Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love Mosin Nagant rifles and it's many variants. They're tough, and mostly because they are cheap to buy and feed, fall in between the .308 and 30-06 performance wise and don't make me feel bad about hacking on them. Many have tools to cool for school; lots of nice, ultra modern weapons out there. My wallet says "to cool for you." so I must move on to what I can afford that I know will work.

Popularity of the Mosin is gaining traction. Manufacturers are now making some really cool accessories and conversions for them. Timney Triggers, stocks, optics, bent bolts, on and on. Today I posted on a thread where someone had posted a picture of a Mosin that had been converted into a Short Barreled Rifle. I said I wanted one, tossed up a couple of YouTube videos I had seen in the past...

And then, there it was. In all of it's heavenly glory as though God himself had descended from the stars. A fully adjustable stock with a 10 round detachable magazine...for a Mosin. :eek: Say it isn't so. But yes. Yes it was true. And when I saw this, I said it was good.

So for all you Mosin Haters out there...we're comin. And I too, will be one of the cool kids! :grin:

This is what mine looks like when it goes off. I built 'Fugly's Brother'.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've got an 91/30, and an M44. LOVE EM BOTH! For being as long as a telephone pole, the 91/30 is balanced PERFECTLY, and a pleasure to carry through the woods.

Between the length of the 91/30 and the length of it's bayonet, I believe you could shiv somebody on the other side of a river if you had to! :D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
That Archangel video has been out for awhile, along with one from another guy who built a 20 rd detachable mag that was going to go to market. As near I can tell, the one's in the videos are the only ones in existence.

·
Administrator
15,006 Posts
My hobby is the study of military history, especially WWII.
My second hobby is gun accumulation ("collecting" suggests rarity or high price).
These two interests come together in the military firearms section of my accumulation, which is heavy on the WWII side. So I have Mosin Nagants, a 1943 91/30 and a 1948 M44. Both left as-is.
As far as bolt actions, I rate them below my Mauser 98's but above my US Model 1903A3 for accuracy and "fondle factor."
I am on some military surplus weapon forums where guys have not just two or three Mosins, but a dozen or more. All different variations.
So far I have ben able to hold the line at the 91/30 and M44. But I think I really need an M38. And a Finnish M39. And perhaps a Dragoon. And maybe a Tula hex receiver. And a 1917 Remington. And............................
Well, you can see my problem.:mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That Archangel video has been out for awhile, along with one from another guy who built a 20 rd detachable mag that was going to go to market. As near I can tell, the one's in the videos are the only ones in existence.
Yes, there was a guy who was working on a patent for the higher capacity magazine for a stock Mosin, using the existing hinge/magazine set up (kind of like converting an SKS). I even subscribed to his webpage but stopped receiving any sort of communications. I could only assume that his magnificent idea was a bust, either to engineering or finances (or both). Though I'm sure even letting the cat of the bag just for info purposes was a fatal mistake for his idea. Especially if you're a well funded manufacturer with your own engineers and attorneys. I can imagine a "You, draw this up real quick. You, start the paperwork for the patent." kind of scenario.

I just checked YT and see a whole lot of product there that wasn't 3 years ago. Note to self; Don't advertise your ideas on YT until you're ready for production and/or have your intellectual property protected. The "Rifle Mods" magazine looks very promising. We'll see if they get going or not. Big difference between prototypes and final production.

Archangel has started manufacturing the "pre-orders" and shipping them in the order received. It appears though that the 10 round magazines are a go and are for sale in the mid $20 range. I'm sure with it's popularity, they will continue a full push on getting these made and would expect to see some available to the rest of us in 6 months or so. I hope.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I owned a 91/30 for a while, I ended up selling it simply because it was a bit on the large side for me. A little too difficult to aim steady standing up for me, because of the overall length and somewhat the weight. But I would like to get another one sometime, since they are really fairly priced. My cousin owns a Karabiner 98k, don't know an awful lot about them, but I'm pretty excited to shoot it sometime!

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I owned a 91/30 for a while, I ended up selling it simply because it was a bit on the large side for me. A little too difficult to aim steady standing up for me, because of the overall length and somewhat the weight. But I would like to get another one sometime, since they are really fairly priced. My cousin owns a Karabiner 98k, don't know an awful lot about them, but I'm pretty excited to shoot it sometime!
ATI makes a sporter stock, in fact, they have a whole kit you can buy. Really lightens up the gun. Trim 8 or 10 inches off the barrel and you would be surprised at what you wind up with. Completely different animal that handles nicely. I would suggest cruising YouTube and see what folks are doing to them. There is some amazing stuff out there.

I trimmed mine down to 16.5 inches (shoots great, doesn't care what weight the bullet is), cut the stock down a little, mounted a scout scope, even an AK-47 Bayonet, painted it. BAM, whole new gun. It's loud. It shoots an obnoxious flame with surplus ammo (see above picture) and attracts a lot of attention at the range. People hate it at first. When I'm done, they want one.

Don't give up on them yet.

Reactions: AvengersAssembled

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
They are plentiful and still relatively cheap. I am amazed how many Mosin Nagant purists are out there who decry any update to these things. They consider them historic museum pieces to be venerated and left exactly as they are. These rifles are, and always will be as common as rice at a wedding. The only reason I'm not rushing out to scoop up an M44 is that the ammo is drying up and soon, we will only be able to buy new production ammunition. If I am paying $28.00 for a box of ammo for a combat rifle it will be semi automatic. I haven't ruled out buying a couple of 440 round tins of surplus and an M44, but for the same $450.00 I can buy two thousand rounds of new production Golden Tiger 7.62x39 for the shelves.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Most any gun shows will net you a good Mosin for a hundred bucks +/- $20. Their a blast to shoot! Will penetrate walls nicely at range, and I have yet to see anyone who's eyes didn't get big when they saw an M44 fired the first time. ;) It's a good "shock and awe" weapon. ESPECIALLY at night!

Plus, Whats for dinner? VENISON! Great heavy brush deer rifles imo.
View attachment 2498

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yep, I payed $110 for mine at a gun show in 2011. I'll definitely pick one up some other time. And I would get a different stock, and see about shortening the barrel. Just being a smaller person, I prefer shorter and lighter guns to it. But I know that you can do so many different modifications, I'll be doing that for sure!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Mosin Nagants IMO are good close to mid-range weapons. ammo is cheap for them and they have great knock down power that will bring down anything that needs bringing down. Me, I wouldn't put a bunch of money into changing it, but would leave it as is. There are other choices out there that I would use my money on, if I wanted something else, but hey, that is just me. I'm not claiming my opinion is the correct one, it is just how I feel about it.
EDIT
While I stated I wouldn't put a bunch of money into my Mosin, I did do the trigger job posted earlier, and also some bevel work on the bolt face as shown on this video. Also, I polished my bolt with jeweler's rouge, all this made my Mosin-Nagant work 90% better IMO.

·
Administrator
15,006 Posts
They are plentiful and still relatively cheap. I am amazed how many Mosin Nagant purists are out there who decry any update to these things. They consider them historic museum pieces to be venerated and left exactly as they are. These rifles are, and always will be as common as rice at a wedding.
You know, some people thought that about Springfield 1903's, unmolested Mauser K98k's, and US Model 1917's too.
Priced any of those lately?

Reactions: Nathan Jefferson

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really could care less about the collectability or potential value of the MN, I own a few M44 (actually, Chinese T53's). I have romoved the bayonet and sight assemblies (~.82 pounds of steel) from mine and installed long relief scopes on them. Each of mine has been shot-out to 600 yards with a 4 inch group... not too bad for any rifle, especially a carbine.

These rifles are very 'quirky', but that quirk is not just a rifle issue. One has to understand the ballistics of a a given round and stick to it which is difficult because the majority of rounds, like 99% of them, are surplus training rounds sold as they are found around the world. The second part of the quirk is the firing... Anyone who has fired a MN without a shoulder pad or butt guard KNOWS what it feels like the first time. When you are on the range (hell 5 days later), after the first shot you WILL flinch and that throws the shot. It takes many rounds and months of firing everyday to not have this reaction the the MN recoil.

Once you get used to the rifle, your other rifle shots will suffer initially... it is just a fact. But, once you are used to it, get it sighted, and get it down round after round you will understand the lob, rise, drift, and whatever else your MN does on a given shot range.

My biggest problem with this weapon is going to be reloading or raw supply in a pinch. Now, if you are going to use it as a primary distance/power weapon, just make sure you have thousands of rounds stocked because you will most likely not be able to get a replenishment when the SHTF. Use your rounds responsibly.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have a Mosin Nagant and like it. You can buy one for less then what you would pay for a inexpensive .22. As for what they cost now, all I can say is that 30 years ago I paid $100.00 for a 1903-A3 in excellent condition. Check out what they are selling for now. The same for SKSs. See what they cost 10 years ago and what they cost now. I am not saying that if TSHTF I would immediately grab the Mosin instead of my AR, but it's a good gun to have, and if you are on a real tight budget, a reliable centerfire rifle to have.
You will see Mosin prices triple with a ban on importation of surplus guns. You'll also see a rise in the rest of the surplus market in this case. If you're going to buy a Mosin, do it now before the prices sky rocket. Once those prices increase to the point where you could buy a quality used bolt gun or one of the entry level new rifles for almost the same money the Mosin becomes much less of a bargain. Buying an American made rifle in a common chambering may be the better way to go once those price increases hit.

-Infidel

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I am this close to ordering one from Aim industries right now. $129. with an Extra $20 to pick the best of five.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts