Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband works 900 miles away. Got him to read One Second After and now he's *much* more on board with this crazy prepping fad of mine. We've talked about a few scenarios, but I have a hard time envisioning what supplies I should be getting for his get home bag since he may be faced with trying to hoof it 900 miles. This time of year, I don't even think that would be possible.

So if you were faced with getting home from such a distance, what essential gear would you stock in your bag?

...maybe I should just put a new husband in my preps in case that one breaks down on the way home. :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
966 Posts
It would take at least 45 days to walk it so carrying enough food is out of the question. He will need a sleeping bag and pad to meet the lowest anticipated temperature. tent, cooking gear, personal hygene kit, first aid, cold weather clothing, wind/waterproof shell, hat and mittens.

You can meet all these requirements plus pack for around 10 pounds if you spend enough money. He could start with five days of food at around 2lbs/day for another ten pounds.

I walked about 2,200 miles in 5 1/2 months so I have an idea of what it would take.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
My first question would be what type vehicle he has? Small truck can get a work box for the back that the lower half is an extra fuel tank. Also would look at backup transportation like a bicycle with a little trailer behind it that would carry a fair size pack.

Even a small unit would give an extra 30 gallons.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
To get home from 900 miles away a person is going to need a full blown long term sustainment bag and the skills to survive. There's no way to carry enough food, so you have to be able to forage or you'll starve. You have to be able to find and have clean water from as many sources as possible or you'll dehydrate and die well before you starve. You need to have shelter, durable and protective clothing, maps, compass, tools, fishing gear, trap wire, med supplies, fire starters, sewing kit to mend, a defensive firearm (if possible), etc. I'd start with getting him a SAS handbook, work expanding his clothing with a good pair of hiking boots, buy a quality pack and continue on. That's really just a simplified answer because there's a lot of item details.

SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For Any Climate, in Any Situation: John 'Lofty' Wiseman: 9780061733192: Amazon.com: Books

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Get him some Dr. Scholls. Seriously.

A tent is great, but it can be bulky and unwieldy short of spending some really good money (I have a pup tent that cost $30 which is the exception to the rule). A tarp is good enough and easy to set up nearly anywhere if you know a few common knots. Carrying a rifle and lots of ammo is a sure thing, but a few snares or knowing how to trap might save his life if the rifle fails. Just like the tent you can spend a ridiculous amount of money on water purification or filtration, but all you really need to do is bring it to a rolling boil, so plan a route that keeps him near water as much as possible and make sure he has enough Bics to last the trip and at least one method of backup if he loses his whole bag.

When it comes to long term survival outside of your home, the skills you can learn bushcrafting are far more important than any tool in your kit. Tools are great, but in the end there's always the chance you won't have them.

I walked about 2,200 miles in 5 1/2 months so I have an idea of what it would take.
You did the Appalachian Trail I'm guessing?

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Even a bush plane with external fuel tank wouldn't even get him half way home.

Small truck normally has about a 17 gallon gas tank. With external tank of atleast 30 gallons would give 47 gallons total. If the vehicle averaged 20mpg that would be 940 miles.

A vehicle that would carry enough fuel to make the trip is the only logical choice to be able to get home ASAP.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
He should get an Army uniform with insignia from a Military Intelligence unit and try to lie his way onto a military transport.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can meet all these requirements plus pack for around 10 pounds if you spend enough money. He could start with five days of food at around 2lbs/day for another ten pounds.
Do you have some specific products I could look at? I don't know where to start looking for super lightweight gear like that.

My first question would be what type vehicle he has?
Er, none. :( Motor blew when he was bringing it back home and we haven't gotten a new rig yet.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I would want a GPS with topographical maps installed. If I was going to buy one now I would get one of the Garmin GPSmap-62 series.
It is pre loaded with all the topographical maps of the USA and more. So you could use roads, railroad tracks, pipe lines, streams,rivers, power lines and many other features that are on topographical maps.
Since GPS depend on satellites and they are powered from the sun they are immune from power outages and weather and earthly events. Even if the satellites were somehow disabled the GPS would still be very useful because it has all the topographical maps stored. Now I know some will say you could get a topographical map app on your smart phone but that isn't the same as a smart phone needs to download the map of your area from the cell towers then use the gps for positoning. Without cell towers reception your position will just look like a blue dot on a blank screen and you would see that a lot if traveling off the beaten path.

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
900 miles after the S has hit the fan to the point where he would be relying on survival skills to traverse the distance?
Some things are just not to be expected.
There are so many things that would prevent a successful return. Off the top of my head, people is the first problem. Avoiding cities would be necessary since they'll be turned into concentration camps by the Man. That'll throw him into the countryside, which is going to add miles to the trip and is going to put him in the position of trying to dodge "toll booths," trigger-happy land owners, bands of rogues and the like. Chances of making it will decline as the days go by, as he will fatigue and the dirtbags will organize to take advantage. By that, I mean the already prepped government as well as the rogues, renegades and garden variety thugs.

I do not envy y'all.

Sorry; hate to be a downer, but keeping it real is a must. You can't pack a magic BoB, and he isn't Rambo. :-(

·
Registered
234 Posts
To get home from 900 miles away a person is going to need a full blown long term sustainment bag and the skills to survive. There's no way to carry enough food, so you have to be able to forage or you'll starve. You have to be able to find and have clean water from as many sources as possible or you'll dehydrate and die well before you starve. You need to have shelter, durable and protective clothing, maps, compass, tools, fishing gear, trap wire, med supplies, fire starters, sewing kit to mend, a defensive firearm (if possible), etc. I'd start with getting him a SAS handbook, work expanding his clothing with a good pair of hiking boots, buy a quality pack and continue on. That's really just a simplified answer because there's a lot of item details.

SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For Any Climate, in Any Situation: John 'Lofty' Wiseman: 9780061733192: Amazon.com: Books
I'm all over that book!

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Success would depend more on the timing than anything else. If he acted fast enough, he might be able to fly out in time.

900 miles is a long way, the longer he waits, the harder it gets.

In general, I would think in terms of snares, fishing, and foraging instead of hunting. He wouldn't want to call a lot of attention to himself.

Also, I am serious about the military uniform. There were so many different units involved in Katrina that it would have been impossible to know who belongs there and who was faking it. MI units usually operate in very small units. It wouldn't seem that out of place for a single soldier to be operating in an area, and not that strange that nobody in regular units would know about them being there. I would make myself a captain or first lieutenant because many troopers, especially those in a National Guard unit, would think twice before giving an officer a hard time. The lack of proper military ID is a problem, but not necessarily a fatal one.

I don't think he would have much success trying to bluff a unit like the 82nd Airborne or other highly trained unit, but the National Guard would be fairly easy, I suspect. Doing a little research and knowing "your" unit's commanding officer's name would help, as would being able to name an actual unit within the Military Intelligence structure. The recent purge of high ranking generals just makes the whole thing easier because there are a lot of new commanders out there.

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
That's an idea, Prep, but I'm not sure how he is going to get on a transport without a CAC. He'll have to walk up to the load master, present his CAC and be confirmed to be on the manifest. Until recently, my last military gig was with a Air Reserve C-130 unit, in both the load section as well as in the APS squadron. These guys have been rotated in and out of Iraq, Afghanistan, etc., and they are not easily duped and are not bullied by rank. That load master at the ramp is probably backed by a couple LTCs up front, and that load is the big dog in the back. The APS folks get the "pax" to the plane, and no one simply wanders up and catches a ride, no matter what the MOS/AFSC, rank or unit. Not without a particular piece of ID, which a civilian is likely to know about or have.

I really hate to be the downer, here. I guess it is not surprising why I am not invited to many cocktail parties. Actually, I have never been invited to a cocktail party.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Denton, I was thinking more along the lines of jacking a Hummer. :)

You might also be able to hitch a ride on a local helicopter or something.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
900 miles!?!

Stanley 55-099 FatMax Xtreme Fubar Functional Utility Bar - Amazon.com

This thing is HEAVY, but would pay for it's self 1,000 times over as a breaching / entry tool. I got one at Home Depot and can say once you handle it, you'll no longer have ANY doubt about being able to get through ANY door, into any car, bust open the steering column and start it, etc., etc.. Whatever it is, if you need into it, a good whack and a little prying from this and you'll be there.

Odds are against you making it 900 miles post SHTF without changing vehicle a few times, or needing to get into some place for some form of supply. Though not the correct answer in civilized times, When S has HTF, and you NEED to get somewhere for the sake of your family. I'd be very happy to carry a tool like this!

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
A guy on another forum had a similar problem but was 1200 miles. He got a diesel 1/2 ton truck. Added a 50gal tank & topper to the back. Carries enough fuel to be able to get home. But also kept two 5gal gas cans in the back just incase he was able to get some fuel early on in the trip.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry; hate to be a downer, but keeping it real is a must. You can't pack a magic BoB, and he isn't Rambo. :-(
No need to apologize. I feel the same way. I mean, the odds are so hugely stacked against him, but how could he not try? He wouldn't be able to survive there in any case. It's one of the most godforsaken barren wastelands of the buttcrack of the world. Seriously, it's awful there. Also, Denton, if I were ever the type to throw a cocktail party (who needs 'em when you've got beer and a bonfire?!), I'd totally invite you. We could hold up our pinkies and have some appetizers while talking about the latest opera.

Can I multi quote on two different pages? In any case, as for getting a job closer to home, this is where he ended up after a year of unemployment. He might have something in the spring but we're waiting to see if that opportunity pans out. In the meantime, he's where he is.

We've talked about me coming to get him, but I have the kids and to be completely frank, if I had to choose risking him over risking them...well, I'm a mother, after all.

I guess the best thing to do is get him another diesel and stock it. We have a 100 gallon slip tank here almost full from the ill-fated return trip so we'll just slap 'er in a new one. Then plan for the likelihood of stealing/getting another vehicle.

So, so far, I've got the book and the bar on my list. Any other essentials? He's getting an AR for Christmas and I was going to keep it here but maybe I should plan on sending it with him so he could use it on the way back. He's already talking getting two, his and hers. :D

1 - 20 of 74 Posts