Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I've been thinking about this lately and started wondering what your thoughts are on my subject. I have a 91/30 mosin that I've been to the range with a few times. Right now it has only iron sights on it. I shoot it at 100 yards and can hit a man size target with the iron sights. I wanted to get a scope for it but its looking like my only options are a scout style scope(which I do not want) or having to modify the bolt handle and having a gunsmith mounting a pu style scope on it. Would I be better off getting a light hunting style .308 rifle or keeping the mosin and modding it. One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the mosin is because of the price of ammo. Just want to know your thoughts.
Thanks James

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There are at least a dozen standard scope mounts available for the MN. The original PU sniper rifle mounts complete with the scopes, or Rock Solid Industries makes a nice mount, it goes on and on. The scout rifle type mount is most popular right now because it's the "latest thing" is all.

American logic is "No matter what, more is better", if your a subscriber, stick with the Mosin. It IS more powerful than the .308. The benefit of the .308 is the amazing range of commercially available MODERN ammunition, and available rifle style choices. The fact that it's quieter shooting, with less muzzle flash makes it the better "sniper" choice. There are a lot of benefits to either gun though. But given that the Mosin sells "new" for about $129 from most places, your not going to get enough for it as a trade to validate giving it up imo. Hang on to it long enough and it MAY go up in value. People used to buy 1903's for $79 all day long, NOW look what their going for!!!

Keep the Mosin and get the .308 as well.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Doing anything to a Mosin is like polishing a turd. The advancements that have been made, even a Walmart rifle will out perform a Mosin. They are what they are. It's like an old muscle car, very cool but if you truly want performance buy a new car.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
One of, if not THE most successful sniper of all time. Vasily Zaytsev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Zaytsev made an estimated 400 kills, some of which were over 1000 meters" The guy made confirmed kills at 900 yards with a standard issue Mosin WITH OPEN SIGHTS! Definition of that? He is "THE MAN"!!!

If you like guns at all, "Enemy at the Gates" is a MUST SEE. Enemy at the Gates (2001) - IMDb

·
Registered
2,417 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No the barrel is good. The ranges I have access to are only 100 yards. I have a friend that lives out in the middle of the woods that has a 300 yard range but I don't feel good shooting my mosin at that distance and missing and maybe hitting a house or someone else a mile away. I cant move closer because we are shooting across a swamp and can't setup anything closer. I use to shoot my old 30-30 and 30-06 at those distances with no issues but I had more confidence because they both had scopes at the time I owned them. Another reason why I was thinking of keeping the mosin is because I already have an ar15 and will be getting another one by the end of next month. I was going to use the mosin or what ever .308 rifle for hunting bigger game. I guess it would be more of a shtf hunting rifle...
Thanks again
James

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Throw the mosin in your vehicle as a beater gun. A Savage is accurate enough that 99.99% wouldn't be able to be as accurate as. 7.62NATO can be shot in a 308WIN.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Definitely the man and not the equipment.
Vasily's the man. Mosin's a gun not the gun. Considering this mornings festivities at the DC Naval yard answer these questions.... What do you have? What can you get? Are you better starting anew? Are you better supplementing and or enhancing what you have? Think about it...

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
The Mosi is a fun-gun that will do in a pinch, Keep it. I have some 180gr. Sellier & Bellot soft tips for hunting if needed but there is not a good variety available. They would tear up a medium to small animal (southern deer and smaller). Will be getting an entry level Ruger or Savage (American or Axis) fairly soon, hopefully. Unsure yet, if I want the 243 or 308.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
308 that was an easy one

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
"Keep the Mosin and get the .308 as well"

I agree, I have em both. I recommend adding a Mosin M-44 to your mix as well. M-44 is a shorter barrel M91/30.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
"Keep the Mosin and get the .308 as well"

I agree, I have em both. I recommend adding a Mosin M-44 to your mix as well. M-44 is a shorter barrel M91/30.
And a viscous spike of a bayonet built right in! :D I declare the first of us to kill a wild boar with an M44 bayonet KING OF THE FORUM!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to keep the mosin regardless. What I was really wondering if You guys think I could get by with just the mosin put a scope on it and get a few 880 cans of ammo. Or keep the gun the way it is and just have it to have fun with and buy a 308 bolt gun for my shtf gun?
I guess that's a better way to ask the question lol..
Thanks for the input
James

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Its just nice to have a beater gun you don't have much invested in. I have a Spanish FR8 for that & it shoots 7.62NATO. So I suggest keeping it then getting something like a Savage bolt gun in 308WIN & put a decent scope on it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Check out Ruger's Gun Sight Scout 308. I put a 24 inch eye relief scope on it. I can transition from seeing a target to cross hairs quicker than any other gun/scope combo I have.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts