Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with this idea? Is it ok the vacuum seal small amounts of food stores in my Foodsaver and then put those bags into a mylar bag with oxygen absorbers for long term storage?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have heard of some doing this. I don't see the need for the food saver bag first? What is your reasoning of why food saver first? Smaller amounts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking and I could build up a mylar before sealing it. I haven't started buying bulk yet and I could do single meal servings or only what I would normally use in a specific time. Do you have an idea of how long the food saver bags last before they start letting in oxygen?

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Can't picture what a food saver bag is.

What are you saving? We do rice and various types of beans. Mainly black beans. Love black beans.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I keep my extra oxygen absorbers in food saver bags and I haven't noticed any air leeching in for the past year. Mylar and food savers together are a redundancy. If one system fails, the other is still intact. It is not a bad idea at all.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My food saver sucks the oxy out of the bag before sealing. Vacume sealing . Redundancy never hurts. Better safe then sorry I should think

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, kind of what I was thinking. So as I collect food deals I'll just put then in the FoodSaver and move to Mylar lined buckets with oxygen absorbers . Where's the best place to buy Mylar?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I found the best deals on Mylar and refills for the vacume sealer on Ebay believe it or not. Oxy asorbers also. Check it out there are thousands of them up there

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would depend it all on whether or not the food you are storing is a fast perishable or not. If you use a Food-saver, then Mylar it inside or a bucket or something of the sort it should keep for years and years to come. I am still kind of new to this, but I have been doing tons of research on the matter. Goodluck I wish you the very best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.