, you are more than likely to leave it behind. My gun ranges rent guns. It may feel good but feel lousy when fired. So I would try several before buying.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Any Bersa is a poor choice. I've owned one and regretted it. Several design flaws. Right now the budget choices are the Kahr CW9, the Smith and Wesson Shield and the Ruger SR-9C. Don't trust your life to anything less. I think I have worked on every brand out there at one time or another.
With due respect, I'll take your comment with a grain of salt based upon my own experience and obviously the lack of yours with the gun, like should be done on my comments about the Walther. Any product can have a bad example of it's product as well as any product can have a bad operator. I now have four Bersas in addition to a USGI Colt 45 and none have ever been in the shop or malfunctioned other than operator error, me. Other than the BPCC series, Bersas are all metal unlike those listed above.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll stick to my Sigs!:)

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I never claimed to be a Bersa Armorer. I just made the mistake of buying one. It was a typical Walther copy, .380, blow-back operated pistol. The finish wore early, the grips randomly fell off, the screw holes were softer than the screws and the trigger spring broke under warranty and their customer service was sub-par and it took entirely too long to get it back. Just my personal experience with a budget gun.

I bought a Chrysler once. Never bought another one. Bersas may be awesome now, they weren't in the 90's. I'll never know.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Any small 380 is going to have recoil.
380 is a fine CC weapon and not a girly gun .
If I were in the market for a small 380 it would be the LCP for the real sub compact or the new LC 380 for a compact
I do own 2 LCP's now

1 - 20 of 24 Posts