Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back Mrs Inor and I got "a really good deal" on two pails of Remington JHP .22LR at Gander Mountain. We took one to the range today and had just a hell of a time getting it to feed in our Ruger 10/22. We tried two different (brand new) magazines with the same result. We have two Browning Buckmark target pistols that are usually pretty finicky about ammunition, but those seemed to work fine with it. Have any of you experienced similar problems with the Remington ammo?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Being a NRA instructor and dealing with 22's a lot. Remington I stay away from as much as I can. Always problems with there 22's, FTF, FTE, and misfires. I try to stay with Winchester, Federal, and CCI.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Have had some problems with Remington 22, Ruger 10/22 and Mariln 60. Had a lot of jams, failure to feed etc. I noticed one would lightly go "bang", the next sounded like a 22mag. I think they may of had some problem with the amount of powder in each shell. Maybe they got wet somehow. Could just be bad ammo or poor quality control. I've switched to Federal and haven't had any problems. Let the nephews shoot up the questionable Remington stuff with their single shots. They are happy and it works fine for them.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Remington 22LR is probably the poorest quality rimfire ammo on the planet. Best suited for use in revolvers and bolt action rifles.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Bout the only 22 LR ammo I can find anymore these days is the Remington promo ammo, thunderbolt etc. I have not had good luck with Remington .22 LR ammo (even before the shortage) so it doesn't surprise me that you'd post about Remington LR ammo that could have been better.
That's been my experience with it.

I cracked open a bulk box of federal 22LR that I'd bought several years ago. Very nice! running clean bright shiny 22 LRs through my fingers brought back fond memories of better days. Here's to hoping the ammo shortage gets over soon!

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Inor,
I have found .22lr Remington Golden Bullet to be the dirtiest and least reliable of the .22lr at least in a semi auto. I do not own a 10/22 (shame on me).
However, I try to use the Remington Golden in my single shot Winchester 67A (Sweet OLD Gun) or Mossberg Bolt action. Ironically Remington Gold will cycle pretty well through Mrs. Slippy's Ruger SR22 pistol but not worth a crap in our Buckmark. I have decided that only CCI rounds will be fed into the Buckmark.
Most Federal loads are pretty reliable but if given the choice, its CCI for me.
Watching the Gophers play, good luck if you are so inclined to cheer for them!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Mark this thread, it is not often we seem to all agree on something.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I guess I'll have to be the whipping boy here. We use the Rem Sub Sonics in both a Rem 597 semi auto rifle and a M&P22 pistol without any issues other than the normal FTE or FTF that all rimfire ammo is prone to. FTF's are usually remedied with another primer strike. I do have some older Remington bulk ammo, Golden Bullet, that doesn't run very well in any of our semi autos, but as it was given to me and I don't know how old it was, I can't blame it on the ammo per se. The box looks like it may be 5 or more years old.

I normally run Win. M22 or CCI Tactical thru my .22 conversion in my AR-15 and never have any problems. I haven't tried any other .22 loads in it, so I really can't say whether the Remington stuff works there or not.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
All Remington ammo is superior and flawless. It literally is the best bang for the buck. No problems at all.

Unless you are talking about their dirty unreliable 22's. I hate Rem-22's!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I have friends that use the Remington Thunderbolt ammo in their 10/22 for smallbore silhouette because it is the most accurate they can find for their gun. I use Remington green box myself because it is more consistently accurate than any other ammo that I have tried. The Winchester wildcat shoots groups twice the size of the Remington in my bolt action.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
JHP's in general have never fed reliably in my circa 1976 10/22 other than CCI stingers(pretty hard to find now). Rem.thunderbolts with the flat nose never fed well either.the nose seems to just barely hang up on the very bottom of the barrel and,I have used several different mags,ruger 10 rounders ,a newer bx25, and some older hotlips mags.I have a friend that had the same prob also and, he is going the aftermarket barrel route soon.I am just going to use reg .22 lr rn and am not going to try to screw with or replace the barrel myself.I have some rem golden bullet .22's that seem to look a lot like a non jhp (round nose) and hope these will function.going to test them in spring.I hope its not as bad as some say.but, if it works,it works, .22lr is the dirtiest stuff I have ever seen anyway.1000 rounds and the rifle just quits.then a little cleaning of the boltface and extractor with an old toothbrush and she's ready for another thou.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
A while back Mrs Inor and I got "a really good deal" on two pails of Remington JHP .22LR at Gander Mountain. We took one to the range today and had just a hell of a time getting it to feed in our Ruger 10/22. We tried two different (brand new) magazines with the same result. We have two Browning Buckmark target pistols that are usually pretty finicky about ammunition, but those seemed to work fine with it. Have any of you experienced similar problems with the Remington ammo?
I'm just throwing this out here, but IMO when having feeding problems with the 10-22 you don't have proper lubrication behind the bolt.

I use 10-30 synthetic motor oil and never have any problems.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm just throwing this out here, but IMO when having feeding problems with the 10-22 you don't have proper lubrication behind the bolt.

I use 10-30 synthetic motor oil and never have any problems.
That's a thought. I cleaned it today using a new cleaner/lubricant that I have never used before called CLP. It certainly does clean the fouling easier than Hoppe's. We'll see how well it lubricates the next time I take it out...

Also, I do have a couple thousand rounds of CCI. As much as I hate to use that because I do not know if I will be able to replace it in the near future, I think I will just have to resort to using it for the Ruger.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
That's a thought. I cleaned it today using a new cleaner/lubricant that I have never used before called CLP. It certainly does clean the fouling easier than Hoppe's. We'll see how well it lubricates the next time I take it out...

Also, I do have a couple thousand rounds of CCI. As much as I hate to use that because I do not know if I will be able to replace it in the near future, I think I will just have to resort to using it for the Ruger.
Several companies make CLP. It stands for Cleaner Lubricant Protector. The one I use is M-Pro 7.

Basically if you remember back in the 80's when more cars were fuel injected, they found out that the gas was causing a build up in the injectors. To help they added some detergent to break up the deposits before they form. Same philosophy in the CLP. Add some detergents to a lubricant and then add some minerals that allow it to cling and stick (Molybdenum? Zinc?) and wah-lah, you have CLP.

The nice part is that it works to clean your gun little by little as you shoot so you don't end up with as much crud. It's how you have these guys going 10,000 rounds on an AR between cleaning cycles. When I'm dons shooting, before I pack it in, I drop a squirt of M-Pro7 down the barrel and fire one last shot. The action still needs to be cleaned when I get home but the bore barely needs to have a patch run though it.

MPro7 - M-Pro7 Home Page
M-Pro7 Gun Oil LPX - MPro7

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.