Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Regarding the use of radio signals to power a tv set. A number of years ago I attended a medical communicators meeting at which Gary Schwitzer, one of the founders of the now gone "Health Science Reviews" site, was the keynote speaker. I'm paraphrasing here, but he basically said that media reporting on science consisted of a few towering pinnacles of excellence surrounded by a vast sea of drek. He pointed out that so-called science journalists would frequently describe preliminary results using relative statistics in breathless tones. As an example he mentioned articles in which they would describe a treatment that reduced fractures by a full 50%. The problem was that the actual frequency of fractures before this additional treatment was 2 in 100, and after treatment that was reduced to 1 in 100 - hardly a clinical breakthrough. The same may be true of the power-the-tv report. It may actually work, but is it practical? If it takes a rooftop worth of receivers to power a single tv, perhaps they would be better off using solar panels and use those to power the whole building. YMMV.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did a bit of research into this, since it piqued my interest.
Turns out, this inventor claims to have invented a device which can pull 500 watts of power at 15 amps out of radio waves. He affixes this device to the television, and plugs the television's power port into it.
According to him, when the TV is off and not consuming energy, the device can be used to power other things. The example given was two 100w lightbulbs to light the room.
500 watts... 15 amps...
I'm not buying it.
Believe me, I'm not buying it either. I do say that even if true, it's hardly a practical breakthrough. The reporter should go back to cheering breakthroughs on hair regrowth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts