Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,860 Posts
You're certainly not paranoid.
You're noticing things you're just not meant to notice...

There was a time when "journalists" took great pride in doing real investigating, questioning officials, and breaking open hidden things that were supposed to stay hidden. That was supplanted by the 24-hour news cycle, and the need to fill every hour with something "newsworthy". Journalists got lazy. TV and radio news started seeing the value in the ears and eyeballs receiving their advertisements, and they began to focus more on generating revenue from their commercials.
Real journalism took a back seat. Ethics became flexible. Narratives could be crafted with the promise of "airtime" and subsidies. Politicians began to "leak"(push) stories to reporters instead of reporters finding their own.
The agenda could then be controlled, and the people would now only receive the information that was tailored for them to see.
All regimes understand, to control the people, you must control their access to information. This is why we saw such a large push on various social media platforms to stop the new bad thing, "misinformation". We're now learning that the FBI leaned on the tech companies running these sites, and pressure them to suppress specific stories and promote others.
No... you're certainly not paranoid.
Sadly, we've seen this before. The only thing that rectifies it is immense suffering. Pain has a way of purifying, burning away the bad... Each time a regime has developed a large propaganda wing, it has only been toppled when the regime fell to a superior force (Nazis) or collapsed from within(Soviets). Suddenly, people want to know the real truth, and start demanding answers to why they were lied to or mislead for so long to allow such awful events to happen, and terrible people to come to power.
Journalism resets, reporters get their edge back and go full cutthroat on any politician who gives the slightest hint of secrecy in their dealings.
Eventually complacency sets in again... and the pattern repeats.

As for the television running on wireless "radio" power...
Nicola Tesla envisioned such technology. He conceived of a wireless power delivery system. Even built a huge tower to test it, the "Wardenclyffe Tower". Though it only ended up being used to send wireless messages, or so he claimed, the technology would have been similar... Funding fell through, and the lab was eventually abandoned.
Does the concept have merit? Perhaps. Tesla was pretty smart, but also a little manic.
A little bit of reading on the concept and use of "rectennas" should give some insight.
Personally, I'd have to see it to believe it. Powering a ~50w tv with nothing but radio waves seems a bit far fetched to me.
Not impossible, mind you... but hard for me to believe out of hand.

Reactions: Annie

·
Super Moderator
10,860 Posts
Regarding the use of radio signals to power a tv set. A number of years ago I attended a medical communicators meeting at which Gary Schwitzer, one of the founders of the now gone "Health Science Reviews" site, was the keynote speaker. I'm paraphrasing here, but he basically said that media reporting on science consisted of a few towering pinnacles of excellence surrounded by a vast sea of drek. He pointed out that so-called science journalists would frequently describe preliminary results using relative statistics in breathless tones. As an example he mentioned articles in which they would describe a treatment that reduced fractures by a full 50%. The problem was that the actual frequency of fractures before this additional treatment was 2 in 100, and after treatment that was reduced to 1 in 100 - hardly a clinical breakthrough. The same may be true of the power-the-tv report. It may actually work, but is it practical? If it takes a rooftop worth of receivers to power a single tv, perhaps they would be better off using solar panels and use those to power the whole building. YMMV.
I did a bit of research into this, since it piqued my interest.
Turns out, this inventor claims to have invented a device which can pull 500 watts of power at 15 amps out of radio waves. He affixes this device to the television, and plugs the television's power port into it.
According to him, when the TV is off and not consuming energy, the device can be used to power other things. The example given was two 100w lightbulbs to light the room.
500 watts... 15 amps...
I'm not buying it.

·
Super Moderator
10,860 Posts
Applying a specific statement about a particular thing to everything else in an obscenely broad and general fashion is certainly the best way to go through life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts