Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Girl Gun

8K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  Smitty901 
yeah... This thread will go for weeks with people recommending everything under the sun because they want to feel validated in a purchase they made...

I'd say go to a couple shops, ignore MOST of what your told (half of the gun shops are as bad as used car dealers), and just look around to get a feel for whats out there and fits YOU. Go home, get on Google and make your own educated decision based on your new knowledge and experience.
That ain't no lie! I find that gun stores tend to recommend what they have in inventory with a push towards the items with the highest markup. And people tend to recommend what they have in their safe.

To be honest, I think you would do fine with a Keltec (or similar) .32ACP on the small end, probably a .380ACP or 38. in the middle and at the bigger end a 9mm (even though it is the same diameter round as the 380/38). 9mm has a little more oomph.

My rec would be a small stainless 5 shot revolver in 357. That gives you the ability to shoot 38 and 357. It can stay loaded all the time, fits in the purse and shoots itself clean if a gum wrapper gets in the barrel / cylinder.

Fair disclosure... I am not a gun store so I have nothing to sell you. I also do not own a KelTec or any weapons in 380 or 9mm. I have a 100 year old Colt in .32 that I wouldn't recommend carrying and I have a 357 revolver that is FREAKIN HUGE that I wouldn't recommend carrying. Fact of the matter - there is nothing in my safe that would help you. I have however shot several of these calibers and pistols in different configurations and find that they almost all universally get the job done. As long as you stay away from the lower end budget guns (Hi-Point / Jimenez / Bryco) then you should be fine. If it was my wife that I was buying for, I might get her an SR22 from Ruger because she is recoil averse. But I wouldn't recommend that to you either.

Here is the crucial part. What EVER you get, you need to train, train, train with. What ever you spend on the gun, plan on spending that much on cheap practice ammo, and plan on spending just as much on a carry rig or two or three. Essentially in your perfect triangle here all three sides hold each other up. If your training fails, the great pistol and great leather is worthless. Same if you train hard and get a great holster but buy a crap gun. Same is true if you train and train with a fantastic pistol (Sig 9mm) and when you go to get it the leather is stuck on so tight you can't get to it.

All three must be in line. Plan on spending $450 for the gun, $450 in ammo, and $450 on some good purse with a gun compartment and another holster for when you don't carry THAT purse. Also an athletic rig for running and bike riding. And spending $450 in ammo is useless unless you shoot ALL of it. That's where you get the practice. Start out shooting, then start drawing from cover. Two shot groups, drills, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.