Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I think of food and food storage I think of foods that will not promote bowel movement. People store can goods, preservatives, and all sorts of things for hard times, but has anyone considered that food goes in and it comes out the other in. How do you deal with the elimination of the waste? How do you deal with the energy loss from bowel movements after eating caned goods, or preservatives? There is a way to plan for hard times involving foods but can goods and preservatives is just not it in my view. We need to have bread and lots of it, things that will stick to the stomach. For those who can handle it we need to understand that they body will consume its own waste matter for food to survive if it is not being fed. If the waste matter is leaving the body it cannot consume it. If the waste matter is toxic it should not consume it. Learning how to eat during hard time is a science that can be learned. Food also affects the bodies odder and cleanliness. If it is consumed correctly it will produce liquids (liquify) that help in the sustenance process. Eating food is one of the most important things we do.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
a) To me long term food storage is about a 9 month supply. I really don't go for longer because I expect to be producing all I need well before 9 months is up - in fact I'm already producing most of what I need and only shop for what I want these days (treats actually). The only variation to that is stored beans and rice. I do store plenty of them because I won't be growing them. Though I'm looking into growing beans rice is a little difficult to harvest and requires more water than I want to use - at least from the home work I've seen on it. Plus its easy to store for very long periods ample amounts of beans and rice. So eating dehydrated, freeze dried or canned goods won't be for very long.

b) As to waste removal I got a kick out of that on another forum. It was 3 pages deep before I asked - my Gosh folks, can't you dig a hole in the ground?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
a) To me long term food storage is about a 9 month supply. I really don't go for longer because I expect to be producing all I need well before 9 months is up - in fact I'm already producing most of what I need and only shop for what I want these days (treats actually). The only variation to that is stored beans and rice. I do store plenty of them because I won't be growing them. Though I'm looking into growing beans rice is a little difficult to harvest and requires more water than I want to use - at least from the home work I've seen on it. Plus its easy to store for very long periods ample amounts of beans and rice. So eating dehydrated, freeze dried or canned goods won't be for very long.

b) As to waste removal I got a kick out of that on another forum. It was 3 pages deep before I asked - my Gosh folks, can't you dig a hole in the ground?
I am with you on this one as long as you have beans and rice as a base you will not starve to death, plus there is always things that you can add to it whether it is only wild onions. But I don't no anyone that stores just beans and rice and I think if you can make it through 1 year then you should be able to live more off the land as people did for ten thousand years. There are numerous ways to get rid of waste but one thing is for sure, if you don't have nothing to eat, getting rid of waste will be the last thing to worry about.

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
We use a septic tank and tile field. Before that it was a French Drain out of a 55 gal drum. A tile shovel makes about 6" slit. Just insert the shovel, then lift up the sod and place it next to the hole. Squat and do your business. Cover up the hole. You wouldn't know where it was if the grass wasn't greener next year. That's the deer camp method. If the ground is frozen it's stinky at melt time.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
When I think of food and food storage I think of foods that will not promote bowel movement. People store can goods, preservatives, and all sorts of things for hard times, but has anyone considered that food goes in and it comes out the other in. How do you deal with the elimination of the waste? How do you deal with the energy loss from bowel movements after eating caned goods, or preservatives? There is a way to plan for hard times involving foods but can goods and preservatives is just not it in my view. We need to have bread and lots of it, things that will stick to the stomach. For those who can handle it we need to understand that they body will consume its own waste matter for food to survive if it is not being fed. If the waste matter is leaving the body it cannot consume it. If the waste matter is toxic it should not consume it. Learning how to eat during hard time is a science that can be learned. Food also affects the bodies odder and cleanliness. If it is consumed correctly it will produce liquids (liquify) that help in the sustenance process. Eating food is one of the most important things we do.
Ok I was just going to let this die, sorry for anyone that thought the same as I've just ruine it for you too.

First welcome point man, I'm sure you will learn a lot, let me first suggest you learn to use paragraphs to make your messages more readable and divide up your thoughts into more manageable pieces.

It seems you think everything in a preppers food stores is canned or preserved which is not or should not be correct. My stores are overwhelmingly bulk rice, whole wheat, beans, brown sugar, honey, processed sugar and salt. Yes I do have canned soups and vegetables but those are to add variety, taste and texture to the bulk foods, canned foods are not the only stores we have.

I also read that you think slowing down the digestive process equals the food you eat being processed by your body more thoroughly? That is how it came out anyway and I would dispute this and your claim that eating is some kind of science that we don't understand.

Eating foods that are hard for your body to metabolize isn't a sure fire way to maximumize your caloric intake (per calorie consumed), actually eating easy to digest foods in smaller quantities in several small meals throughout the day Will be more energy efficient. Keep in mind it takes more energy for your body to break down wheat/grains which is why they digest slower but also offsets any additional nutritional gains you may experience.

Contrary to your assertion to make wheat a primary staple, there is mounting evidence that we should not eat it at all! It introduces gluten to your body which has no positive effects and can have huge negative ones, it also requires more stomach acid to digest which throws off the PH balance of the body. There are more but you get the point.

I think the more balanced and scientific approach is to vary your diet so you don't miss out on any of the necessary amino acids, poteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals that the body requires. Some preservation methods introduce preservatives, but the wonderful digestive system can easily pass these if your keep your diet balanced.

P.S. if you wanted to have the perfect diet, avoid grains-meat and eat only vegetables, I don't do it but in my research that would the way to go.

Reactions: paraquack

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's why you should store foods you eat anyway - for example, you cannot go wrong with beans and rice stored in 6-gallon buckets. Simply eat beans and rice a couple times every week during "normal" times. Should the SHTF, it will be no hardship on your body to start eating beans and rice 5 times a week.

My advice is that even if you produce your own food, get a year supply stashed in buckets. There may be a reason you cannot plant for a year, or get a poor crop - war, civil unrest, you are forced to leave the area for whatever reason.

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
How would you carry a years worth of food, and a 1000 rounds of ammo for each gun, along with shelter,clothing and meds?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts