Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'd like to carry a small refrigerator in my pack, but for some reason it's too heavy and the cord doesn't want to stay plugged in as I move.:|

So I'm stuck with MRE entree's stripped down to there last packaging, MRE pound cakes the same, granola bars, Cliff bars, trail mix, beef jerky, a jar of Jiffy peanut butter, beef bouillon cubes for soup, a bottle of seasoning loaded heavy with salt, tea and coffee single packets, and sugar packets.

That won't last more than a week and change though if I was just eating off it, so may rig is designed around foraging for game, fish, long pork, and I'll be eating creepy crawlies and scavenging as I can.

:razz:

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I'd like to carry a small refrigerator in my pack, but for some reason it's too heavy and the cord doesn't want to stay plugged in as I move.:|

So I'm stuck with MRE entree's stripped down to there last packaging, MRE pound cakes the same, granola bars, Cliff bars, trail mix, beef jerky, a jar of Jiffy peanut butter, beef bouillon cubes for soup, a bottle of seasoning loaded heavy with salt, tea and coffee single packets, and sugar packets.

That won't last more than a week and change though if I was just eating off it, so may rig is designed around foraging for game, fish, long pork, and I'll be eating creepy crawlies and scavenging as I can.

:razz:
What's wrong, you too good for spam?!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
No, I like spam, it's just not carrying food for me. Too heavy in package for what it gives me. Plus there's all that long pork ot there. It's what the seasonings for. :razz:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Lifeboat rations: Mainstay or Mayday, depending on taste preference. Available via Amazon, in a variety of package sizes, depending on calorie count, fairly heat resistant, so can also be stored in the car during summer, unlike MREs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a mixture of MRE's (stripped down, of course), the highest calorie entrees/desserts and crackers/peanut butter I had, and some dehydrated food in pouches. Along with instant coffee, sugar, salt, electrolyte rich drink mixes, beef jerky, and some hard candies (I have a sweet tooth lol).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I was an avid cyclist until about three years ago when injury took me off the bike. I hope to be cleared to get back on in the coming weeks, just in time for the heat wave, lol. I often bought my Cliff bars at discount when close to their expiration date. I've eaten them up to about 6 months past the recommended date and lived to tell the tale. They do kind of get chewy, but other than that very doable.

I dunno if I'd want to try 5 years out of date though.

EDIT: Woohoo, just noticed my member is no longer a Junior! Woohoo!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I carry some pb, hardtack, pecans, peanut M&Ms, Knorr/Lipton Stroganoff, powdered eggs, powdered milk, Minute Rice, cream of rice, beef jerkey, dried vegtable soup mix, ramen and 8 ounces of olive oil. MREs weigh close to a pound even stripped down and usually have like 1200 calories. 16 ounces of peanut butter gives you about 2500 calories. I try to get the most out of every gram of weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I carry Mountain house freeze dried meals, homemade trail mix, beef jerkey, protein bars, rice, oatmeal w/brown sugar, cinnamon, beef/chicken bullion cubes. I havent thought about the peanut butter thing I will have to make a note of it and try and find a small jar to pack away.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Peanut Butter & Co Natural Peanut Butter, Smooth Operator Squeeze Packs, 1.15-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 20): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food This might be a slightly lighter idea for peanut butter. I haven't tried them yet but I know people who use them.
Yeah, slightly lighter, but the empty peanut butter jar has uses besides for storing more things after it's empty in your BOB. Whether meat or bugs, tinder, water or rope/string. The polymer jars aren't that much weight and you can easily trade them out for a new one you bought from the store to keep the shelf life date more current in your BOB. I think if I bought those I'd probably not use them and buy new one's like I would a jar of peanut butter from the local supermarket instead of buying them online. At that price too I can get quite a few jars to keep around the house also.

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
I carry 3 days worth of Mountain dehydrated meals. Where I live, water isn't a problem but I carry purification pills just in case.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm starting. I'm bugging in while I'm able then bug out. one person mentioned oatmeal. I got some the other day for this purpose but what do you store it and other food stuffs in so A) after long term storage it does not develop that funky plastic taste, B) Light yet keeps bugs out. The original cardboard container is no good because it will easily break.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts