Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Anyone have an opinion on how frequently one should test fire ammunition stores to verify stability and reliability? I am thinking of a situation where you have your BOB sitting on the shelf for years and then when you go to pull it out, your ammo wont fire because it has degraded over time.

Any ideas or experience with this?

Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I use military surplus myself and quality primer sealed pistol rounds for the sidearm. I try to cycle it regularly if I can, shooting it and loading new. I've shot rounds 20 years old myself and they still fired just fine. No reason to not cycle them if you can though.

·
Banned
148 Posts
I know you down under folks have extreme weather. But I would not worry about your ammo unless it is exposed to water, high temperatures or oil. I’m shooting stuff I reloaded 30 years ago.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I think if the ammo is stored in the bob and the bob is inside on a shelf you shouldn't have any problems. My bob rides around with me quite often and the ammo is subjected to varying tempratures throughout the year, from below zero to above a hundred. I change it out every so often when I think about it, and I've never had issue where I changed my ammo out because it was bad.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I use military surplus myself and quality primer sealed pistol rounds for the sidearm. I try to cycle it regularly if I can, shooting it and loading new. I've shot rounds 20 years old myself and they still fired just fine. No reason to not cycle them if you can though.
Agree, modern ammo is kept away from oils and dry will last a long time. Nothing wrong with test firing a round or two from a batch every 5-10 years.
The Military does this withal stored rounds of any kind they test fire some to test the self life.
I have some 30.06 boxed up in 1950 that fire like they were made last week.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
71 Posts
I cycle through my ammo by practicing at the range. I replace as needed. Luckily for me, my handgun and shotgun will both shoot whatever ammo I load in it. Cheap stuff, expensive stuff, doesn't matter, it'll all go bang.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
My mother moved back from being in Florida a while back. She has rented her old farm house out for years. When she came back she was cleaning out an old cubbard that had her stuff stored their. It is amaizing after several renters any thing would be left in tact. Their was a small quart sized plastic container with some 357 30-30 and 30-06 rounds from 1978. She gave them to me. Some had a little green build up on them. I scrubbed them off on my jeans and every single one fired off fine. About 20 rounds of mixed caliber. If kept dry and clean I bet 50 years would be reasonable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts