Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walked past the freezer tonight and noticed the temp display was all wonky. I opened the door and sure enough the 50 or so pounds of meat in there had thawed. Ir was still cold, so we moved it to the other freezer. I Think I'll be OK. It looks like the control board went out, proably when we were having power glitches due to storms. I Ordered an new one for $90

So I started looking for a Freezer Alarm/Thermometer to supplement the one on the freezer, but all the ones I found have a significant number of bad reviews.

Any good recommendations on a Freezer Alarm that I can depend on ?

·
Super Moderator
3,665 Posts
I have one made by IAP Sales I got it on Amazon for $14.85. I have it on 3 freezers and they work. Someone didn't close one and it started beeping.

Reactions: Kauboy

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Might look into whole house surge protection also.
About 70.00 at a home improvement store and can be installed pretty easy
If your area is prone to power dips and spikes it can save your electronic devices from early failures.
BoF

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
A power-outage alarm is another investment to look in to.

Might look into whole house surge protection also.
About 70.00 at a home improvement store and can be installed pretty easy
If your area is prone to power dips and spikes it can save your electronic devices from early failures.
BoF
Bottom-of-the-barrel SPDs are very close to being single-use items. They take a single large hit or two or three smaller surges, then need to be replaced. Ergo, they're a huge maintenance issue. You need to constantly monitor them.

Given surges can happen any time, so you can't assume you only need to check it after a storm. I never recommend low-end SPDs to anyone.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Bottom-of-the-barrel SPDs are very close to being single-use items. They take a single large hit or two or three smaller surges, then need to be replaced.
I never recommend low-end SPDs to anyone.
Thanks for your info. I personally do not have whole house protection.
I am only aware of its existence. As far as grades and quality of the device, I don’t have a clue.
I’m just offering a option not making a recommendation
BoF

·
Super Moderator
9,166 Posts
I have an alarm that monitors 3 devices. I can set the temp for the alarm.For me, the big problem is the beeping is so high pitched, I can't hear it, but wife can!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts