Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link to a page with free download copies of US Army Field Manuals, some other nice free downloadable stuff like Where there is No Doctor on there as well. Also info on what to do if a nuclear accident or attack is imminent.

·
Registered
245 Posts
WOW, what an incredibly, beautifully, wonderfully, fantastically helpful link. I'm buying flash drives tomorrow to collect vital instructions for short and long term survival. What a cool thread. Thanks a lot man!

PS. Hesperian is a nonprofit and relies on donations folks. What a wealth of knowledge. If you use the link page he gave you can get all sorts of medical information. Remember what this will be WORTH to you when SHTF. Maybe skip the next silver trip?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for a great link!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm going to add in my $.02 and will hopefully make a good point. I see lots of threads with links to great books, manuals, instructions, etc. And... lot's of responses saying thanks and that they are going to download them. But... having a book and "owning" the knowledge within are two entirely different things. I hope the plan is not to wait until SHTF and then you pull out your tablet and pdf survival manual and try to figure out how to live. If so... you'll be lucky to survive the week. Having a book... or even reading a book is not the same as "owning" the knowledge in the book. You have to practice it... again and again... so it becomes a part of you. And... I'm hoping that over the next 6 months to see threads like "So I tried out this technique from Book X... and here's what I learned." But... I'm not crossing me fingers.

Now... don't get me wrong. Having a stash of books on other subjects for use after SHTF is an awesome idea. I'm doing that myself. Personally... I don't plan on trying to become an expert since I have somewhere around 3000 ebooks on subjects from building dams and water turbines to building boats to building a stator for a turbine. Sure... those will come in handy after... when I have secured a future for my family and myself. But.... it's the immediate threat books that we need to start to "own" now. Books on building fires with wet wood in the middle of a snow storm are great reads.... but only experience trying it will save your life if and when the situation occurs. I'm sure every person on this forum has seen a fire bow and understands the basics on how to use it. But... I'd be willing to bet that less than 5% have actually tried it and succeeded more that once. And... that was probably in a different climate, while camping in the summer.... with matches or a lighter for backup. How many have done it where they live now... with scraps they find lying around, after a rainstorm or in the winter? How many have put themselves to the test and said: "If I don't get a fire started... I don't eat cooked meat tonight"? Yes... something like a fire bow is a little thing... and it's probably in the survival ebook that everyone has on a jump drive in their BOB... but it's the little things that will get you killed. Wow... I said $.02, that was more like $.15. Sorry about my rambling... but for those reading between the lines... you can tell this is something I'm rather passionate about.

Reactions: Wryter

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to add in my $.02 and will hopefully make a good point. I see lots of threads with links to great books, manuals, instructions, etc. And... lot's of responses saying thanks and that they are going to download them. But... having a book and "owning" the knowledge within are two entirely different things. I hope the plan is not to wait until SHTF and then you pull out your tablet and pdf survival manual and try to figure out how to live. If so... you'll be lucky to survive the week. Having a book... or even reading a book is not the same as "owning" the knowledge in the book. You have to practice it... again and again... so it becomes a part of you. And... I'm hoping that over the next 6 months to see threads like "So I tried out this technique from Book X... and here's what I learned." But... I'm not crossing me fingers.

Now... don't get me wrong. Having a stash of books on other subjects for use after SHTF is an awesome idea. I'm doing that myself. Personally... I don't plan on trying to become an expert since I have somewhere around 3000 ebooks on subjects from building dams and water turbines to building boats to building a stator for a turbine. Sure... those will come in handy after... when I have secured a future for my family and myself. But.... it's the immediate threat books that we need to start to "own" now. Books on building fires with wet wood in the middle of a snow storm are great reads.... but only experience trying it will save your life if and when the situation occurs. I'm sure every person on this forum has seen a fire bow and understands the basics on how to use it. But... I'd be willing to bet that less than 5% have actually tried it and succeeded more that once. And... that was probably in a different climate, while camping in the summer.... with matches or a lighter for backup. How many have done it where they live now... with scraps they find lying around, after a rainstorm or in the winter? How many have put themselves to the test and said: "If I don't get a fire started... I don't eat cooked meat tonight"? Yes... something like a fire bow is a little thing... and it's probably in the survival ebook that everyone has on a jump drive in their BOB... but it's the little things that will get you killed. Wow... I said $.02, that was more like $.15. Sorry about my rambling... but for those reading between the lines... you can tell this is something I'm rather passionate about.
I couldn't agree more with that you are saying. A person could read a survival book and "retain" the information but they could have no idea of how to implement it in a real world situation. I am in no way saying that this is the case with everyone but it does happen. Like you said, it is very important to practice what you read and make sure you are able to perform the tasks like they are a part of your own being. Some of the things that you can read or learn in true survival books or in survival classes can be the difference between life and death and if you don't know how to perform the tasks for lack of a better term you could be screwed.

Also kind of going off of what you said but in a different outlook, camping in the summer and winter are two completely different things. I have taken several survival tests before but two that will always stand out in my mind were my summer and winter survival tests. For the summer test I was allowed a small amount of water, food, and some tools such a hand pump water filter, knife, space blanket, and some other simple items such as band aids and the like but no man made fire starters or anything of that nature. I had the same tools for both the summer and winter tests and the objective was the same - survive 3 days and 2 nights and build a stable and weather resistant shelter. The winter situation was much much different. The shelter was made of igloo fashion so a fire was out of question so nights were long and cold but it really put into perspective what real survival situations will be like.

Now that I have rambled on as well, I completely agree with your points! Along with reading people also have to commit and practice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Outstanding site. Thank you for the post. To those who download these manuals remember that an unread book is like an unused tool. Both have the potential to help you out IF you take the action required to use them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts