Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

tl;dr: I feel like we are not told the (full) truth on TV and newspaper. Am I too paranoid?

Today I was having my breakfast and watching the news - just like almost every morning (I like my routines). But since a few weeks I feel like they are trying to manipulate me with.. well.. maybe not really telling lies, but at least telling just part of the truth or to hide something by talking about other things or distracting me. Please allow me to give you guys some examples:

Building Window Fixture Rectangle Font

They said: "Government announced that gas storage is filled up 90% so we are unlikely to face any blackout or shortage". I got curious and checked AGSI. And indeed - we are on 90%. But I also read there, that we do have a consumption of 995.2735 TWh at the same time. So with 220.2848 TWh being 90%, a full storage would be around 244.760 TWh. So even our gas storage would be filled 100%, we would still consume 4 times of that.

What am I missing? Consumption is 4 times higher than what we can store max. How should that make me feel better? Thats like saying "yes, gas stations are out of gas, but good news is that your cars gas tank is full".

Another example (also from today):

Flash photography Tree Event Audio equipment Motor vehicle

They said, that the future of car energy will be hydrogen. All problems according gas shortage and stuff could be solved, especially with a future mix of electric vehicles and hydrogen powered cars.

OK.. but where does that energy come from? I am really not into that topic, but from what I read, it takes minimum 25% more energy to energize hydrogen than what you get back from it. So how will we benefit from this technology, if it eats up more energy than it provides?

Last example:

Output device Font Gadget Communication Device Electronic device

4 days ago they announced, that a guy from Africa invented a TV that produces energy. It does not consume energy, no, it produces energy by turning radio waves into energy. WTF!? Everyone who ever used a wireless charging pad for his iPhone knows how much energy it takes, how long it takes and how much energy gets lost. And this guy turns radio signals/waves into energy to power a TV and other devices in the same room. Don't get me wrong. He is not using some generator - instead the TV itself is that generator. Its all build into this TV. A "Perpetuum mobile". They also claim that Mexico and North America are already using this new generators for street lamps.

My friends from the USA. Please tell me more about this great technology that powers your street lamps by transforming radio and wifi signals into energy. Never heard about it before.

(translation below)
Purple Sky Violet Font Circle

Translation:

Free energy and wireless devices with their own power supply - this sounds good not only for Africa. Street lighting, which is no longer powered by solar, but with radio waves - also an invention of Chikumbutso. They are already shining in Mexico and North America.

FYI: This is not from some private news channel, trying to gain attention and making easy money. This is ARD - public service television.

Wikipedia:

ARD is a joint organisation of Germany's regional public-service broadcasters. It was founded in 1950 in West Germany to represent the common interests of the new, decentralised, post-war broadcasting services – in particular the introduction of a joint television network.

The ARD has a budget of €6.9 billion, 22,612 employees and is the largest public broadcaster network in the world. The budget comes primarily from a licence fee which every household, company and public institution are required by law to pay. For an ordinary household the fee is currently €18.36 per month. Households living on welfare are exempt from the fee. The fees are not collected directly by the ARD, but by the Beitragsservice (formerly known as Gebühreneinzugszentrale GEZ), a common organisation of the ARD member broadcasters, the second public TV broadcaster ZDF, and Deutschlandradio.

Those are just 3 examples from within the last 5 days. We get such news every day and I really feel like they are trying to manipulate me. Am I too paranoid? Do I just not get it right? Am I in lack of understanding physics and energy and stuff?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me add something here: I know, that there are reasons for not telling everything to the public. You want to avoid panic. I can understand this. But there is a difference between trying to keep people calm and avoid panic - and telling lies.

So even some politicians are trying to tell us bs, I would expect journalists to not eat it and instead investigate and dig into it to see if things are true or made up by politics.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Welcome

What we're seeing here is the media act as the propaganda arm of the progressive party. Additionally companies like Twitter are censoring any one who disagrees with the party line. Kind of like Germany under Adolph Hitler in the late '30's.

Sorry if it seems that history is repeating itself

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
11,032 Posts
You're certainly not paranoid.
You're noticing things you're just not meant to notice...

There was a time when "journalists" took great pride in doing real investigating, questioning officials, and breaking open hidden things that were supposed to stay hidden. That was supplanted by the 24-hour news cycle, and the need to fill every hour with something "newsworthy". Journalists got lazy. TV and radio news started seeing the value in the ears and eyeballs receiving their advertisements, and they began to focus more on generating revenue from their commercials.
Real journalism took a back seat. Ethics became flexible. Narratives could be crafted with the promise of "airtime" and subsidies. Politicians began to "leak"(push) stories to reporters instead of reporters finding their own.
The agenda could then be controlled, and the people would now only receive the information that was tailored for them to see.
All regimes understand, to control the people, you must control their access to information. This is why we saw such a large push on various social media platforms to stop the new bad thing, "misinformation". We're now learning that the FBI leaned on the tech companies running these sites, and pressure them to suppress specific stories and promote others.
No... you're certainly not paranoid.
Sadly, we've seen this before. The only thing that rectifies it is immense suffering. Pain has a way of purifying, burning away the bad... Each time a regime has developed a large propaganda wing, it has only been toppled when the regime fell to a superior force (Nazis) or collapsed from within(Soviets). Suddenly, people want to know the real truth, and start demanding answers to why they were lied to or mislead for so long to allow such awful events to happen, and terrible people to come to power.
Journalism resets, reporters get their edge back and go full cutthroat on any politician who gives the slightest hint of secrecy in their dealings.
Eventually complacency sets in again... and the pattern repeats.

As for the television running on wireless "radio" power...
Nicola Tesla envisioned such technology. He conceived of a wireless power delivery system. Even built a huge tower to test it, the "Wardenclyffe Tower". Though it only ended up being used to send wireless messages, or so he claimed, the technology would have been similar... Funding fell through, and the lab was eventually abandoned.
Does the concept have merit? Perhaps. Tesla was pretty smart, but also a little manic.
A little bit of reading on the concept and use of "rectennas" should give some insight.
Personally, I'd have to see it to believe it. Powering a ~50w tv with nothing but radio waves seems a bit far fetched to me.
Not impossible, mind you... but hard for me to believe out of hand.

Reactions: Annie

·
Registered
Bugging IN
201 Posts
Right- stories leave me with more questions than answers. We ragged the Germans for not doing something @ Hitler yet we are in the same cycle and doing What?

The President of Serbia has warned that the planet is entering into a “great world conflict” that could take place within the next two months. “You see a crisis in every part of the world,” Vucic told the Serbian state broadcaster RTS... after a certain time – maybe a month or two, even – we will enter a great world conflict not seen since the Second World War,” he said.

·
Registered
17 Posts
TV stations are owned by rich people or need to have stories to keep the taxpayers paying for them. If they deem a story too boring, they won't show it. It is known what a short attention span people have. It is a business, like any other. They sell us what we are buying. Entertainment value is always more important than information value. Drama, drama, drama and allowing the viewer to play the victim with the story is the best way to get an audience and advertisers.

The TV as generator is an interesting story though. I'd like to see the science behind it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't your government mandate fuel use to go down they expect you to heat just one room of your house and have the rest of the house be refrigerated.
Pretty much, yes. Because some people are a bit afraid now and because fuel is super expensive, people started to buy electric radiators. If I remember right, 600000 heaters were sold and that's another reason a blackout may happen. Imagine all those hunderets of thousends of electric heaters turned on in winter. Much too much energy consumption.

BTW.. I bought fuel for my car today, as it was pretty "cheap". 1.87 EUR per liter. Thats USD1.84 per liter or USD 8.5 per gallon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Regarding the use of radio signals to power a tv set. A number of years ago I attended a medical communicators meeting at which Gary Schwitzer, one of the founders of the now gone "Health Science Reviews" site, was the keynote speaker. I'm paraphrasing here, but he basically said that media reporting on science consisted of a few towering pinnacles of excellence surrounded by a vast sea of drek. He pointed out that so-called science journalists would frequently describe preliminary results using relative statistics in breathless tones. As an example he mentioned articles in which they would describe a treatment that reduced fractures by a full 50%. The problem was that the actual frequency of fractures before this additional treatment was 2 in 100, and after treatment that was reduced to 1 in 100 - hardly a clinical breakthrough. The same may be true of the power-the-tv report. It may actually work, but is it practical? If it takes a rooftop worth of receivers to power a single tv, perhaps they would be better off using solar panels and use those to power the whole building. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
11,032 Posts
Regarding the use of radio signals to power a tv set. A number of years ago I attended a medical communicators meeting at which Gary Schwitzer, one of the founders of the now gone "Health Science Reviews" site, was the keynote speaker. I'm paraphrasing here, but he basically said that media reporting on science consisted of a few towering pinnacles of excellence surrounded by a vast sea of drek. He pointed out that so-called science journalists would frequently describe preliminary results using relative statistics in breathless tones. As an example he mentioned articles in which they would describe a treatment that reduced fractures by a full 50%. The problem was that the actual frequency of fractures before this additional treatment was 2 in 100, and after treatment that was reduced to 1 in 100 - hardly a clinical breakthrough. The same may be true of the power-the-tv report. It may actually work, but is it practical? If it takes a rooftop worth of receivers to power a single tv, perhaps they would be better off using solar panels and use those to power the whole building. YMMV.
I did a bit of research into this, since it piqued my interest.
Turns out, this inventor claims to have invented a device which can pull 500 watts of power at 15 amps out of radio waves. He affixes this device to the television, and plugs the television's power port into it.
According to him, when the TV is off and not consuming energy, the device can be used to power other things. The example given was two 100w lightbulbs to light the room.
500 watts... 15 amps...
I'm not buying it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Turns out, this inventor claims to have invented a device which can pull 500 watts of power at 15 amps out of radio waves. He affixes this device to the television, and plugs the television's power port into it.
According to him, when the TV is off and not consuming energy, the device can be used to power other things. The example given was two 100w lightbulbs to light the room.
500 watts... 15 amps...
I'm not buying it.
Believe me, I'm not buying it either. I do say that even if true, it's hardly a practical breakthrough. The reporter should go back to cheering breakthroughs on hair regrowth.

·
Registered
292 Posts
500 watts... 15 amps...
I'm not buying it.
Nor should we. Zim BS. Technical expertise by guys who can’t use a screwdriver.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,155 Posts
A little off Topic, but do you really believe there were actual living people on the moon in in 1969?
Okay wise guy. Neil Armstrong and Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin were on the moon in '69!

There's many things we don't know and haven't yet discovered. In other words, ‘There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.’

Who knows?

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
If you have to actually 'see' something to believe it's true, I guess 99.99999999% of the earth doesn't exist because I've never seen it.

·
Super Moderator
11,032 Posts
Applying a specific statement about a particular thing to everything else in an obscenely broad and general fashion is certainly the best way to go through life.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The world has morphed into a massive, high tech, sophisticated battle for the most valuable thing in the world: your attention. The only messages that get through are the well funded propaganda and the completely crazy stuff.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,155 Posts
I feel like we are not told the (full) truth on TV and newspaper. Am I too paranoid?

Today I was having my breakfast and watching the news - just like almost every morning (I like my routines). But since a few weeks I feel like they are trying to manipulate me with.. well.. maybe not really telling lies, but at least telling just part of the truth or to hide something by talking about other things or distracting me.
Back to this...Yes, absolutely we're being lied to by the media on a continual basis. It's very difficult to ascertain the complete truth about almost anything.

Especially if the news report is whipping emotions into the story or there's gas lighting going on, I turn it off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts