Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts
Went to karbock here in Houston a short while back..they have some killer ipa's and good wheat beer. Bombshell blonde is great too

:) you are right about using mesquite on beef and not pork. In my opinion mesquite holds up well paired to beef..pork is too delicate and mesquite would muddle that delicate flavor.
You are obviously a man that knows his Q. Leon, Mr Hartman: I really think we need a new category for good and great BBQ recipes... Just sayin..

For chicken I love to brine a whole chicken in limes halves salt cilantro and water for 24hrs. Then break it down and grill that sucker after a good seasoning with garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, light brown sugar and chili powder.
Now you are making me drool all over my keyboard.

We do maple sugar on pork and chicken - maple syrup mixed with plain white sugar. The other thing I want to try, but it is not yet done is vanilla sugar. One of our friends here, Smitty901, got me started making our own vanilla extract from vanilla beans and vodka. But with the extra beans, we scraped them out and mixed it with sugar. Sometime after 7/3 it will be ready to use. I am thinking on either pork or chicken it will be outstanding. I'll let you know.

When it comes to beer I really enjoy a microbrew beer from the Netherlands called hertog jan , and for ale I love maredsous from Belgium..I'm
always on the lookout for new ones so I'll keep an eye out for killer penguin.
I have not had either of those. But I will keep an eye out for them. Thanks!

Went to karbock here in Houston a short while back..they have some killer ipa's and good wheat beer. Bombshell blonde is great too
I have had Bombshell blond and that is damn good. I have a bad weakness for IPAs. There is a brewery out of San Diego that is pretty good with their IPAs, Lagunitas. They are a bit larger brewery than what I usually like. But their IPAs are pretty dang tasty. I have not tried their others though.

I am very curious about that vanilla be sure to tip if it works. Vanilla could work with fish possibly.

I'm going dry for 1 month but on day 31 I'm gonna set up a beer tasting session lol

I'm in the DFW area.
Not a drinker myself, but I'd never turn down good BBQ.
Do you have any additional info you could PM me?
If "OPSEC" is truly one of your goals, then exposing too much might not be in your best interest. I'd understand that too.

I am from Indiana, will you join my prepper group!!!!???? Please!??? I really wanna know what you have! ;-) The purple means sarcasm........At least on other forums i use it does :) is purple the color for sarcasm here too?

I am from Indiana, will you join my prepper group!!!!???? Please!??? I really wanna know what you have! ;-) The purple means sarcasm........At least on other forums i use it does :) is purple the color for sarcasm here too?
Honestly, I didn't notice the purple until you pointed it out.
I've noticed the general use of [/sarc], as in "sarcasm off", following an off the cuff slanted statement.

I have not heard of purple being sarcasm. But it is not a bad idea. Of course, I am not sophisticated enough to employ sarcasm so I just usually use insults instead. But, like I said, it is not a bad idea... :D

I'm in the DFW area.
Not a drinker myself, but I'd never turn down good BBQ.
Do you have any additional info you could PM me?
If "OPSEC" is truly one of your goals, then exposing too much might not be in your best interest. I'd understand that too.
Hey Kauboy I will be in DFW all next week. Give me a heads up on the best BBQ places there.

Hey Kauboy I will be in DFW all next week. Give me a heads up on the best BBQ places there.
I love me some Cousin's BBQ for sure. My favorite is the pulled pork stuffed baked potato. *drools*

My co-workers introduced me to a place up in Euless called North Main BBQ.
That place is all-you-can-eat for $15. Ribs, chopped beef, smoked chicken, sausage, sides, ice cream, and a drink, all you want.
They have their own special rub that is really friggin good.

Whenever I am in DFW, I always go to Randy White's Hall of Fame BBQ one night. (They have the best BBQ sauce I have ever had.) Then I go to the Hard 8 BBQ another night. - The one by the airport is the best. They have a GREAT pit master. I used to like Rudy's BBQ, but I think it has gone downhill the last couple years.

Discussion starter · #33 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the commentary. Some of it was actually worth reading...
Posts similar to my first one are not uncommon. I assume its because there are those that feel it is unnecessary to qualify themselves.
I, for one, feel it is okay to post a thread about a topic and if others are not interested in it, they should move on to one that captures their interest.
Instead, we all must see the drive-by comments from those that have little else to do, or they want to project their status or elite survival prowess. It gets tedious.
If you have a question to clarify any or all of a post, fire away. I'll be happy to answer either on this thread or by PM.
I have no issues with comments that explain the particular personality of a forum such as the one Old SF Guy made; no harm, no foul...

There are many interesting threads to choose from on a forum such as this one... find one and let those that are new to the site have their own conversation.

By the way, what is "pheniox" supposed to mean?

As for BBQ recipes, techniques, I suggest visiting the BBQ Brethren site.

Thanks for all the commentary. Some of it was actually worth reading...
Posts similar to my first one are not uncommon. I assume its because there are those that feel it is unnecessary to qualify themselves.
I, for one, feel it is okay to post a thread about a topic and if others are not interested in it, they should move on to one that captures their interest.
Instead, we all must see the drive-by comments from those that have little else to do, or they want to project their status or elite survival prowess. It gets tedious.
If you have a question to clarify any or all of a post, fire away. I'll be happy to answer either on this thread or by PM.
There are many interesting threads to choose from on a forum such as this one... find one and let those that are new to the site have their own conversation.
I have no issues with comments that explain the particular personality of a forum such as the one Old SF Guy made; no harm, no foul...

By the way, what is "pheniox" supposed to mean?

As for BBQ recipes, techniques, I suggest visiting the BBQ Brethren site.
You received a harsh welcome because, as you stated, many people pop on here to push some idea or product or site, and then we never hear from them again.
There is nothing wrong with promoting something, but it should be done with a bit more finesse.
Generally, folks will drop a thread into the "Introduction" section, and that usually gets the ball rolling in the right direction.
It's just hard to trust someone's credibility when they've made little effort to get to know the group before promoting something.
That's all.

As for phoenix, don't take it personal. He does that a lot. :grin:

Discussion starter · #35 · (Edited)
I'm thick-skinned and generally ignore the yapping from the poodles...
So, it's "Phoenix". Maybe you could get the Admin to offer him a "spell check".

BTW, Kauboy, let me know the next time you are in FW and I'll show you some great BBQ.

Phoenix spells poorly, point made. Your grammar is poor. This is not a contest of wits and English proficiency. If it were you are currently on the losing team.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
... Your grammar is poor. This is not a contest of wits and English proficiency. If it were you are currently on the losing team.
Give an example of my poor grammar and I'll gladly correct it.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Remember, I'm thick-skinned and thanks, I made the correction...

Smokey's BBQ, E. Lancaster Avenue

21 - 40 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.