Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is always debate about whether Fish/Bird/Animal antibiotics are safe for human use. I Keep them in my bob and would use them.

From Thomas Labs (makers of Fishmox, Fishflox, bird sulfa).

" Our antibiotics are USP grade and Pharmaceutical pure. They are labeled for fish use only and we can not recommend off label use of the product."

·
Super Moderator
9,809 Posts
There is always debate about whether Fish/Bird/Animal antibiotics are safe for human use. I Keep them in my bob and would use them.

From Thomas Labs (makers of Fishmox, Fishflox, bird sulfa).

" Our antibiotics are USP grade and Pharmaceutical pure. They are labeled for fish use only and we can not recommend off label use of the product."
They have to say that to cover themselves from being sued. All the research I've done they are exactly the same as the stuff you get at the pharmacy. With that said, I am not a pharmacist and/or doctor even though I play one on television.

The two most important things are paying attention to mg/knowing how much to use and knowing what works on what. ie Fishmox = amoxicillin https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/amoxicillin

Reactions: A Watchman

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
They have to say that to cover themselves from being sued. All the research I've done they are exactly the same as the stuff you get at the pharmacy. With that said, I am not a pharmacist and/or doctor even though I play one on television.

The two most important things are paying attention to mg/knowing how much to use and knowing what works on what. ie Fishmox = amoxicillin https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/amoxicillin
Just yesterday I ordered some more fish antibiotics, this time Fishmox Forte & Fish Doxy. I keep a pretty good supply of a lot of the fish meds on hand for a SHTF crisis & never planned on using them to treat myself now. That changed this week when my doctor pissed me off. Two weeks ago I went to him for my annual physical & the waiting room had several folks coughing & sneezing. Sure enough I caught a cold there & it hasn't gone away and now seems to have gone to a sinus infection... something not unusual for me. So I called the office asking for them to call in something as I did not want to go back into the office. They refused without me coming back in. Well F them. I'll take my own damn amoxicillin.

My research tells me to stick with meds made in the US. I only use Thomas Labs. Lots of experts have stated they are exactly the same as the meds sold to humans, just labeled differently. They make all of the meds on the same production lines & don't change formulations or procedures based upon where sold. The most important reason I trust the meds has to do with federal regulations regarding interaction/overdose issues. The pet meds & the human meds look identical and have the exact same numbers on the pills themselves. The government requires a different identification on a pill if the meds change.

This is a good video:

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Doc Bones has no problem with the quality - only the DIY prescribing aspect of using animal grade OTC antibiotics ....

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Doc Bones has no problem with the quality - only the DIY prescribing aspect of using animal grade OTC antibiotics ....
What do you mean by animal grade?

DIY medicating is not to be taken lightly but during a crisis will be better than the alternative... especially if you have some research books such as The Survival Medicine Handbook. In my case now, I have been prescribed Amoxicillin for this same type infection in the past plus my research tells me it is a safe antibiotic to start with. I feel my health would be at more risk by going back to that office.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
What do you mean by animal grade?

DIY medicating is not to be taken lightly but during a crisis will be better than the alternative... especially if you have some research books such as The Survival Medicine Handbook. In my case now, I have been prescribed Amoxicillin for this same type infection in the past plus my research tells me it is a safe antibiotic to start with. I feel my health would be at more risk by going back to that office.

''animal grade'' - WTF do you think this posting is about?????

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
''animal grade'' - WTF do you think this posting is about?????
I think this discussion is that these fish antibiotics, especially from folks like Thomas Labs, are not a separate grade (animal grade) but are exactly the same human grade medication... just in a different box. That is why they are safe... and much cheaper. You have any evidence these antibiotics from Thomas Labs are animal grade & not the exact same medication you get from a doctor?

So once again, what do you mean by animal grade?

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
@Redneck Does the "Survival Medicine Handbook" by Doc Bones contain specific information about fish antibiotics? I really need my hand held here: dosages for body weights and which antibiotics to use for which diseases would be a big help.

I'm not very prepped in this area, and I need to get some antibiotics into the fridge.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
@Redneck Does the "Survival Medicine Handbook" by Doc Bones contain specific information about fish antibiotics? I really need my hand held here: dosages for body weights and which antibiotics to use for which diseases would be a big help.

I'm not very prepped in this area, and I need to get some antibiotics into the fridge.
Yep it talks about the fish antibiotics and goes into detail regarding what they each can treat. I use that and multiple websites for info on dosage... mostly websites. But SHTF, I'll go to my printed library, including this book. Very important to use antibiotics sparingly, especially when used by non professionals. They do no good against viruses & can actually do you harm as they can kill off your good bacteria too. In my case, one has to know the difference between a viral cold & a bacterial sinus infection.

Mine are stored in my prep room, where it is cool, dark & dry. The vast majority of these meds, when stored properly, can last long past their expiration date.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

Just do a google search and search for what kind of dose (of a specific AB, such as amoxicillin) to give a person of a specific weight. Easy to find.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
@Redneck Thanks. My wife has a bit of COPD, which develops into bronchitis every cold and flue season. She is prescribed ZYRTEC (cetirizine), which works every time. I need to prep that, or something like it, for her. I'm going to order that book right now.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
[MENTION=16498]Thanks. My wife has a bit of COPD, which develops into bronchitis every cold and flue season. She is prescribed ZYRTEC (cetirizine), which works every time. I need to prep that, or something like it, for her. I'm going to order that book right now.
You are welcome. Glad to be able to give back to someone who gives so much here.

You learn that multiple antibiotics can treat the same condition, so that makes it difficult. Generally for things like sinus infection & bronchitis, seems you should start with the safe, penicillin based drugs, such as amoxicillin. If they don't work or you have a reaction, then shift to one based on a different family of drugs. Obviously that info is just for SHTF situations when you are on your own. I'm a printer, not a doctor... and I never stay at a Holiday Inn :)

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
1 - 20 of 68 Posts