Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor (well figuratively in CA) just asked for trade from his new Springfield M1A with the synthetic
stock for an AR with a little extra on the AR side. I offered up 3 magazine (kits), 400 rounds of cheapo
ammo (Herters) and a polymer lower / Stag 2H upper and boom - I'm 10 days out from my first M1A
and only 308 in the family. Looking forward to the addition :) I wouldn't have been able to buy one
at $1600 + and this AR is a storage piece - extra - I've never used it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Congrats on a great trade!

Even as late as 1995 my Navy duties regularly put an M-14 in my hands, and oh to have one of those!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Long as the M1A is in top shape I would say you made a fair deal.
M1A is a fine weapon and when you can trade a "storage peace" for something you have a real desire for it is a good day.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Sounds to me like you got a a great deal. You'll love that M1A, they're great shooters. I haven't fired one in a long time but I'd still love to own one. Maybe next years taxes who knows. Take some pictures and give us a range report.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Seeing as how I'd take even a Standard M1A over just about any AR15 anyday of the week I think it's a good deal. You're now in the world of steel receivered, hard hitting, piston action, Garand lineaged, commercial M14's. A very good world to be in. I'm looking at going back to just them and trade off my current piston AR coming up for another Scout. Shouldn't have sold my last one, but it was a time I was still thinking my family might be worth a damn when the shtf and the M1A/M14 would be too much for them. Now I see I shouldn't bother with them. Their a lost cause as far as using any of my weapons. Give that baby a quick go over breakdown to see everythings in order. Lube it up with grease and shoot the hell out of it. If you've got any questions, I and a few others are long time M14 enthusiasts and M14TFL members. There not that hard to do some basic accurization on with putting a set of shims on if the gas system isn't unitized and a trigger job can be had for as little as $35 and a quick mail off to either SAI or Bill Springfield. I prefer to Tubb's chrome silicon springs for the hammer and op rod spring, Sadlak op rod guides and a few other parts, but even a basic M1A can be a good shooter. It depends on the rifle itself as they all don't shoot the same, the ammo it likes best and the shooter themselves. Lots of places for parts these days though and upgrades. JAE-100's if you want, a good old fashion usgi fiberglass, Sage stocks, Troy's, ArchAngel's, laminates and woods. Scope mounts, precision parts and flash suppressors and muzzle brakes.

:)

My once Standard with usgi H&R barrel.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went in to CA hell hole jail for 10 day wait. I never understood making someone who owns
as many guns as I do wait 10 days - ike I need a cooling off period.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Went in to CA hell hole jail for 10 day wait. I never understood making someone who owns
At least for now you can still have it after 10 days. That will be a story you tell the next generation.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I really don't know what to say about cooling of periods...other than they seem to be popular in some states...thing is after the wait you'll have a very nice rifle...I'm guessing you'll only be able to own the 10 round magazines as the standard ones are illegal in CA.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It's because one bullet from the mighty M14 can destroy small planets. They know this so you must wait till they can find enough desks to hide under and wimper till they feel safe.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nice trade. The M1A/M14 isn't my favorite 7.62 NATO/.308 rifle, but it's in the top three. Pics are certainly required when you do get it from CA.

·
Administrator
15,029 Posts
Uncle Sam issued me, at different times and places, two M14's and one M16A1.
Today I own an M1A and have absolutely no desire to own an AR of any description.
Mine is a Standard Model which serials to September 1994, so I've been told. Checking the component part numbers against Different's website indicates they are USGI. I have left it as-built with the exception of adding a bayonet-lugged flash hider. The only accessories added are a GI issue M6 bayonet and a GI issue OD Green web sling. Just like what was issued to me in 1968.
When I hold her in my arms, once again I am 19 years old and invinceable.
In addition to the M14forum.com that Fuzzee mentioned I recommend all M1A owners check out Different's site - Different
M14 Forum - M14 Forum for M14 M1A Rifles
http://www.teamm14.com/forum.php

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually possession oh a magazine over 10 rounds is not yet illegal here in CA. We just cant buy them, but we can buy parts to a magazine. We can even buy all the parts, and if we happen to put all the parts together it's ok, but we can't sell / trade it that way. I actually enjoy meeting folks out of state and explaining that one. Out of state retailers are fun. We call them up and say great deal you have, I'll take 10, but can you break em down into all their parts for me! Some actually do this for us, bless them. Yep I already lined up 3 days of work, t-w-th to make some money for magazine parts, ammo, reloading dies, etc.

I really don't know what to say about cooling of periods...other than they seem to be popular in some states...thing is after the wait you'll have a very nice rifle...I'm guessing you'll only be able to own the 10 round magazines as the standard ones are illegal in CA.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Ripon,
So you can buy standard 20 round magazine parts individually and assemble them into a functioning magazine and you're GTG?
See...I didn't know that...lol

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Actually possession oh a magazine over 10 rounds is not yet illegal here in CA. We just cant buy them, but we can buy parts to a magazine. We can even buy all the parts, and if we happen to put all the parts together it's ok, but we can't sell / trade it that way. I actually enjoy meeting folks out of state and explaining that one. Out of state retailers are fun. We call them up and say great deal you have, I'll take 10, but can you break em down into all their parts for me! Some actually do this for us, bless them. Yep I already lined up 3 days of work, t-w-th to make some money for magazine parts, ammo, reloading dies, etc.
Yeh, that's just stupid, no offense. But from what I've seen from California politicians, stupid is their standard thought process. I'm sure you've got your reasons for living there , but if it was me I would move up out of that place.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm 4th gen CA. It's hard to leave. My bug out is in Nevada. Six months ago I was set to move there upon my wife's retirement. We thought we'd go there and live it out there now she's having second thoughts. Our property is beyond rural, it's commonly called BFEgypt. There are some things in CA to enjoy, but the costs are getting ridiculous. By cost I mean in fortune and rights.

Yes CA anti gun politicos are stupid. Fortunately their inept stupidity has translated into some rights being maintained. We have a law against detachable magazines in rifles that can carry more than 10 rounds too. We invented the "bullet button" because the law says its ok (detachable mag) if a tool can be used to make the change. Hence the bullet button enables the tip of a bullet to release the mag and allow for a relatively quick change. Most bullet buttons can be instantly removed in time of urgent need too.

Yeh, that's just stupid, no offense. But from what I've seen from California politicians, stupid is their standard thought process. I'm sure you've got your reasons for living there , but if it was me I would move up out of that place.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I get the same comments---"oh ,I'd leave---how can you live there?". Some folks actually think they're gonna escape the upcoming draconian laws in their state.
And they think it's easy leaving relatives and jobs
See this is where you've got a big misconception in thinking that every state, or group of people or individual is going to bend over and pucker their cheeks for the federal goverments will. If my state does than either I'll move or resist in particualr ways. Depending on what happens. Either way I'm not dictating to a defeated attitude I've seen here already with various members.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts