Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
A lot of the better quality canned goods appear to be in short supply in some stores.

Store brands are fed onto the shelves at a consistent rate now, panic has slowed down somewhat.

I am getting ready for the winter comeback COVID strike to happen.

That 1-2 year window I was not prepared for, except for TP and PT.

Now the freezers are full of what we eat, and the same with canned and packaged goods.

Some alternate foods are also stored, these are ones we do and would eat but not on a regular basis.

Kid has 6 cases of mac and cheese stored, not the microwavable ones, I can't stand the stuff, gag!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Still no disinfecting wipes. Kinda given up on seeing those on shelves again. Toilet paper seems okay but that will probably change here pretty soon

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have my utmost respect! My family did Michigan winters for 7 years before we moved back to CA but I can tell you we were all well wrapped up in layers of clothing. That being said it's between 90-100+ degrees all summer every summer where I live in CA so 75 degrees is cold. Still between PG&E providing us with rolling black outs, wildfires, and yet they don't have enough housing I'm ready for some green country. A serious food shortage in CA on top of that is downright terrifying and it seems like the longer this pandemic goes on and things keep getting shut down the more I wonder if that will happen. It's safe to say I have upped my prepping this summer by quite a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The processing plants had less customers to sell to. Cruise ships, restaurants, hotels, buy steaks in bulk... nobody was eating out period! they were buying ground burger not steaks. Hutterites were selling a whole hog, processed and packaged for $200. and were backed up for weeks! those of us in the sticks with more than just a fridge freezer do just fine in times like these. It's the folks in the cities with only 3 days of food that suffer when they all run out to buy the last of the chicken and burger. the farmers and the processors aren't the real problem, all the people living around you are!
That's exactly what I learned this year. While I've always had several weeks of food on hand I've learned this will be a tense year as we get ready for round 2 of Covid along with the flu. Hell CA is not even through round 1 of Covid! My husband is a transplant recipient so in the very high risk category. He's doing well right now but I've been very careful to not hang out with people. I go to the grocery store and Target (maybe a craft store) once a week. Last week a friend who works at the grocery store I shop at told me two employees were sent home with Covid. I feel stupid but I never realized just how tenuous our food supply is, how dependent upon so many factors to get food to our stores. Now I know and will prep accordingly!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have noticed in my area that canned food has not gone on sale for a while. normally one of the stores or Walmart will have a sale for canned food items once a week with it rotating though their inventory. But nothing in a few months. Not sure if that has to due with food shortages or just they are sealing enough they don't need to move inventory.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
That's exactly what I learned this year. While I've always had several weeks of food on hand I've learned this will be a tense year as we get ready for round 2 of Covid along with the flu. Hell CA is not even through round 1 of Covid! My husband is a transplant recipient so in the very high risk category. He's doing well right now but I've been very careful to not hang out with people. I go to the grocery store and Target (maybe a craft store) once a week. Last week a friend who works at the grocery store I shop at told me two employees were sent home with Covid. I feel stupid but I never realized just how tenuous our food supply is, how dependent upon so many factors to get food to our stores. Now I know and will prep accordingly!
-Knowing is half the battle- G.I.Joe

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You have my utmost respect! My family did Michigan winters for 7 years before we moved back to CA but I can tell you we were all well wrapped up in layers of clothing. That being said it's between 90-100+ degrees all summer every summer where I live in CA so 75 degrees is cold. Still between PG&E providing us with rolling black outs, wildfires, and yet they don't have enough housing I'm ready for some green country. A serious food shortage in CA on top of that is downright terrifying and it seems like the longer this pandemic goes on and things keep getting shut down the more I wonder if that will happen. It's safe to say I have upped my prepping this summer by quite a bit.
Whatever you think may be enough to get your family thru....probably isn't. Better double it, if you can.

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Stock up now on over the counter meds, TP, your food storage, and ammo if you can find it. Between China bug 2 and the elections in November it could get hairy.

Oh, and you may want to keep an eye on NK, Russia, especially China, Iran, the middle east in general, and our friendly neighborhood terrorists. Don't think that our enemies have not been watching.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
A large town, two over from me has been having BLM-MAGA demonstrations going on in center of town.

Nothing is happening between them simply because the MAGA outnumbered the NLM by 6-1

I can't believe this crap is happening here! In the middle of nowhere!

Nothing has turned violent yet, my problem is I travel that road to the bank which is in the middle of it all,

and where I get my meds.

I can bypass it but it would take me 15-20 miles out of the way each direction.

So now my quiet rural towns are beginning to boil over, that is what they get for allowing section 8 housing in.

I spoke in other posts about the section 8 housing and the growth of crimes related to it.

Every day the police are at the Super Walmart picking up shoplifters, 95% are black that I see.

No it is not food they are lifting, that I could understand, but not approve of.

Most is by women? or whatever the hell they are, in the vanity aisles,

they have special cameras posted there with vid screens allowing you to look at yourself in the process and it is recorded.

And the F'N idiots STILL try to steal stuff!!!!

One pried the lock off of a glass display to get at the higher priced lipsticks, had her two kids stuff them in their diapers and pockets.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Another thought here......do you know of anyone that has some land or is an active farm near you that you can develop a close relationship with, that you can trade doing some chores for them in exchange for either some garden space or an animal for meat??? It may be a big gamble they'd follow thru on the deal and give you your 'share' for your efforts, if times got really bad, but it would/could be worth the risk. Your chances of something like that working for you would increase if you could do that with 2 or 3 other people.....atleast one would be dependable. It may be naive to think people would be good to their word, and still allow you access to their property, especially in times of trouble......but the better relationship you have with them, the better chance they'll stick to their end of the bargain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Around here (Central NY) meat has gone up, especially beef. Pork hasn't changed much, chicken is about $1 more a pound. There has been limits posted on how much you can buy. There's been days I've gone to the store and the shelves are empty, other days it looks normal. I got a weird feeling and in early March I bought a sh*t ton of meat and canned it all. I haven't stopped. I've been putting away everything I can get my hands on. If I find something on the shelf or somewhere, I buy it and put it away. I haven't had a good feeling since this mess started and the election is a concern. I don't use my freezer much. I can everything instead.

For a month you couldn't get yeast here. It's on the shelves now, but I started to get concerned. I've tried canning more new (to me) things in the last 5 months than I have in a long time.

·
Super Moderator
2,903 Posts
Another thought here......do you know of anyone that has some land or is an active farm near you that you can develop a close relationship with, that you can trade doing some chores for them in exchange for either some garden space or an animal for meat??? It may be a big gamble they'd follow thru on the deal and give you your 'share' for your efforts, if times got really bad, but it would/could be worth the risk. Your chances of something like that working for you would increase if you could do that with 2 or 3 other people.....atleast one would be dependable. It may be naive to think people would be good to their word, and still allow you access to their property, especially in times of trouble......but the better relationship you have with them, the better chance they'll stick to their end of the bargain.
Good thought. My neighbors raise cattle. We are about to buy more land for grazing and planting. Not much but enough to allow for a large garden that would be somewhat sustainable as well as grazing for a cow or two. We also have neighbors that raise pigs and sheep. We all know each other. I think a barter system is realistic if the SHTF in a big way.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Good thought. My neighbors raise cattle. We are about to buy more land for grazing and planting. Not much but enough to allow for a large garden that would be somewhat sustainable as well as grazing for a cow or two. We also have neighbors that raise pigs and sheep. We all know each other. I think a barter system is realistic if the SHTF in a big way.
That idea would work well in your situation as well. My thought was more for those that live in an apartment or condo & don't have the land available to grow a garden or keep livestock, but would be willing to do the work for a share of the goods.

But on another side of that equation.......would you or your neighbors be willing to let someone(s) come to your property to plant, weed, harvest.....or feed, water, care for any livestock in exchange for a piece of the pie, so to speak...if you knew they couldn't get food on their own (no space for DIY, stores empty or closed)

That would be a tough call even for someone you've known for many years, much less an acquaintance of maybe less than a year....but it's also a hard call for the other person as well. Just because they put in the work, time & effort....doesn't mean they'll get 'paid' for their efforts.

It comes down to trust and in tough times especially it's a lacking quality.

·
Super Moderator
2,903 Posts
That idea would work well in your situation as well. My thought was more for those that live in an apartment or condo & don't have the land available to grow a garden or keep livestock, but would be willing to do the work for a share of the goods.

But on another side of that equation.......would you or your neighbors be willing to let someone(s) come to your property to plant, weed, harvest.....or feed, water, care for any livestock in exchange for a piece of the pie, so to speak...if you knew they couldn't get food on their own (no space for DIY, stores empty or closed)

That would be a tough call even for someone you've known for many years, much less an acquaintance of maybe less than a year....but it's also a hard call for the other person as well. Just because they put in the work, time & effort....doesn't mean they'll get 'paid' for their efforts.

It comes down to trust and in tough times especially it's a lacking quality.
Yeah. That would be a tough call. In that situation it would be family and very very close friends first then look at an outsider if they can bring value. To tell you the truth, even some family might be excluded. We all have "those types" in our families.. the ones that are just lazy.

So yes, there would be a pecking order.

·
Super Moderator
3,127 Posts
Guess it’s time to resurrect this thread. I went shopping for a ham this morning and sure enough, the hams are in short supply. They had 3 whole hams and 3 halfs. I asked if they would cut one of the halfs so I could purchase a quarter. Nope! No can do. So in addition to butt wipe maybe we can add hams to the shortage list.

Maybe it’s only at this one local grocery store.

·
Administrator
14,864 Posts
When the manufactured covid crisis started, combined with election year BS, my wife saw the writing on the wall.
She quietly began increasing our one year supply of food and necessities to 3 years. Enough to get through riots and leftist activities.

Some things were fine already - we use one coffee filter per day, she hasn’t bought any in 15 years and still has several thousand.
Toilet paper crisis? We had case after case after case out in the hay shed.

We are not “preppers “, we simply have common sense.

Living rurally, it is easier to order thru Walmart or Amazon and have it delivered to our gate than to drive into town and see bare shelves.
I married the perfect woman for me.

To borrow a line from the Internet: “Cute is out, you want a woman who can catch a chicken.”

·
Registered
24,238 Posts
Went to the Dothan Sam’s Club, yesterday. Absolutely no paper towels or toilet paper.

41 - 60 of 156 Posts