Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum, new to prepping, and looking to invest in a generator mainly for emergency purposes, but may want to use it for general use as well on occasion.

I have an (at this point) unused but full 250 gallon propane tank on my property for the purpose of fueling a pool heater, and wondering if propane is a better general choice for generator than gasoline for the following reasons:
1) I have a big tank already
2) I have two small portable 5 gal tanks
3) I think in a crisis that gasoline could become scarce.

Thoughts on this? I'm wary about storing gasoline long term and think that if I got a petrol generator, i could be left with a paper weight. Are Propane generators practical? Are their any that run on both propane and Gasoline?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Reactions: Ripon

·
Registered
466 Posts
Propane is the choice of the winners who live on solar like me, as when it is overcast, you get little or no solar, and your gennerator comes on auto and charges your batteries.
Yes, you lose about 10% effeciency when using propane over reg gas, but will keep for ever, while gas won't. Neither will diesel by the way as it starts to grow algie.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I'm not an expert in multi fuel generators but that seems a logical choice. Of course you can't
buy a new diesel generator in good ole California the air quality gestapho has them banned.

Based on having such a large propane tank for your pool that would be my first choice, but I'd
also consider getting an additional large tank - I'm not sure what services are available to you
but here in CA you can darn near get a tank for free just by agreeing to buy from a company
that will fill it for you.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You can buy what is known as a "Tri Fuel" generator. They burn natural gas, propane and gasoline. You will most likely get your best deal from Northern Tool. They seem to have a pretty extensive line of generators in stock all the time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You should turn out to be like Mad Max.

Raise pigs for the methane, as a side bonus Bacon and smoked pork butt.

Perhaps nadja's Tri fuel is a winner.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
...Based on having such a large propane tank for your pool that would be my first choice...
Large tanks or multiple tanks for ANY FLUID are fantastic! But only if they are full. Try building the discipline of refilling your large tank when it is half empty.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Generators are a hard subject.
The engine. For the most part diesel engine will last many running hours longer with less work needed. They can burn normal diesel fuel any of the new so called bio diesel, heating oil and number 1 diesel, They can burn a mixture of 1 part gas to 4 parts oil if need be. Diesel can be stored for a long time if kept from water. They can be harder to run in real cold weather unless you are ready for it.
Gas starts and runs good in most weather does not store well of long periods of time. Older simpler carb models easier to work on. Not many option on fuel but some can be converted but hard to do right.
LP/Natural gas. Hard to store requires pressurized container to move, High water content corrosive
The best long term option IMO is diesel for and engine.
New generators are cheaply made they will not hold up and run for years like the older one. They do produce a bit more power from smaller units but they burn out much sooner.
Cross over engines that burn LP and gas have been around longer than we have been alive, the work but have issues.
There are old engines that will burn all most any gas ,diesel and or oil mixes like those in the Army deuce and a half. IMO that would be the engine to have running a power source when SHTF.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think the best bet is to get an old mil-surp diesel genny and plan on having it serviced from head to toe and restored to as good as new or better status.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts