Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
7,050 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, a family pack of 6 chicken breasts has gone from $20 to $30 a pack. Fresh fruits and vegetable are up by $1 a pound and fresh is a very loose term because they are not always restocked quickly. Since they closed down the NBA there has been a food panic and I am not immune. This pandemic has made me keenly aware of just how precarious our food situation is. I don't know a lot about the economics of food production or lack of it. I think I understand but am appalled that ranchers were slaughtering their animals and farmers were destroying crops when there whole shelves were empty of food at our grocery store. The few companies that produce/package the meat and veggies were affected by workers getting sick right? I wonder as this pandemic goes on, gets worse this fall/winter when the flu comes, what should I expect at the grocery store? Higher prices or just no food? What do you think?

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Well, a family pack of 6 chicken breasts has gone from $20 to $30 a pack. Fresh fruits and vegetable are up by $1 a pound and fresh is a very loose term because they are not always restocked quickly. Since they closed down the NBA there has been a food panic and I am not immune. This pandemic has made me keenly aware of just how precarious our food situation is. I don't know a lot about the economics of food production or lack of it. I think I understand but am appalled that ranchers were slaughtering their animals and farmers were destroying crops when there whole shelves were empty of food at our grocery store. The few companies that produce/package the meat and veggies were affected by workers getting sick right? I wonder as this pandemic goes on, gets worse this fall/winter when the flu comes, what should I expect at the grocery store? Higher prices or just no food? What do you think?
Chicken breast here is 1.69 a lb. Thighs and leg .69 cent a lbs
I'm thinking Calif is ripping you off. U-haul trucks are available for moving furnature.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
ranchers had to cull their herds because nobody was buying their product. They cannot feed them and were selling them at a loss where they could sell. killing them and processing the meat is better than letting them starve and go to waste. As for farmers destroying their own crops, not sure what you are talking about there, many fields were unable to be harvested due to being wet. The old crop has to come off to be able to plant new crop. so some of it (flax and wheat) had to be burned off. You state this like the farmers and ranchers simply lit their crop/herds on fire for the fun of it and laughed and drank while they burned money.. Its not like they are all able to lose billions of $$$$ like the postal service every year and keep working! if they have a 2nd straight year like last.. many farms will go under.. and food prices will climb!

·
Super Moderator
3,127 Posts
Chicken breast around here goes for $1.99 per pound. Chicken tenders are $2.39. Beef is expensive. Pork is just slightly higher than pre kung flu prices. If you are paying $30 per sixpack, you are getting seriously robbed. Move or change your politicians.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Chicken breast here is 1.69 a lb. Thighs and leg .69 cent a lbs
I'm thinking Calif is ripping you off. U-haul trucks are available for moving furnature.
I just bought another 30# of chicken hindquarters for $.49 a pound this weekend in 10# bags. You have to remember the more draconian a states response to the wu-flu, the more drastic the effect on their economy and supply lines.

·
Super Moderator
9,819 Posts
I'm wondering if this is true or is it just another scare tactic by the media to sway the election and/or get people to view their crappy programming again.

Remember not too long ago the murder hornets were going to kill us all.

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
I'm wondering if this is true or is it just another scare tactic by the media to sway the election and/or get people to view their crappy programming again.

Remember not too long ago the murder hornets were going to kill us all.
When did they call off the murder hornets?

Nobody tells me shit anymore...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Right now my heads in a whirl of all the possibilities related to this because each of those articles in the OP are BS 3 different ways.

1. CBS blames Trump for the economy because of the flu, everyone's out of work and no money to buy food (food scarcity).......which doesn't make alot of sense to me since in June (date of article) everyone that was laid off got their unemployment + $600 per week???? and anyone that did work were getting bonus's for coming to work??? EXCUSE ME, but that means they had alot more money than usual to pay their bills & buy their food. Then of course they also received the stimulus payment. This has never made any sense to me, how everyone was making more money than pre-covid, but can't afford their bills & food, so if anyone can explain this, please let me know.

2. Bloomberg blames Covid. Everyone is sick & dying and not able to work the food production line.

3. NPR, while mentioning global warming, they do say there is plenty of food and don't understand the panic for shortages.....then drops a crumb of truth. "So we wrote this paper, 'Debunking the New Normal,' and it was very unpopular," he recalls. "In fact, we weren't able to publish it!"

·
Super Moderator
3,127 Posts
Think about this for a moment....... the democrats (the left) thrive on chaos and disruption. They think they have a better chance at taking power if people are confused and afraid. So it’s pretty easy to create panic simply by having MSM beat the drum continuously proclaiming there is a food shortage (or TP shortage!). There doesn’t actually have to be a food shortage. They just have to report there is a food shortage. People immediately panic and flock to the stores and strip the shelves bare. Bare shelves feed into the narrative and increase the panic. And the chaos is “on”. Eventually the system compensates but for a month or two everyone is looking, buying, and hoarding. And the dems have achieved their goals just by having a few news outlets report a bogus story. People are sheep and easily manipulated.

Now I’m not saying there were not any supply problems. But it seems to me that things got way overblown way too fast. JMHO

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
They need this chaos to continue through November. I would look for them to crank it up over the next few months.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Chicken breast around here goes for $1.99 per pound. Chicken tenders are $2.39. Beef is expensive. Pork is just slightly higher than pre kung flu prices. If you are paying $30 per sixpack, you are getting seriously robbed. Move or change your politicians.
Two weeks ago they had sirloin steak $3/pound. I'm still eating that w/garden vegetables, got 25 lbs.

I hope the bear that raided my orchard stays around until the 1st, I've got an empty freezer and bear tag. Doe tags for deer season. Cool weather comes trout will be on the menu.

My garden is looking good and bad. But putting in fall transplants/seeds this week.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
They need this chaos to continue through November. I would look for them to crank it up over the next few months.
You've really got to wonder who the brains are...who the advisers are for the democrat elites.
I listen to Rush Limbaugh quite often. I think he hits the nail on the head when he says...the media elite and the dems believe the world revolves around Twitter. They think because something is hot or trending on twitter, it must be on the minds of every American. It's not.

I didn't listen to the democratic convention but my news feeds had portions of the speeches all week. I watched some of the republican convention in between coats of lacquer last night and am catching the highlights this morning.

The difference between them is literally like night and day.

What I find astonishing is that...not one single democrat has come out to admonish the riots and destruction...NOT ONE.

IMO, even the sane democrats living in these mini-Beiruts have had enough of this crap.

On a side note....I don't remember where I read it but, next time you are talking with someone who is leaning towards Biden ask them this:

Without mentioning Trump's name, why are you voting for Biden. The answers should be interesting.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts