Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using my husband's guns right now but want to get my own handgun that I can get comfy with. I have no problem shooting a 45 but I have small hands and want something I can comfortably hold in one hand. Not so worried about recoil, just proportions, I guess. I really like (LOVE!) his 38 special revolver but want a semi auto with a clip - been shooting a 40 Stealth Shadow but it doesn't fit right. The 45 Norinco 1911 feels just a little too big.

Do you all have any suggestions for me? There's a gun show coming up and I'd like to go prepared with ideas.

·
Registered
725 Posts
First, slow down. No need to rush out and buy something on emotion that you may end up hating.

You don't impart your level of experience but since you don't own a handgun, my guess is you're fairly new at it. Go take a class for beginners from a reputable instructor. It's just like learning to play tennis. Go get a lesson from a pro and avoid the bad habits. If you've been a handgunner for years, go anyway. You'll learn plenty of usefull info.

If you have a range that will rent guns, go. You can try lots of styles and calibers, before you buy. Keep in mind that there are tons of accessory grips made to fit almost any gun. If the grip isn't quite right, try a different one. Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
yeah... This thread will go for weeks with people recommending everything under the sun because they want to feel validated in a purchase they made...

I'd say go to a couple shops, ignore MOST of what your told (half of the gun shops are as bad as used car dealers), and just look around to get a feel for whats out there and fits YOU. Go home, get on Google and make your own educated decision based on your new knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would say a lot has to do with what you intend the pistol for....CCW, Range and plinking, home defense. CCW you have the S&W Shield in both 9MM and .40 S&W, CZ Rami, Springfield XDS, Ruger LC9 and a few others. HD and a larger scale Ruger SR9C or SR40C are compacts with high cap mags. For plinking the Ruger Mk4 or a Browning M1911-a1 in .22 caliber.

If you are comfy with a .45 ACP and 1911's there are many Office Models available....Colt Defender (9MM and ,40 S&W) , S&W Pro Series,Colt New Agent (I have one and I am sending it off to get real sights....Liability issues).

I also have all of the above mentions HD other than a Colt Defender.

Now if you really want to get tricky have an Officer Model 1911 built in .38 Super....Harder hitting than a 9MM, flatter trajectory than both 9MM and .45 ACP and less recoil than a .45 ACP.

Problem is the above picture is $2100 worth of parts and it is still a ways off.

You can also get thinner grips for a 1911 from Raascogrips.com made out of a Phenolic Material or Esmeralda Grips made of Exotic wood. Note, should you go thin grips on a 1911 be sure to get the thing grip bushings.

So tell us a little more about what you want.

Karsten

·
Registered
921 Posts
Girl Gun? Whatever Girl wants. :p

I don't argue with my "girl".

As was said above, check out the ranges that rent guns and try some. At least handle some at the gun store, even if you can't shoot them. You'll know what fits your hand. It's a start.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Yep, it's a little like dating - find out how they fit for you, dump the ones that are wrong and choose from the rest. With small hands I would point you towards the Ruger revolvers because they have small grips and you can get one in 357 if the recoil doesn't scare you BUT if you have to have an auto-loader then it will probably end up being a single stack 9mm. Ruger has one of those too.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses! I'd love to go to a class but logistically, it ain't happenin' right now. I've shot enough that I'm comfortable with them, but I want my own baby. He works out of state and is gone...always, so I need it for home defense, but also something I can take out in the woods and feel protected with (if the dogs don't get 'em first). I'll look into all the suggestions. I like the looks of the Ruger SR9 so far, will keep digging around...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I would recommend a Dan Wesson revolver, the way they are designed there is no part of the frame in contact with your hand. You can buy different grips with the distance from the grip to trigger shorter or longer (or at least you could) Plus they are a rock solid design and notoriously accurate. With an automatic malfunction you've got the whole slap/rack/look/etc. revolver malfunction pull trigger again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would recommend shooting as many different pistols as possible. When you find one that fits you right, buy it. Like said above everyone has their favorites and will tell you what works for them. The important thing is you find one that works for you. Ruger, Springfield, S&W, are a few manufacturers I'd consider. But that's just me. Good luck, let us know what you end up with. -Mike

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
If you want a .45, look at a Colt Commander or Colt Officer's model (or their imitations)

You might also look at the .40 S&W Glock 23 or Glock 27.

If you don't want to go broke, check out the Taurus 840 in .40 S&W.

If you don't mind spending the money, look at the Kimber Master Carry Pro in .45.

Like the others said, you gotta go try them on for size at the range or gun shop.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
When I set out to purchase a carry weapon, I had narrowed it down to three. I had the salesperson set all three out. While I am sure if I had bought any of the three, I would not had been dissatisfied, one of the three just fit my hand much better than the other two, It was the one I bought. I suggest you do the same, just stay with good quality weapons, and you'll be ok. As far as the caliber, I would consider a 9mm Parabellum (Luger). It's not a cannon round but plenty big enough to get the job done. Very popular round for special forces if that tells you anything? I figure if it's good enough for them.... Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
First is it a CC or home Defense ?
If you want a larger Caliber for CC the XDS .45 is a 3.3 inch small light weight that is out standing
The Ruger SR9C or SR40C are outstanding weapons however they are double stacks so the grip is a little wide for some.
For a full size The Ruger SR9,SR40 or SR 45 are hard to beat .
CC weapons are a mixed bag if it is not comfortable to carry after awhile you won't carry it.
My wife switched to a revolver a while back S&W bodyguard 38 she is very happy with it. Daughter would not give up her LCP 380 for any thing.
You just need to get out and try some different ones.
I do highly recommend the XDS 45 if you want a small .45

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Check out the xds in 9 or 45. My wife loves hers in 9mm. Fits her hands perfectly.
Being a life long hard core Ruger fan. I will admit The XDS impressed me to the limits. for such a small weapon they shot well and fit a large number of shooters hand well. Target acquisition was fast and easy . I had a chance to shoot 200 rounds with a XDS 45. When I was done I did want to return it.
My wife fired it and was also comfortable with it,

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
yeah... This thread will go for weeks with people recommending everything under the sun because they want to feel validated in a purchase they made...

I'd say go to a couple shops, ignore MOST of what your told (half of the gun shops are as bad as used car dealers), and just look around to get a feel for whats out there and fits YOU. Go home, get on Google and make your own educated decision based on your new knowledge and experience.
That ain't no lie! I find that gun stores tend to recommend what they have in inventory with a push towards the items with the highest markup. And people tend to recommend what they have in their safe.

To be honest, I think you would do fine with a Keltec (or similar) .32ACP on the small end, probably a .380ACP or 38. in the middle and at the bigger end a 9mm (even though it is the same diameter round as the 380/38). 9mm has a little more oomph.

My rec would be a small stainless 5 shot revolver in 357. That gives you the ability to shoot 38 and 357. It can stay loaded all the time, fits in the purse and shoots itself clean if a gum wrapper gets in the barrel / cylinder.

Fair disclosure... I am not a gun store so I have nothing to sell you. I also do not own a KelTec or any weapons in 380 or 9mm. I have a 100 year old Colt in .32 that I wouldn't recommend carrying and I have a 357 revolver that is FREAKIN HUGE that I wouldn't recommend carrying. Fact of the matter - there is nothing in my safe that would help you. I have however shot several of these calibers and pistols in different configurations and find that they almost all universally get the job done. As long as you stay away from the lower end budget guns (Hi-Point / Jimenez / Bryco) then you should be fine. If it was my wife that I was buying for, I might get her an SR22 from Ruger because she is recoil averse. But I wouldn't recommend that to you either.

Here is the crucial part. What EVER you get, you need to train, train, train with. What ever you spend on the gun, plan on spending that much on cheap practice ammo, and plan on spending just as much on a carry rig or two or three. Essentially in your perfect triangle here all three sides hold each other up. If your training fails, the great pistol and great leather is worthless. Same if you train hard and get a great holster but buy a crap gun. Same is true if you train and train with a fantastic pistol (Sig 9mm) and when you go to get it the leather is stuck on so tight you can't get to it.

All three must be in line. Plan on spending $450 for the gun, $450 in ammo, and $450 on some good purse with a gun compartment and another holster for when you don't carry THAT purse. Also an athletic rig for running and bike riding. And spending $450 in ammo is useless unless you shoot ALL of it. That's where you get the practice. Start out shooting, then start drawing from cover. Two shot groups, drills, etc...

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
We just bought an M&P 9c we are very happy with it, the wife and my 18 year old daughter have no problem shooting it and it fits there hands well and is very controllable for both of them.

I seriously thought about a 40 cal, because I can not stop my mind thinking about stopping power etc etc.

The guy at the shop told me to get a 9mm because the practice rounds are so much less money. We bought 450 rounds at GM that day for .29 cents per round 40 cal is near twice that.

Ok for the power argument, I have looked at a lot of charts and found +P and it is available and not recommended +P+ ammo for 9mm is more powerfull than 40 caliber in Ft Lbs of energy.

We have shot the +P through the pistol and have found it to be very snappy, the wife can not seam to keep on a medium sized card board box at 20 yards.

I am stunned at the accuracy of this short barreled pistol. I would highly recommend one,

Wish you were close, you could stop by and shoot with the wife a few times to try it out.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
One thing my wife pointed out and she is definitely right about this and unfortunately it is a negative about the fire arm for use by a female.

The magazines for this pistol are very hard to load, even for me and I am a bad ass.

Trying to push the rounds into the magazine with your thumb is very difficult and takes some time to load the silly things. My wife and daughter simply can not do it.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
For a small grip, you'll get a small gun = limited capacity. If that's OK with you, check out the XDs in 45. I fell in love with it at a LGS but didn't have the funds att.
Go to the gun show you mentioned and handle all you can. Make a note of those you like and then hit the ranges that have rental guns. You'll get it nailed down.
For a big heavy revolver I can second the recommendation of a Dan Wesson. With a Hogue finger groove grip it fits nicely in my daughters hand. You'll get the weight to absorb some recoil and the capability to shoot 357Mag if desired.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.