Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So around my parts of southeastern Wisconsin gas is down to around 2.99 a gallon. Sure beats the hell out of 4.03 I was seeing this summer. But the question is how much is a good amount to have at all times? If you figure gas only last for a 12-16 months before it starts going bad. So if you have a gallons of the stuff laying around in a shtf senario how much would you use and would it last you before its only good for is starting fires.

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
10% ethanol starts going bad in 30 days.
Gas here in North Florida changes like the stock market. Right now it's $3.19.
Across the line in Georgia there is a fuel company that sells non-ethanol gasoline for about $.50 per gal more and that's what I buy for the chainsaw, brush cutter, post-hole auger, etc. It doesn't melt plastic fuel lines or gum up carburetors like ethanol, lasts longer and is easier on the engines. I also keep 5 gallons on hand for the generator.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I just rotate the gas and save my money with no stabil.

Filled up at $3.06 9/10,then it jumped to $3.35 9/10 a few minnows later.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I would guess the question should be, how much can you haul away if you bug out? A full tank will get most cars/trucks close to 350 miles. If you live on the seaboards, you'll burn most of that just to get where its fairly safe. Not an easy question to answer. I guess when you run out of gas be prepped to wait it out. Almost makes me want to buy a geo metro. Or just stay put with you provisions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Always keep a steady stock, but ROTATE! Gasoline usually goes bad after a month.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
You just have to love the oil companies trick for increasing gasoline prices, pretty simple really: raise prices a lot for a month or two then lower them a little, example spend two months paying $4 a gallon then people will be tickled pink to pay $3.50.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I filled up on Sunday and it was $3.03 in east-central MN.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I let a car I was working on (one of mine) sit for three years. The gas in the tank was 10 ethanol and the car started and ran just fine. The exhaust smelled a bit funny but it didn't hurt the performance enough to notice.

Reactions: wesley762
1 - 11 of 11 Posts