Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's in your Get Home Bag?

Let's discuss "Get Home" bags. I suppose these are similar to bug out bags, but since bugging out is no longer in vogue, these bags focus on the essentials to help you survive while getting back home.

Mine has the basics covered, food, shelter, security, and a supply of survival related items. I can discuss more in depth later.. for now, here's a couple of pics of my bag.

What's in YOUR GHB? Post pics.

8C80E34B-AD4D-442E-9205-87492EFBE348.jpeg

8E64F08C-4BFD-424A-9D32-2C9C8F2DA3CC.jpeg

B3176F2F-0A74-4793-9C10-83590E92B5E1.jpeg

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Everything I didn't use in my Bug OUT bag.

·
Banned
20,845 Posts
Too tired and drunked up to go out to my truck and take a pic but I got lots of good shit in my GHB. But I know from memory whats in it. I've packed and repacked that bag so many times;

.22 Revolver
300 rounds of .22LR
Life Straw
Underwear
Socks
Solo Stove
Glucose Tabs for Mrs S
Mountain House Freeze Dried meals
A couple bottles of water
KABAR
Garmin GPS batteries stored separately
Rain Ponchos
Fleece Blanket
Fire Starter and Accelerant
Flash Lights with fresh batteries
Orange Blaze bandanas
Chewing Gum and Breath Mints
Travel Toothbrush and paste
Minnetonka Floppy Hat
First Aid Kit

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's mine (from loose memory, as I'm still in the process of setting it all up).

First aid kit (and combat IFAK with hemostatics and tourniquet.
A couple knives (fixed and folder).
Fire-starting materials (waterproof matches, lighter, mini fire-starting logs, and feral rod).
Shelter in the way of a tarp and plenty of paracord, and a rain jacket.
Food and water in the way of a few homemade MRE's and a nesting titanium cookstove/pot. Water supply/filters (life straw, generic filter bottle, and soon I'll have a Grayl Geopress).
Tons of cordage = twine, rope, and 550.
Survival tools (such as mini/multi tools, compasses(2), mini binocs, space blanket, emergency ponchos(2), a mil-surplus E-Tool folding shovel, and a complete stand alone molle admin pouch containing a number of duplicate items listed here (mini grab-n-go kit).
A solar powered battery bank.
Also have tactical items, such as a flashlight and several magazine's worth of 9mm ammo in a vacuum sealed pouch (assumption is I'll always have a gun/mags on me, so this is just extra).

I love hearing what other folks have.. I am already taking notes (need a hygiene kit w/ toothbrush).

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Too tired and drunked up to go out to my truck and take a pic but I got lots of good shit in my GHB. But I know from memory whats in it. I've packed and repacked that bag so many times;

.22 Revolver
300 rounds of .22LR
Life Straw
Underwear
Socks
Solo Stove
Glucose Tabs for Mrs S
Mountain House Freeze Dried meals
A couple bottles of water
KABAR
Garmin GPS batteries stored separately
Rain Ponchos
Fleece Blanket
Fire Starter and Accelerant
Flash Lights with fresh batteries
Orange Blaze bandanas
Chewing Gum and Breath Mints
Minnetonka Floppy Hat
First Aid Kit
I like your list. Don't forget one of these filled with bourbon (much lighter than a flask).

0fziik81c7ez.jpg

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
t
A lot of people don't think about this and I think it is very important. I have toothbrush and toothpaste in all of my bags. Dental health is very important and having a clean mouth is really good for morale as well. I could go weeks without a shower/bath if necessary, but I would hate to do the same without brushing my teeth. If a person feels like it is a waste of space or weight, sharpen the damn end of it and BAM you have a stabbing weapon. All the food in the world isn't going to do you much good if you can't eat it. And if it gets really bad, having the ability to bite the throat out of an opponent is a useful option to have in a fight. Neglect your teeth, and you might be trying to gum someone to death like an old dog.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Here's mine (from loose memory, as I'm still in the process of setting it all up).

First aid kit (and combat IFAK with hemostatics and tourniquet.
A couple knives (fixed and folder).
Fire-starting materials (waterproof matches, lighter, mini fire-starting logs, and feral rod).
Shelter in the way of a tarp and plenty of paracord, and a rain jacket.
Food and water in the way of a few homemade MRE's and a nesting titanium cookstove/pot. Water supply/filters (life straw, generic filter bottle, and soon I'll have a Grayl Geopress).
Tons of cordage = twine, rope, and 550.
Survival tools (such as mini/multi tools, compasses(2), mini binocs, space blanket, emergency ponchos(2), a mil-surplus E-Tool folding shovel, and a complete stand alone molle admin pouch containing a number of duplicate items listed here (mini grab-n-go kit).
A solar powered battery bank.
Also have tactical items, such as a flashlight and several magazine's worth of 9mm ammo in a vacuum sealed pouch (assumption is I'll always have a gun/mags on me, so this is just extra).

I love hearing what other folks have.. I am already taking notes (need a hygiene kit w/ toothbrush).
How much does your bag weigh? You may have to have BPH make you a body trailer to tote that thing. Or, you could just move in with him. He makes a pretty fair mule, if you whip him enough. :vs_laugh:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
How much does your bag weigh? You may have to have BPH make you a body trailer to tote that thing. Or, you could just move in with him. He makes a pretty fair mule, if you whip him enough. :vs_laugh:
It's not bad, actually. There are a few things I could do to lighten the load maybe.. but the pack is manageable... all of the stuff listed, and more, is in the pack pictured.

I used to "adventure race", and pack management was key.. we'd do everything possible to lighten our packs for the several day long races through the wilderness. When the race packs required a first aid kit, we'd put a bandaid in a zip lock, call it good...and so on... but certainly a true survival situation requires more substantial load out.. I've also backpacked through Europe, and carried a much larger and heavier pack. so I understand the premise behind trekking with a pack. This thread, and videos have been educational. There are a few things I plan to ditch from the bag, and a few things I need to add.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Neglect your teeth, and you might be trying to gum someone to death like an old dog.
Ignore your teeth and they'll go away.

Be true to your teeth or they'll be false to you.

Carry on.....

Reactions: stevekozak

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
having the ability to bite the throat out of an opponent is a useful option to have in a fight. Neglect your teeth, and you might be trying to gum someone to death like an old dog.
It will never get that bad... I will include a toothbrush in my bag. And the fact I've been teaching martial arts and combative for over a decade will hopefully help avoid me having to use the "gumming someone to death" technique

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
A lot of people don't think about this and I think it is very important. I have toothbrush and toothpaste in all of my bags. Dental health is very important and having a clean mouth is really good for morale as well. I could go weeks without a shower/bath if necessary, but I would hate to do the same without brushing my teeth. If a person feels like it is a waste of space or weight, sharpen the damn end of it and BAM you have a stabbing weapon. All the food in the world isn't going to do you much good if you can't eat it. And if it gets really bad, having the ability to bite the throat out of an opponent is a useful option to have in a fight. Neglect your teeth, and you might be trying to gum someone to death like an old dog.
I've been bashed many times for having brush/paste in my kits. They always say you can go a couple days without it.

True, but there's no guarantee you're going home with your GHB. You might end up at a shelter, you may hunker-down in place, lay down tracks to a rally point..... or you make for a member of your MAG to hole up for a while. In those cases you will want to take care of your bone box. These folks cannot comprehend there's anything other than their preconceived idea of 'getting home'. I'd rather have something available and toss it overboard when it's no longer needed, or just take it out of the bag and leave it in the vehicle if I honestly don't think I'll need it on the trip.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My contents vary depending on how far from home I'll be and the season.

Reactions: RedLion and SOCOM42
1 - 20 of 32 Posts