Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Grandmother used to make this alll the time it is very simple, and I think it would be great for survival situations or backpacking..

Fry Bread

Use aroun 4 cups of flour, 2 TBSP of Baking Soda, one tsp of salt, 1/2 cup of shorting, and around a cup of warm water.
Mix the dry ingrediants together and then mix in the shorting and the water. Only add enough water to bring it together. Seperate the dough into the size balls you want, then rest them for a few minutes (10 or so). Next, pat them out like pancakes and fry in a little hot oil till browned on both sides..

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
It's been a while, . . . but my wife still does this occasionally, . . .

Oh, . . . and if you just happen to have a half pint of strawberry-rhubarb jam to dress it with, . . . well.................

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ofcourse when I was young I put grape jelly on them..lol I also figure this would be easy to make from your food storage. Does anyone else keep flour in #10 cans? You can get this relitively cheap from several suppliers.. My Dad just got some of the pilot crackers in #10 cans..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend ordered some too, but has not opened any yet.. I have a grinder so maybe berries are the way to go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder if the flour would last longer if placed in food saver type vacume sealed bags, then placed in a large sealed tupperware tub?
Also, is it baking soda or baking powder?
Thank you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wonder if the flour would last longer if placed in food saver type vacume sealed bags, then placed in a large sealed tupperware tub?
Also, is it baking soda or baking powder?
Thank you.
Should be baking powder...I make these also, but I use buttermilk, and sprinkle sugar/cinnamon on them when done.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I've made some on occasion when I didn't keep a close enough eye on my morning gravy, lol!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts