Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Food Storage Challenge:

You want to create a new food cache for a BOL. You’ve done this a few other times, but are looking to maybe shake it up a bit, but maybe not. In the past, you’ve sealed up rice, beans, oatmeal, sugar, salt, wheatberries, pancake mix, and a variety of other things.

For this challenge, You have 20 x 5g buckets w/lids. assume you have enough mylar bags, O2 absorbers and desiccants to seal up whatever you want.

You’ll probably start with 250lbs of enriched rice from Costco, which will take up 8 buckets. You now have 12 buckets left to fill….

What do YOU put in your 12 buckets? Rules, it has to be stuff readily available from Costco, grocery stores, or fleet farm type stores. It can’t be “I saved up orange peels for a years and processed them to make x”.

Example:
2 x pinto beans
2 x black beans
2 x oats
2 x wheatberries
1 x sugar
1 x salt
1 x corn starch
1 x pancake mix

Note: you have tons of spices and such, you have tons of seed to grow food down the road, you have tons of other preps. This will be an additional cache for your BOL to build up staples in case (for example) you have friendlies staying with you.

And go!

Luggage and bags Bag Trunk Gas Box

Food Font Gas Packaging and labeling Flooring

·
Registered
preppn&homesteadn
37 Posts
Need more information...will hunting and fishing be available at the bol. I looked at your list. I would swap the quantity of rice and wheat berries. I keep hard white, soft white, hard red and durum. You can plant wheat berries and regrow your supply, you cant do that with rice. For beans, I keep navy, red, pinto, garbanzo and soy. You have 5 gallons of cornstarch? Seems a bit much to me. And I would not keep 5 gallons of pancake mix. I can make pancakes with my wheat berries. I would make a place for some type of cooking oil. I have leaf lard that i canned into mason jars. Adding cooking oil is the hardest part of preps.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need more information...will hunting and fishing be available at the bol. I looked at your list. I would swap the quantity of rice and wheat berries. I keep hard white, soft white, hard red and durum. You can plant wheat berries and regrow your supply, you cant do that with rice. For beans, I keep navy, red, pinto, garbanzo and soy. You have 5 gallons of cornstarch? Seems a bit much to me. And I would not keep 5 gallons of pancake mix. I can make pancakes with my wheat berries. I would make a place for some type of cooking oil. I have leaf lard that i canned into mason jars. Adding cooking oil is the hardest part of preps.
That list is NOT a recommendation of stuff, it’s to show the format for YOUR challenge submission .

it’s an I’ll structured problem. Meaning you don’t have all the info. But sure, Assume you have ALL the spices and cooking supplies, spices, grain mills, grinders, cooking stoves, fuel, yes hunting/fishing. :)

let’s assume you were going up to a secluded wooded lake house BOL in one week (for routine maintenance work). You have 20 extra buckets to fill with food for your next trip up. 8 will be rice. What do you fill your remaining 12 buckets with, and if things not readily available at Costco, where do you obtain them? I’ve not had an easy time finding wheat berries in my neck of the woods, but maybe I’m not looking hard enough.

·
Registered
preppn&homesteadn
37 Posts
I have never been to a costco so I have no idea what would be available there.My local grocery store is about the size of a convenience/gas store. They do sell some produce and a bit of meat though. I admit, i purchased most of my supplies online. Most of the wheat berries are direct from small farmers. The leaf lard came from a local farmer. If for some reason I had to start over and make an emergency purchase at a "costco or nearest convenience store" I would be getting whatever I could find. My limit would be what funds I had available and what supplies they had available. For a planned BOL stash, I think limiting yourself to a Costco is foolish. I apologize, I don't mean to offend.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never been to a costco so I have no idea what would be available there.My local grocery store is about the size of a convenience/gas store. They do sell some produce and a bit of meat though. I admit, i purchased most of my supplies online. Most of the wheat berries are direct from small farmers. The leaf lard came from a local farmer. If for some reason I had to start over and make an emergency purchase at a "costco or nearest convenience store" I would be getting whatever I could find. My limit would be what funds I had available and what supplies they had available. For a planned BOL stash, I think limiting yourself to a Costco is foolish. I apologize, I don't mean to offend.
the challenge is the challenge. It’s not necessarily your real life, and people are way over thinking this. If you don’t have a clue what you’d put into the 5g buckets, ok. Not forcing anyone to play along. No offense taken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts