Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize it is key to have a sustainable food source when shtf, but if you have some food stored then at least you can have time to locate or create this new source. I know rice lasts a while but I'm not sure what the average shelf life is.. I think white rice lasts longer (believe I read that somewhere). Beans are sitting at around 3 years, while soups and pastas are about 2 years.

So my question is- what foods have the longest shelf life? I'm not meaning MRE's or freeze dried, I'm talking from your local grocery store.

-G

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think that properly stored in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers that grains, beans, or rice would store the longest. I know of examples of grains stored for 10+ years and opinions are that the storage life could be 50 to 100 years in the right conditions even without refrigeration.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Freeze dried products have the longest shelf life (20 plus years). We have supply of meals, veggies, fruits, meats and drinks for long term storage, and some other things for short term. We use the short term up once and awhile and just replace it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Spam, spam and more spam. according to the Hormel website:

"The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines."

Spam value or price has increased 50% in the last 2 years. a 6 pack at Sams club was $10 now is is almost $15. My cans of spam did better than my savings account!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rice and beans properly stored can last 30+ years. There have been studies done on store cans that show that they can last a lot longer than the expiration date. They lose nutritional value over time but can keep you alive. Obviously, freeze dried is the best way to go for variety and shelf life. However, that stuff is expensive!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I prep one winters worth (rice and beans) other then that I will use wild edables. wild edibles grow in all sesons and in most all weather conditions. In a drought the weeds that grow in your garden when nothing else is growing are often edible and have good nutrition value as well. I hate to prep out the wazu then have to leave it or have it stolen. I can eat on the run.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Seriously. Ppl don't realize how good boiled and mashed pine roots are or how good the needle tea will make you feel- it's packed tight with vitamin c and essential enzymes. Plantain will grow right through winter. Crow garlic, too. Lily tubers, fern tubers, grasses, seeds, acorns, walnuts, hickory nuts, freshwater mussels, grubs, water clover, sea weeds and kelp, all that stuff grows in abundance year long. Depending where you are (Georgia is a hotspot) you could never run out of good foraging.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
My gosh, I suppose I'd eat spam if it were a life or death situation, but I think I'll plan on fish and squirrel for most of the time.

As Leon suggested, while the storage of rice and beans is good, I also plan on "weeds" that are in abundance in Alabama. I figure the best storage is the root system. :grin:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Agreed if you store wheat, rice, dry beans etc. in Mylar bags with 02 absorbers, then sealed in a air tight bucket these foods will store 39+ years. Items such as sugar,honey,salt have indefinite shelf life, if store properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
HI! Would someone clarify; should the rice or whatever be left in the original bag and then put in the mylar bag or dumped into the mylar bag or does it not matter..Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
HI! Would someone clarify; should the rice or whatever be left in the original bag and then put in the mylar bag or dumped into the mylar bag or does it not matter..Thanks!!:)
We remove the rice from the original bag. Can't even tell you why.

·
Registered
264 Posts
We remove the rice from the original bag. Can't even tell you why.
I do the same. I put the bag into the pail then pour everything into the Mylar bag. Then I start to seal the Mylar with a flat iron for your hair then toss in the 02 absorber and finish sealing shut. Then I do not put the lid on until the next day so I can check the bag for leakage.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Another, overlooked item is honey. It will last forever.
If it hardens just put jar in boiling water till fluid again.
Dip that john wayne cracker right into it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
bump....would like the answer to sugar as well.

Also are you vacuum sealing the 5 gal bucket as well....even if it is in mylar bag with 02 absorber?

·
Registered
37 Posts
White Rice and Beans almost infinite if stored dry and canned food on average I read can go atleast two years past due date and I have read if you want to take chances 8 to 10 if your sure the can is sealed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts