Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we are all upset by the current administration's attempt's to prevent us from protecting ourselves I think it's time, high time, that we get back to business. I'm a beginning prepper and have an idea for a water filtration device that can be packed into a Bug-out-bag, used and re-used, cleaned, easily assembled and disassembled, light weight, can be used as a personal "WaterStraw" or can be linked to a bladder of almost any type and used to filter gallons of water through gravity feed. Let's face it.....these trying times in our society are exactly why we prepare!

Let Us All Survive but the Zombies!
Peace
Gary

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes they are Gary. For whatever reason you prepare it is a good thing. Hard economic times or natural disasters will see you dipping into your preps anyways so theres a good enough reason right there. Keep up the good ideas. I personaly have a small stream 9 months out of the year that runs from a spring on my land. As well as a well. I still need to work on my long term water storage. Ive liked some of the gutter rain water catches but I have redwoods that clog up mu gutters so I need to some more work on reseaerching that as a viable 3rd source of water. and storage system.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The only piece of news or current events pertaining to our POSP that has me concerned and a little distracted from my chosen rounds is that several days prior to his coronation, I heard on the news that because of the economy, he was only going to have two balls following the ceremony
. Seriously, I think that you will find, as I have found in the short amount of time that I have participated on this forum, that the members here are very serious about what they are doing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks AsteroidX, that being said, do you know the Three Ingredients for a proper water filter? I know two of the three are Charcoal and Sand. But what kind of sand? I need this receipe so I can begin creating my very own water filtration system. When I'm done I hope to share it's design with everyone on here and on YouTube. If you know of a search that I may not have tried yet or know the answer's please let me know.

Let Us All Survive but the Zombie's
Peace
Gary

·
Registered
887 Posts
Actually boiling water then bleaching it is your best bet. If you dont know the exact measurement you use a 5 gallon bucket and 5-6 tsp bleach or there are pool test kits that will test the chlorine content for more accurate results.

I mean this is for unknown water, River water etc....Fetid water obviously needs to be avoided.

·
Registered
887 Posts
There is also many many premade filtration set ups out there but Im a low budget prepper and the only other filtration system I have is my BoB camping style filtration.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right. Well my design is going to go the opposite direction. You see, your average ceramic based water filtration system (for personal use) can only filter about 500 gallons(?) and they do have to be bought. As well water purication or boiling may be prefered but that also takes time and energy. My design is going to use simple everyday ingredients that can be replaced quickly and easily. You build it now to have it ready and you are able to maintenance it along the way. It won't only be able to be used as a personal "water straw" but will be able to be attached to a bladder of some sort to filter gallons at a time if need be. I don't expect it to way very much or be too big but it should be a good system when I'm done with several test's.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Havent watched this yet but....

From there you can find several other versions of sand/charcoal systems but I didnt catch this one describing what kind of sand to use. I would assume youd use a grain size that doesnt wash into ur final product.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gee, thanks AsteroidX. That's just what i was looking for, it would seem that the only ingredient I'm missing is gravel. Ok now to find some cloth bags; the kind that they used to sell tobacco in with draw strings. Those will keep each ingredient seperate and refillable.

Let Us All Survive but the Zombie's
Peace
Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts