Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've seen some crazy prices for some things I normally buy via Amazon's subscribe and save. In response, I've changed what I buy. We're hunkered down again for awhile, so no contact to absolute minimum until the cases spreading from the holidays burn out. I consider grocery stores high risk for now, we've got the highest new case rates since the pandemic started, and my ICU nursing friends tell me that they're seeing more, sicker people than over the summer. So no grocery stores for awhile either. Ordered 2 white currant bushes for spring delivery and filled out some holes in my seed supply instead.

·
Administrator
14,699 Posts
I shop both Sam's and Costco. Sam's is closer so I go there a little more often. Previously went there and TP and PT were gone. Yesterday they had a limited stock with only one per customer, which is what they've had for months. I'm canning meat so I went to pick some up. While the grocery stores all have price increases, Sam's has stayed pretty much the same.
Closest Costco is an hour and a half at mostly 65 MPH, except for a few small towns with stop lights on the way.
I have no idea where a Sam's Club is.

Gosh, I LOVE living in the country. I wouldn't have it any other way.
20 years ago, the wife said that if the county ever paved the road we live on it would be time to move further out.
It is still a dirt road.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
It's not cheaper, it's the same - right now. Fred Meyer's has it at the same price today that I paid yesterday at Costco. With shopping points, I can actually get it cheaper than Costco...Normally, Costco is lower, but, everything is going up...

Peace,
Michael J.
Got it. Costco is just down the road for us. Fred Meyer or even Safeway are out of the way.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Costco tends to have higher end market items than Sam's. That's why we have both. There are certain things we buy at each. You can order online from Sam's and they will ship. In fact, some things you can buy online and can't get in the stores. Splenda in the pouches is one of those things as is my Crystal Light. I can't get either at Costco.
I can get both Splenda and Crystal Light at Costco. Interesting.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
That's how I feel about produce.
Same here on that.

The only thing I would allow would be canned food and to specific brands.

I do all the shopping for most of the food, my daughter is my wingman when we go.

When at the Chinese market, she picks out all the fresh veggies, including the bean sprouts.

The veggies at Wallyworld and the other three supermarkets are garbage compared to the ***** stuff, and much cheaper.

This is the only time we go out, other than Doc appointments is shopping, we use to know where everything was until this virus.

The stores have moved stuff out of their common places and spread it around to hide the lack of things.

I get Crystal Light Raspberry Ice and Fruit Punch at Wallyworld, always in stock there.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Same here on that.

The only thing I would allow would be canned food and to specific brands.

I do all the shopping for most of the food, my daughter is my wingman when we go.

When at the Chinese market, she picks out all the fresh veggies, including the bean sprouts.

The veggies at Wallyworld and the other three supermarkets are garbage compared to the ***** stuff, and much cheaper.

This is the only time we go out, other than Doc appointments is shopping, we use to know where everything was until this virus.

The stores have moved stuff out of their common places and spread it around to hide the lack of things.

I get Crystal Light Raspberry Ice and Fruit Punch at Wallyworld, always in stock there.
The Walmart brand Crystal Light replacement is also good.

·
Super Moderator
8,626 Posts
I can get both Splenda and Crystal Light at Costco. Interesting.
Here, Costco carries the packets but not the bags that I use. They quit carrying them about a year ago. I use Crystal Light Peach Tea. This is very hard to find here other than occasional singles. I buy by the case as it is cheaper and I always have it on hand.

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
Well, I went to both Wally World and HEB yesterday, what mad houses. I went early thinking I would get in and out before the crowds. Apparently everyone else had the same idea.:vs_mad: I hate people, especially in crowds. :vs_mad::vs_mad:

Anyways, I went through 4 hundred bucks in a hurry. Seems to me prices are up across the board. Stocked up on canned goods, rice and beans. Inventory looked pretty good. Wally World had TP so I added to my storage. Interesting, No paper towels or paper plates. No cleaning stuff at all but I am in pretty good shape there. HEB had a good selection of meats so I topped off there as well.

They way things are looking I would prepare for more stringent shutdowns as we go forward. I even hear rumors that the governor is considering shutdowns. Hell, If I wasn't working and didn't need beer and bread I wouldn't have to leave the house for maybe 2 or 3 years. :tango_face_grin: So, I am comfortable where I am right now as far as storage. Plenty of ammo, food, water, 1st aid, etc. If your going to bring it then bring it on already.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Well, I went to both Wally World and HEB yesterday, what mad houses. I went early thinking I would get in and out before the crowds. Apparently everyone else had the same idea.:vs_mad: I hate people, especially in crowds. :vs_mad::vs_mad:

Anyways, I went through 4 hundred bucks in a hurry. Seems to me prices are up across the board. Stocked up on canned goods, rice and beans. Inventory looked pretty good. Wally World had TP so I added to my storage. Interesting, No paper towels or paper plates. No cleaning stuff at all but I am in pretty good shape there. HEB had a good selection of meats so I topped off there as well.

They way things are looking I would prepare for more stringent shutdowns as we go forward. I even hear rumors that the governor is considering shutdowns. Hell, If I wasn't working and didn't need beer and bread I wouldn't have to leave the house for maybe 2 or 3 years. :tango_face_grin: So, I am comfortable where I am right now as far as storage. Plenty of ammo, food, water, 1st aid, etc. If your going to bring it then bring it on already.
We thought the same thing, go in slow time at the stores, WRONG!, both the place were mobbed!

We are in a state of lockdown within the state as decreed by the Governor, no excess travel, we only go where we need to go,

we are hermits for the most part, but they can go bite me with their lockdown!!!!!

When we went shopping Friday at Wally World, no PT at all and no TP either, just checked, don't need any,

most of the gallon jugs of water were gone also.

At the BJ's club which we also went to they had some Bounty paper towels, limit 2, grabbed one.

There was plenty of "fresh" Perdue chicken at the club, frozen type was almost non existent in the cases.

Bought a 6 can pack of club brand chicken, have about 40 cans of that put back.

Just checked my O2 saturation @98%, and temp @97.6F, no COVID signs.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
At the local Walmart yesterday found bacon flavored Spam in stock. All canned meats were well stocked except for Dak hams. I like Paul Newmans line of pasta sauces and they have been scarce here since last February. But most varieties were on the shelf. TP and PT were at full stock. Low sodium Cambells chicken soup was on the shelf too after a 6 week absence. Lots of bulk rice and beans. Looks like things are close to pre-pandemic levels. Time to restock is now before the stupidity starts up again.

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
At the local Walmart yesterday found bacon flavored Spam in stock. All canned meats were well stocked except for Dak hams. I like Paul Newmans line of pasta sauces and they have been scarce here since last February. But most varieties were on the shelf. TP and PT were at full stock. Low sodium Cambells chicken soup was on the shelf too after a 6 week absence. Lots of bulk rice and beans. Looks like things are close to pre-pandemic levels. Time to restock is now before the stupidity starts up again.
I saw pretty much the same thing so I added to my storage. Household cleaners where in short supply but could be had. Prices are still up. I look for it to get worse once Joe and the Ho settle in.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Saw much the same thing Saturday myself, only bought canned goods, butter and eggs, roughly a 100 cans, hey it was in stock,

Kid grabbed full flats of different ones, and a bunch of hungry Jack potatoes. Had to tell her to keep it under $200 for that trip.

The rice and dried bean levels were up but not full as usual, as said we are in lockdown and that may be driving the buying.

I haven't seen a DAK ham since last February myself.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts