Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What foods are the best to store in mylar with oxygen absorbers in 5 or 6 gallon buckets? I know that white rice, when stored this way, can last over 20 years. What other foods can I store like this that will last just as long?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Beans will last 10 years (Black Beans, Red Beans, Pinto Beans, Lentils) some have an oil content that will cause them to spoil. Those mentioned are good.
Cormeal will last up to 2 years.
Salt Forever
Sugar up to ten years (both white and brown)
Pasta up to 5 years but is space inneficient
Flour (white) Up to a year

paste these dates let your nose do the testing for rancidness

·
Registered
130 Posts
Freeze dried foods last the longest..They ahave a25 to 30 year shelf life if stored properly. I use canned food for short term and the FD for long term. Wheat will also last about forever if you don't grind it into flour to you need it. Do not forget to store water in a good quanity too..

·
Registered
887 Posts
I found 1 year in an air tight container using original packaging. So if Mylar and O2 absorber itleast 3 if not more. Try using the 1 lb bags and replace as you use. That way your other 4 bags (considering a 5 gallon) will still be sealed.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Honestly, at the rate the world is going down the dumper I really doubt you'll have any food that long. You'll have eaten it by then or left it behind running for your life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts