Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..I was born and raised in Wales and possession got passed around a bit way back when..
Yes the main Welsh weapons were an array of place-names that they hurled at invaders with devastating effect, e.g.: Felin-gwm-uchaf, Y Gelli Gandryll, Bach-y-gwreiddyn, Aberdaugleddyf, Garndolbenmaen, Waunarlwydd, Pantyffynnon etc, plus of course their doomdsay weapon- Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm hoping to bug in for as long as I can. I have a bunch of fruit trees, and a small garden that is expanding now that I tore out some dead/overgrown yuccas. I plan on canning as soon as I am producing enough fruits and vegetables. I just started prepping, so this will take a while. I have NO budget, as in I have NO money. Everything is bartered, worked for, and saved for. I will save a few dollars when I can, and buy a fruit tree :mrgreen:

I have a few plastic barrels that are food grade. 2 are 55 gallons, and one is 33 gallons appx. I will be collecting rain water for watering the garden and fruit trees in the summer, and for washing clothes, and taking whore baths. For drinking water I will be stockpiling cases, but I have cactus I heard you can filter water with.

I am just about to build a chicken coop and have 3 laying hens and one rooster. That will be for eggs, and occasionally meat. We do have a squirrel problem here, and I have a live trap I use to trap them. If needed, I can trap and eat squirrels. If I had a bigger piece of property, I would have a cow, and a pig, but I'm on about 1/3 acre.

As far as cooking, I have a gas grill with a full tank, and a fire pit and a charcoal grille. I have a few dead orange trees I need to cut down and chop for firewood. When the pecan trees get huge, I will be trimming them. That would be another small source of wood to cook with. I plan on hopefully getting a wood burning stove for both cooking AND heat. I am in Southern California, so it doesn't get too too cold.

I live on a dead end dirt road. from my window, I can see 3 sides of attack. There are spots on my property that I can hide and not be seen, except from the back. I tore out privacy for food. But when the food grows, privacy will be back. I am WELL armed ;-) but have a safe hiding spot to hide in if people overpower me, which I'm sure will happen at least once. But rest assured, they won't be staying. There will be no food stores in this house. Most they will find is a few cases of water, and maybe some fruit. The rest will be hidden so that if they rummage and only find what I want them to find, they will hopefully think they got it all, and leave.....

And if I have to bug out, there are dirt roads that lead for MILES that I could get to my BOL undetected..

My biggest problem is that I'm kind of in a city. Not really the center, but the outskirts...Kind of changes the whole scenario. I tried selling the house to move to somewhere where I would be on 500 acres, but the house hasn't sold, and no offers....I guess I'm stuck here, so I'll make the best of it :cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I will be bugging in because there is no place else to go lol.
Lets see...
I live and work in a mining town in Northern Canada. I have one home in town where I stay two weeks out of the month and a ranch further North where I spent the other two weeks.

I will leave the work house out of it for now. Only big issue here is if the SHTF while im at work it might be difficult to get to the other house.
The ranch is 40 minutes to an hour from the nearest sign of civilization by car at top speed on the sealed road. The next town is hours away.
After that drive Theres a drive about half as long down a gravel road then the maintained road runs out and it becomes a seasonal trail. Thats my place, far from anything including help. Nearest neighbor is a couple kilometers/miles away. There is only one road in or out and were at a dead end. From our back door its nothing but wilderness (Northern rocky mountains) for hundreds of kilometers/miles.
The nearest law enforcement, ambulance and fire department dont come out as far as we are.

For water we are good... lots of local ground water, dugouts and freshwater springs.
The only issue I can see here is water purification long term.

Food is another thing im not too worried about. Lots of wild game and well... pretty much any darn thing is edible. Give me some tree bark and a pinch of salt and ill make a meal. Give me a vole squirrel or even a rat and ill make a meal fit for a king.
The house wont stop a bullet or really keep anyone out... but I have my ways.
Dogs, chickens, horses... the animals all have a use but I would like to get some cattle or something.
The climate is COLD we can get winter 10 months of the year here and it gets too minus 40 and lower here in the winter.
That makes heat a major issue and growing food or moving out in the winter is difficult. We are getting used to using wood for heat and im researching cold climate gardening.
Te next MAJOR issue is although its my place my folks live there and they are getting on in years. I would like to say they are aging well... but its hard to say. Medical issues are getting out of control and my mother is becoming quite forgetful. Still they both act and think they are 50 years younger. My dad is somehow more active and in better shape than I am and my mother manages to keep the animals fed while im away working... but I worry.

The pros:
Isolated and well set to survive independantly.

The cons:
Isolated, cold harsh climate, no protection from two legged varmint that do manage to make it that far.

I dont really know what else I can do... I dont stock food or water just yet because I can find enough in the wild.
All I do is train myself and learn as many skills as I can.

The biggest issue for my whole family is health. My folks... (shakes head)
Myself... Im working on it but theres a few health issues piling up for me as well and the doctors here are useless as tits on a bull.
I seem to get worse all the time and the doctors seem to be away on vacation 95% of the time.
Im currently waiting for my family DR and the surgeon that operated on my hands to get back from their month long vacations.
It seems like my family DR takes every other month off. But theres only two DR's this far North and neither one is of use.

So thats where I am for bug in.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..The biggest issue for my whole family is health...
At least nowadays we can look up all our ailments on the internet and end up knowing more about them than the quacks, and we can then keep tabs on them to make sure they're giving us the right treatment!
My local practice is run by two young male doctors and they're both hopeless, I have to watch them like a hawk..:)

·
Registered
237 Posts
At least nowadays we can look up all our ailments on the internet and end up knowing more about them than the quacks, and we can then keep tabs on them to make sure they're giving us the right treatment!
My local practice is run by two young male doctors and they're both hopeless, I have to watch them like a hawk..:)
Lol thats what its like here. I cant get anywhere with the docs so I look it up online then ask the docs if it could be 'this'.
The moment I mention the internet they get all bent out of shape.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.