Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are trying to get started on food storage. We are old (65 and 70) and have some issues that mean some tricky choosing of stuff for LTS. I am considering using 5 or 6 gallon food quality buckets with gamma lids and filling each with a variety of items: rice, couscous, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, instant grits, etc. I am also considering including dehydrated fruits such as strawberries and bananas, some dehydrated mushrooms and veggies. My main question is can I take a can of say dehydrated strawberries or mushrooms and break it up into (ziplock, mylar, ???) bags in smaller portions in each bucket then adding oxygen absorbers so that we have a considerable variety in each bucket and only need to open one at a time. If I repackage these items will they still have significant shelf life?

OldYankee
who appreciates any thoughts, comments or ideas

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way I break up a #10 can of dehydrated foods is using the Foodsavor.
Will that work with rice and such as well? I have a FoodSaver. There are only the two of us so the #10 cans especially are hard to use up within a reasonable time of opening them. If I use the FoodSaver, should I use some oxygen absorbers in the bucket?

OldYankee
who is new at this and anxious to learn

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely. I use the rolls so I can cut to length. I double seal both ends of the bags.
I'll have to remember the double seal idea. How about things like butter powder or sour cream powder, will they work in a FoodSaver or maybe there I should use the ziplocks?

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
OldYankee, if you are putting the food in separate bags you don't need food grade plastic buckets. But nice to have the food grade buckets for clean water come a disaster.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread, OldYankee, to ask another question. Back before oxygen absorbers were in common use, people used to put a small block of dry ice in the bottom of the pail. Then seal it after it had a while to sublimate. It was supposed to exclude oxygen.

Does this work?

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
For a Foodsavor there are adaptors for mason jars. One for regular mouth & one for wide mouth. So "powders" I vacseal in mason jars. A trick there is to put a coffee filter up in the adaptor to prevent sucking powders into your vacuum line.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread, OldYankee, to ask another question. Back before oxygen absorbers were in common use, people used to put a small block of dry ice in the bottom of the pail. Then seal it after it had a while to sublimate. It was supposed to exclude oxygen.

Does this work?
That only needs done when you are not separately bagging the supplies going inside the bucket.

When you are just dumping loose food in the bucket you need to remove the oxygen. When you have vacsealed individual bags the oxygen has already been removed by that process.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Pancake mix, powdered milk, flour, sugar, instant potatoes, etc I do these things in mason jars. Freeze dried powdered butter, cheese, etc I also do in mason jars.

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
I am considering using 5 or 6 gallon food quality buckets with gamma lids and filling each with a variety of items: rice, couscous, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, instant grits, etc. I am also considering including dehydrated fruits such as strawberries and bananas, some dehydrated mushrooms and veggies. My main question is can I take a can of say dehydrated strawberries or mushrooms and break it up into (ziplock, mylar, ???) bags in smaller portions in each bucket then adding oxygen absorbers so that we have a considerable variety in each bucket and only need to open one at a time. If I repackage these items will they still have significant shelf life?
If I had dehydrated stuff like strawberries/bananas/mushrooms, etc they wouldn't fill an entire 5 gallon bucket. So pack them in separate Mylar bags with a small ox absorber, then store them in buckets for protection. Gama lids for everything is unnecessary, if you have several buckets of rice, you only need one gamma lid for 10 buckets of rice, use the gamma lid on the bucket that you are using at the time, get a lid wrench for the rest, about $5.00 at a beer brewing supply company.

Rancher

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
When you are just dumping loose food in the bucket you need to remove the oxygen. When you have vacsealed individual bags the oxygen has already been removed by that process.
man oh man .... the misinformation on this site is just frightening sometimes ....
Vacsealed bag do not remove the oxygen, you need the oxygen absorbers in a bag that will not absorb mor oxygen, i.e. Mylar or #10 can.

Rancher

·
9,020 Posts
What did you think was incorrect?
Maybe Illini is referring to the idea of sealing the dry ice in the bucket or bag.
Maybe it would burst or rupture the container. I suppose he could be thinking
the fact that there are anaerobic bacteria that might be able to survive in a
carbon dioxide atmosphere?????
The only other thing I can think of is the use of dry ice. At this time, some
of the major companies are using nitrogen purge of the bag to get rid of the
oxygen prior to sealing instead of using oxygen absorbers. I was lucky and have
the equipment to do nitrogen purge but I still use a smaller than recommended
oxygen absorber just in case. Using the zip lock Mylar bags makes the whole
procedure fairly easy.
But I too am curious.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts