Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I was in the grocery store with my wife & son. They had a display in the middle of one of the aisles for Emergency Ponchos. They were only $1 each! They were the clear plastic disposable kind and folded up about 1/2" thick by 2" x 4". I thought it was a good idea to throw a few in the car etc. Never know when it's going to rain etc..
I asked my wife if she waned an emergency poncho and she said "What is that?" Well I was in one of my goofy moods & couldn't let such an opportunity pass by so I replied... "It's not a what, it's a who". Emergency Poncho is a Mexican Super-hero! Whenever there is danger Emergency Poncho is there! Along with his trusted sidekick Gomez. Gomez is a little burro. After I continued with this long drawn out description that lasted at least 20 minutes she told me to shut-up. My son & I were cracking up but my wife still wasn't interested.
PONCHO.jpg

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Haha
Yes I do this to my wife all the time, she is very smart (Registered Nurse) but that makes her very interested in things and so when she asks me about a subject I jerk her around on the answer about 20% of the time and see if she catches me.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine came home in tears because she ran over a jackrabbit. I pretended to panic then ran outside to check the tires on her car. She asked what was wrong and I told her it might have been a jackalope and was worried that a horn got one of her sidewalls. Then I had to describe what a jackalope was etc. She said I was full of it. I told her to ask anybody if they were real knowing that if anyone asked anyone if such a stupid question they would jump on the opportunity. She still wasn't buying it until a few days later I showed her an add in Shotgun News for a freshly mounted genuine jackalope. She said "OK, so they are real, but I really thought you were trying to make me look stupid again." I assured her that I would never do that. ;^) I don't know why she doesn't trust me.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When is snipe season? Anyone have a recipe?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
For those of you on the east coat you know that a snipe is a shore bird about the size of a small robin. For the rest of you, well, you can believe what you want or look it up. The birds are too small to be of much nutritional value to anything bigger than a fox or coyote. I was too smart to fall for the introduction to snipe hunting with a bag but I did research the bird and find the facts. On the west coast we have "sand pipers" which are the snipe's bigger cousin.

Reactions: Ripon

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't believe everything you read on Wiki... I've edited a few of those myself.
My favorite was the "Monkey Flower" (Mimulus) I said it was also known as the "Chimp Pansy" it stayed on there for months!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
My search was done long before Wiki or the internet existed. I am ... let's say older than I feel and on some days I feel preety old.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Yep I had to make my wife and her family look it up. They even think I wrote the wiki page.

For those of you on the east coat you know that a snipe is a shore bird about the size of a small robin. For the rest of you, well, you can believe what you want or look it up. The birds are too small to be of much nutritional value to anything bigger than a fox or coyote. I was too smart to fall for the introduction to snipe hunting with a bag but I did research the bird and find the facts. On the west coast we have "sand pipers" which are the snipe's bigger cousin.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I got y'all beat: After being married for some years we went on her first vacation to the States. We were sitting on the porch of my uncles cabin in Panama Cit, FL. It was 0600 in the morning drinking coffee and I was hung over badddddddddd! My wife grabbed by arm and screamed look at the monkeys, look at the monkeys! Now she a country pumpkin Polish woman so needless to say she was excited. I swear the first thought in my mind was where's my shotgun I never shot a monkey before! So I start scanning the tress and low and behold I found my wife’s monkeys. Two little squirrels running on the power lines. I about pissed my pants laughing so hard! I still get a luagh thinking about it today!

Reactions: JPARIZ

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When my wife & I first got together (about a hundred years ago) she had a "thing" against guns. Basically because she had never been exposed to them and didn't understand that they weren't capable of jumping out of the safe by themselves and going on a killing spree. It didn't take much to educate her.
I ended up buying her a .22 rifle identical to one I had. After a million or so hours of teaching her how to safely handle it we ventured out into the desert for some target shooting. We set up some cans on a small rise and she took a few shots. Her sights were way off so she was consistently shooting into the grass in front of the cans. Since the rifle was in her line of sight she couldn't see where the bullets were hitting the grass.
After about three shots she said "I hope this thing came with a warranty because nothing is coming out of it."
I laughed so hard it hurt. After a slight adjustment the cans were bouncing away just like my directions said they would. She then admitted that it was pretty cool. As it turned out she's a really good marksman.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts