Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm starting to put together a get home bag incase I'm on the road when shtf. From the research I've done everyone's ghbs are usually on the small side I'm f fairly big buy at 6'4 and over 290 so I think I can hoof some weight. My concern is I'm a delevery driver and I can be anywhere in the state at any given time and from work to home alone is 50 miles. I'm starting with a military style pack with the Mille webbing. I have a military poncho a k-bar style knife a small sewing set a canteen with the cup on the bottom. 3 lighters for fire I will be planning to add food some kind of water filtration a firstaid kit of some kind cloths for the season. And have more suggestions please toss them out. I'm doing this on a budget I'm not able to carry a firearm with me on the job but I do keep one in my jeep.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My truck bob is non-threatening. I don't believe in a military bag for a vehicle bob.
My home bob has a knife, flashlight,etc attached to the exterior.
The reason that i have a regular jansport type truck bob is because i want to look like any other guy walking with the masses. If shtf while under way, ill have a pistol in my pocket and a large fighting knife really accessible, but hidden away.
Imo, a military type pack screams "I'm prepared and I've got stuff" whereas a normal backpack says "ive got school books and my lunch".

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey everyone I'm starting to put together a get home bag incase I'm on the road when shtf. From the research I've done everyone's ghbs are usually on the small side I'm f fairly big buy at 6'4 and over 290 so I think I can hoof some weight. My concern is I'm a delevery driver and I can be anywhere in the state at any given time and from work to home alone is 50 miles. I'm starting with a military style pack with the Mille webbing. I have a military poncho a k-bar style knife a small sewing set a canteen with the cup on the bottom. 3 lighters for fire I will be planning to add food some kind of water filtration a firstaid kit of some kind cloths for the season. And have more suggestions please toss them out. I'm doing this on a budget I'm not able to carry a firearm with me on the job but I do keep one in my jeep.
You are my height but a little bit heavy to be thinking you'll do a whole lotta humping with a heavy ruck. So you'll definitely want to lighten the load a bit - a good start would be losing 50 pds - I know because I did it when I got overweight and it is not easy. Practice humping with your ruck and you'll lose some weight.

Now, about the contents of your ruck. You're going to need to do more in terms of water. Purification tablets, filters, etc., but have three or four or five redundant systems in place for water. I carry some v-shaped coffee filters, purification tablets, a Micro Mini, a purification straw and a steri pen all in my ruck in different pockets.

You'll also need a way to make fire - lighters are great, when they work, but have a flint and steel backup and then maybe another type of backup like matches, etc., along with some fire starting materials in the way of tinder, vas cotton balls, etc.

You need a poncho liner.

You need cordage.

You need some fishing items. I use old empty Copenhagen and Skoal plastic tins for modular kits.

Extra socks, at least two pair. And some mole skin and bandaids.

No gun? Okay, then get yourself a couple of cans of pepper spray and keep them handy. But I'll be damned if I would let a company keep me from protecting myself.

A canteen with a cup is one thing - a Wiggy Bottle or Kelly Kettle is something else, something better.

That's a quick response - but practice with what you have, learn to use it before you need to use it. :) Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts