Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Beef, chicken pork are all cheaper up here at the moment but I guess that is due to farmers culling heards becasue they can't or won't be able to feed/water them. Been filling the freezers full of that stuff. Heard those items are really supposed to spike in the fall winter.

Rice, beans, flour are plentiful but expensive.

Odd items are missing from the shelves but other than there still seems to be lots out there in my area. What is really ticking me off is the shrinkflation. Freaking criminal.

Godspeed

·
Registered
223 Posts
Whatever happened to gleaners? You would think these farmers would be happy to call gleaner groups to come out & pick up the fruit that was left behind.

Huh. I did a little research and found plenty of gleaners. I'm going to call our local one to see if I can get something happening.
Even with household items, the Charity stores wants you to bring the stuff in. I took some stuff to one of the Charity store and the person at the store needed to look at the items to see if it was worth selling.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Even with household items, the Charity stores wants you to bring the stuff in. I took some stuff to one of the Charity store and the person at the store needed to look at the items to see if it was worth selling.
Have an almost brand new fridge that I wanted to donate to a chairty that in a news story said needed them. Offered it but since I wasn't able to deliver it they passed.

Pity

Godspeed

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can't say I blame 'em. After seeing some of the crap that I, I mean people donate, they're probably inundated with junk and are trying to staunch the flow.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
See Spam is being locked up cause it's so valuable and is being stolen. Some of you bought gold and silver, :ROFLMAO:
Remember it's the cheapest real meat out there

Reactions: Beechnut

·
Super Moderator
9,439 Posts
My wife an I enjoy Progresso soups. A year ago, my local Kroger affiliate sold it for $1.29, on sale for as low as $0.69. Then edged up in price to $1.49 and $1.69 with a sale price of $0.99 if you bought 10 cans. I bought 50 cans. Now $2.99. Infaltion is a lot higher than what the boobs are saying on the boob tube. But I found it at Wally World for $2.18 and bought 60 cans. I hope it tides me over until after the election. One thing that caught my attention was the lack of soup with beef.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
My wife an I enjoy Progresso soups. A year ago, my local Kroger affiliate sold it for $1.29, on sale for as low as $0.69. Then edged up in price to $1.49 and $1.69 with a sale price of $0.99 if you bought 10 cans. I bought 50 cans. Now $2.99. Infaltion is a lot higher than what the boobs are saying on the boob tube. But I found it at Wally World for $2.18 and bought 60 cans. I hope it tides me over until after the election. One thing that caught my attention was the lack of soup with beef.
Inflation figures are rigged to reflect a wide range of items. Not what the average family needs every month on a recurring basis. If you look at just a family's essentiial purchases food, rent, utilities transportation (car) etc you're looking at an inflation rate of about 30 - 50%

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ah, hell, Progresso soups are $4.59 at our local supermart (NorCal). If I saw it for what you're getting it for, I'd stock (ha!) up, too.

I wish they weren't so damn salty, tho. Oh well, it's not like I'll be buying any any time soon.

·
Registered
Medical and Health
23 Posts
See Spam is being locked up cause it's so valuable and is being stolen. Some of you bought gold and silver, :ROFLMAO:
Still buying gold and silver each month. That doesn't stop my purchases of additional food, ammo, and medical supplies. Well- rounded prepping makes more sense to me than focusing on one thing. Water filtration is going to become vital. Seeds are going to become vital. Defense of what you have and intend to keep, that's the true prep.

·
Registered
Medical and Health
23 Posts
Ah, hell, Progresso soups are $4.59 at our local supermart (NorCal). If I saw it for what you're getting it for, I'd stock (ha!) up, too.

I wish they weren't so damn salty, tho. Oh well, it's not like I'll be buying any any time soon.
They make a low sodium version for most of their soups. People usually leave those on the shelf.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

·
Registered
Bugging IN
149 Posts
My wife an I enjoy Progresso soups...
Yes, Progresso is one of my primary preps since I already eat it for dinner often (like last nite) and I have bunches in the cellar expiring in 2024. Check dates carefully because I've seen identical items side by side- one with an expiration 11 months later than the other o_O

Walmart still has their brand at .92 per pound or 80 something in the two pound package
Yes, but our Walmarts are often decimated of the cheap pasta. A worker mentioned they thought it was a wheat shortage.
War isn’t the only thing that’s bad for pasta production

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lots of news about the looming food shortages, enough to make even the non-preppers stock up a bit and start gardens. It is supposed to begin this summer. Well, summer is half over and I don't see much in the way of shortages other than a few specific items like baby formula, which is caused by one factory being shut down. The grocery stores here are pretty well stocked up. Things like eggs have become very expensive and although those shelves aren't stocked full, there are eggs for sale if you want to pay $4/doz+. Even with the news about chickens and cattle dying en masse, beef and chicken are still readily available here, again if you want to or can pay the exorbitant prices.

Do you see shortages in your area? What kind?

Is this just another fear factor thrown into the pot?
I think it’s important to remember that we are still benefiting from last years crops. I think food shortages ARE coming, we just haven’t seen it yet. Other governments specifically in Europe are actually paying farmers not to plant their crops. Continue prepping my friends, it’s going to get worst before it gets better!

·
Administrator
15,633 Posts
Chicken crumbles are up 100% since Biden took office.
Most of that in the last year - one year ago it was $11 per 50 pound bag, last week $21/50 pound bag.
Nutrena Equine Senior horse feed almost 100% increase.
Square bales of coastal hay went from $5.50 to $8.75.

Some people think prices will come back down. I don't think so. One BIG cause of the inflation, beyond diesel price, beyond "covid lockdowns", beyond everything else, is the fact the Biden administration devalued the dollar by printing so much of it to give away.
I haven't seen an estimate yet, but look at Obama's "quantitative easing" - one dollar on the day he took office was worth 75 cents the day he left.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes, Progresso is one of my primary preps since I already eat it for dinner often (like last nite) and I have bunches in the cellar expiring in 2024. Check dates carefully because I've seen identical items side by side- one with an expiration 11 months later than the other o_O

Yes, but our Walmarts are often decimated of the cheap pasta. A worker mentioned they thought it was a wheat shortage.
War isn’t the only thing that’s bad for pasta production

From what I've read, as long as they're kept in a dry, cool, dark place - canned stuff can last indefinitely. Apparently, food banks accept them a year past the best before date.

·
Registered
74 Posts
"Open the can and throw a potato cut into cubes in the can and let it sit for a couple hours. it absorbs the salt. Then save the potato for use in another dish."

Tried this. The can overflowed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, eggs have hit prices as high as $9.88 in stores, with the store near me as high as $7.99. There are some foods that have been out of stock for weeks, and some condiments months. Like Molly McButter Butter flakes were out of stock for several months, I finally ended up buying a case of them from Amazon as they were the 1st to have them in stock again.

Baby formula, at our local target, had like 5 left within the entire isle, with every shelf empty. Because of inflation here in NY & due to food being cheaper to do take out then cook, we lost 2 supermarkets here that closed down in the past 3 months.

I think once winter starts, we may see some more shortages here in NY, but family in Mass was hit with as high as a mark up as we were hit here in NY.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts