Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of news about the looming food shortages, enough to make even the non-preppers stock up a bit and start gardens. It is supposed to begin this summer. Well, summer is half over and I don't see much in the way of shortages other than a few specific items like baby formula, which is caused by one factory being shut down. The grocery stores here are pretty well stocked up. Things like eggs have become very expensive and although those shelves aren't stocked full, there are eggs for sale if you want to pay $4/doz+. Even with the news about chickens and cattle dying en masse, beef and chicken are still readily available here, again if you want to or can pay the exorbitant prices.

Do you see shortages in your area? What kind?

Is this just another fear factor thrown into the pot?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Think you will see them probably later in the year. There are stories of land being taken out of cultivation, breeding stock being sold off as food, and farmers are seeing the cost of fertilizer going thru the roof. When you take all that into consideration, you're going to see some pretty severe shortages most likely in the late fall when the corn and soy bean crops come in and into next spring when the amount of beef is down and the winter wheat crop is supposed to come in.

It may be somewhat mitigated due to the raging inflation and folks not having enough money to put food on the table. Just look at the increase in the number of folks going to their local food banks.

Things could get pretty grim come next summer and I for one do not see any quick fixes on the horizon.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,027 Posts
Gas and groceries are going up and up and up, but no shortages here as yet...There was rumored to be a shortage on feminine hygiene supplies (tampons), but so far I haven't seen that to be the case.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Just wait for it. Takes a while for things to work it's way through the system. This years crop isn't even close to being harvested yet. This is world wide not just in the US. Wait til snow hits the ground. Then we will have an idea of what we are up against.

Pretty sure the libs are trying everything to keep things SOP til the election. "IF" the repubs do actually take over things will fall out quick. So the libs can blame everything on them for 2024.

·
Administrator
15,631 Posts
Get the facts here.

Basically, because of weather conditions some crops were late getting into the ground, and now, because of current weather conditions many crops are not going to be producing as much as normal.

I watch both these shows every week, have for over 20 years. It pays to be informed. Especially, if you are a prepper.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,687 Posts
Tinfoil a little tight there Bub..?
Rule #2:
"Users shall treat each other with respect at all times on PrepperForums.net. Ideas and opinions may be challenged, but name-calling, personal attacks, or other inappropriate behavior will not be allowed"

Keep it civil. If you want to contest or debate the information, have at it, but it will remain impersonal.
If you aren't able to do this, then keep your comments to yourself.

Now, what you MEANT to say was.....?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lots of crops around my house- coming soon, cotton and tomatoes. Just harvested, peaches. I walked though part of the orchard and there are thousands of peaches lying on the ground, rotting.

So, apparently, we have plenty of food. :mad:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rule #2:
"Users shall treat each other with respect at all times on PrepperForums.net. Ideas and opinions may be challenged, but name-calling, personal attacks, or other inappropriate behavior will not be allowed"

Keep it civil. If you want to contest or debate the information, have at it, but it will remain impersonal.
If you aren't able to do this, then keep your comments to yourself.

Now, what you MEANT to say was.....?
You mean name-calling like "demorats"? And thousands of other slurs on political parties people here disagree with?

·
Super Moderator
9,438 Posts
Went shopping yesterday at my local kroger affiliate. I could not believe the number or empty or near empty shelves. Got the last gallon of milk and my wife gave up fovorite bread because it doubled in price since early 2021. I pray the democrats are unable to steal the upcoming election. I guess I'll have to start storing supplies in the spare bedroom, because I'm going to really add to what I thought was sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,687 Posts
You mean name-calling like "demorats"? And thousands of other slurs on political parties people here disagree with?
Were you specifically called something?
Re-read the rule. It applies to personal attacks between members.
Feel free to call the president, candidates, parties, and any other political affiliate anything you like within the other rules of the board.

Have a nice day.(y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Increases in prices are food shortages. The quality and quantity of food is declining daily. Many brands have stopped producing parts of their lines because of inability to source inputs. Even in the movie soilent green some people had steak, most just starved.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Lots of crops around my house- coming soon, cotton and tomatoes. Just harvested, peaches. I walked though part of the orchard and there are thousands of peaches lying on the ground, rotting.

So, apparently, we have plenty of food. :mad:
We used to have Peaches and when they were harvested only certain sizes were taken for the cannery and the others (under sized) ended up on the ground, a lot of waste and hated the smell of the rotten ones.....we now have Almonds which all of them get taken and no waste and no rotten smell.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lets hope that Russia/ Ukraine grain deal happens as planned. Food will still be available in the US at least but the price we pay for it will increase more. I have seen food stocks lower than usual at my local stores and the price has doubled.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We used to have Peaches and when they were harvested only certain sizes were taken for the cannery and the others (under sized) ended up on the ground, a lot of waste and hated the smell of the rotten ones.....we now have Almonds which all of them get taken and no waste and no rotten smell.
Whatever happened to gleaners? You would think these farmers would be happy to call gleaner groups to come out & pick up the fruit that was left behind.

Huh. I did a little research and found plenty of gleaners. I'm going to call our local one to see if I can get something happening.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts