Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For most of this year I along with my family (3 grown sons and 1 grown daughter) and my best friend have been looking for the idea BOL and one that we can actually afford. Now it looks like we have found a place that ticks off most of our points on our list. We have found 14 acres several counties and 54 miles away tucked up in the Ozarks. This is barren land like 6 miles down a gravel county road with zero utilities. However, it fronts the Mulberry River and has 2 all season springs on it. We have sent water samples off to be tested and hope that these springs have consumable water. Most of the ground is high and has several large cliff and rock outcropping that we can build around. The starting price was $38K but just a visit and a walk around has the owner down to $32K and we have yet to make an offer. Of course this price will be spread between 6 families so it won't be quite so out of reach. I am headed there again now and will update some later tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know you don't know me but good luck and have a great hike through looking at what nature has to offer. ( look for places to set up some land mines will ya ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the drive was not too bad and the distance meets my bug out time requirement. We drove it easily in 1 hour and 37 mins. since it is 4 lane highway 98% of the trip.

Some concerns are: (1) Pretty rocky ground as far as gardening goes. (2) Could only find one of the two springs and it is right at the river edge but seems to be running good and clean with a decent flow rate. We did not have the owner with us this time to help us find the other spring and we won't hear back from our water samples until next week. (3) Judging by the debris I estimate that the river gets pretty high in the spring but there is plenty of high ground to build on. (4) There are no real roads just a couple of trails that we could find.

We took some pictures but we were there close to dusk and they really do not show anything that is worth seeing. We should know more in the next few weeks since we are having liens checked and waiting on the survey. I foresee a lot of work but this might be just the spot we have been searching for.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
This is a great post, I myself am in the same boat going about it nearly the same way. We should start a thread on "BOL Expeditionary" because I already have several videos on youtube with me and my pals going out in search of favorable locations and homesteading sites. I have been all over GA doing this and it makes for some great video content as well as intelligence. I will be taking my bug out vehicle to many more until I find a few that are worth taking. We bought a cabin on Lake Hartwell we rent out for extra income now that I'm laid up with broken legs, it's been taking care of my bills thank god. Next I want a good 6 acre plot with home to call a homestead and maybe a wooded hunting plot bordering a national forest. The last one I went to see was pretty damn nice considering it was powered locally by a hydro dam that had some great rates. Area was breathtaking. Finding them all together is the real trick.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..We should start a thread on "BOL Expeditionary" because I already have several videos on youtube with me and my pals going out in search of favorable locations and homesteading sites..
Go!!! Start the thread and put your vids in it..:)
Personally a major priority for me would be that my BOL would have to be near a river for water, fishing and emptying slops. (A big lake would be second choice)
If there was no water nearby I simply wouldn't settle there no matter how good the location was in other respects. Water is LIFE..:)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I ask a stupid question?- if there's a river, why do you need springs?
Actually that was my first question. Here is the short answer...the Mulberry River in Arkansas is so high in minerals (mainly Zinc) and also contaminates due to local septic systems that you could not drink it without a considerable amount of purifying. However, it would be a great resource for irrigation and gray water. Just not good for drinking.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..the Mulberry River in Arkansas is so high in minerals (mainly Zinc) and also contaminates due to local septic systems that you could not drink it without a considerable amount of purifying..
How did you find out it's undrinkable, does it look and taste funny?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did you find out it's undrinkable, does it look and taste funny?
The Mulberry is a popular canoe and kayak river in this part of the Ozarks. This part is the lower end and it actually has a green tint to it due to the high Zinc content. It is easy to find water quality info' on the Mulberry with the Arkansas State Soil & Water Department.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts