Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping for freeze dried foods and all the name brands sell their products as "servings of food" but they do not tell you how many calories are in a serving.

For example, if you were buy the "7 Day Ultimate Emergency Meal Kit" from WISE Foods for $124.99, you would expect to get 7 days of food at a cost of $17.86 per day. When you add up the total calories in the kit there are only 4,640. That means if you eat 2000 calories per day you'll run out of food in less than 3 days for an actual cost of 54.34 per day. If you make the kit last 7 days you can only eat 662 calories per day!

This is something I would want to know before an emergency strikes and I find out I only have enough food a fraction of the time that was advertised. This type of misleading advertising puts me and my family at risk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Believe me, if I had the courage to hunt, kill chickens or the ability to grow anything I would! I did find a site that shows calories (foodpreppers.com) and I bought a "true" 30 day (2000 cal/day) supply of food. After an instant rebate and free shipping the cost will be $10.73 per day.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the information! I live in a military town and cases of MRE's are easy to come by for $50 per case (12 meals), if you look hard enough you can get them for less. They are bulky, but I do have a couple cases on hand just in case. Each meals calorie count varies, but they seem to be around 1,000-1,300 each.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the information! I live in a military town and cases of MRE's are easy to come by for $50 per case (12 meals), if you look hard enough you can get them for less. They are bulky, but I do have a couple cases on hand just in case. Each meals calorie count varies, but they seem to be around 1,000-1,300 each.
So MRE are at that rate 4.17 per meal while I paid 1.87 per meal. Yep, that is why MRE's aren't on my to buy list besides the fact they don't taste as good and none are as good as home cooking but still.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts